Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool (But Sold) eBay Stuff

Good Christ. 5' 11" (conservative guess based on the inseam and arm length), and 33" waist is not small. This suit was made for a taller than average man. Tall does not always mean fat. In fact it usually doesn't, in my experience, and if you're to believe some commentators even less back in the day. next you'll be using the terminology of sellers of clothes for females: "wearable size", "real size" etc. When the average is much much smaller than oneself, i guess it's hard to have a reasonable opinion of what "small" means. Or so the evidence from this forum would suggest [huh]

And anyhow, that price for a 1940s Palm Beach suit in that length of jacket and inseam, with that waist measurement, is a total steal.

bk

Pip

A-List Customer
Baron Kurtz said:
Good Christ. 5' 11" (conservative guess based on the inseam and arm length), and 33" waist is not small. This suit was made for a taller than average man. Tall does not always mean fat. In fact it usually doesn't, in my experience, and if you're to believe some commentators even less back in the day. next you'll be using the terminology of sellers of clothes for females: "wearable size", "real size" etc. When the average is much much smaller than oneself, i guess it's hard to have a reasonable opinion of what "small" means. Or so the evidence from this forum would suggest [huh]

And anyhow, that price for a 1940s Palm Beach suit in that length of jacket and inseam, with that waist measurement, is a total steal.

bk

Couldn't agree more! Certainly not small! I'm 6'1! and that would have fitted me rather bloody nicely!

Macheath

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
Good Christ. 5' 11" (conservative guess based on the inseam and arm length)...

Could be as much as 7', if he was this guy:

Dan-Aykroyd---Coneheads-Photograph-C10040337.jpeg

lol

Quite true, though. There's so much good stuff to be had, if you're on the short side.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:

bk

Yes you are right of course ...I need to stop channeling my 1950s born self onto vintage sizes...[huh] [huh] :D

Baron Kurtz said:

bk

Do I have to break out the stats again? Your average size and weight in this country---I can't speak for others----makes that a small size especially for a man 5'11".
As for women, figure the average size woman today is 5'4", weights 140 lbs and wears a size 14 dress. One third of all American women wear a size 16 or larger. The "ideal" woman--portrayed by models, Miss America, Barbie dolls, and screen actresses--is 5'7", weighs 100 lbs, and wears a size 8. Good luck in finding that in your average. The same is true for men.
We've been through this before. That suit would not fit your average 5'11 man who averages 195lbs here. He would need at least a size 42--more like a 44.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Do I have to break out the stats again? Your average size and weight in this country---I can't speak for others----makes that a small size especially for a man 5'11".
As for women, figure the average size woman today is 5'4", weights 140 lbs and wears a size 14 dress. One third of all American women wear a size 16 or larger. The "ideal" woman--portrayed by models, Miss America, Barbie dolls, and screen actresses--is 5'7", weighs 100 lbs, and wears a size 8. Good luck in finding that in your average. The same is true for men.
We've been through this before. That suit would not fit your average 5'11 man who averages 195lbs here. He would need at least a size 42--more like a 44.

Where do you get your stats from????? 140 pounds for a 5'4" woman?????? 120 pounds more like it.

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
Lincsong said:
Where do you get your stats from????? 140 pounds for a 5'4" woman?????? 120 pounds more like it.

A quick Google search showed that according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the average U.S. woman is 5' 3.7 (162 centimeters) tall and weighs 152 pounds (69 kilograms). This corresponds to a Body Mass Index of 26.3 kilograms/meters², which is slightly less than the average man's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183