Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool (But Sold) eBay Stuff

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Not only does it say "most likely in the 1950s but with pre war styling" in the longer text, but it's listed in "Clothes, Shoes & Accessories > Vintage Clothing & Accessories > Men's > 1930s". That alone reeks.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
Hummm, does that label look 1950s to you? Not to me.

The evidence of the listings mount against this seller. CHARLATAN ALERT!!!!!!

bk

The lambswool label does, but the concord doesn't quite. If everything else in a suit say, pointed to vintage, i might go along with it. But absent that, I suspect late sixties seventies or even eighties.

It may be a company that kept making thesame style.

Lining material looks rather vintage though. Still, that is a loty for a vest.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I thought this was pretty neat.

86bd_1.jpg

9399_1.jpg

9739_1.jpg

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
reetpleat said:
The lambswool label does, but the concord doesn't quite. If everything else in a suit say, pointed to vintage, i might go along with it. But absent that, I suspect late sixties seventies or even eighties.

It may be a company that kept making thesame style.

Lining material looks rather vintage though. Still, that is a loty for a vest.

The seller mentions that he was saving his deadstock for christmas listings.

VB

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
kbadr said:
I just snagged this suit rather cheaply. It's 100% wool, according to the seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260185067926

If it indeed has a belt in the back of the jacket, it looks like it's very similar to the Chinatown suit being sold on MagnoliClothiers.com. If it doesn't fit, I'm sure I'll be throwing it back on ebay in a week.

Hate to burst your bubble, and I could be wrong, but I believe the listing is referring to a belt--that is, an adjusting strap--on the back of the vest.

kbadr

Familiar Face
Orgetorix said:
Hate to burst your bubble, and I could be wrong, but I believe the listing is referring to a belt--that is, an adjusting strap--on the back of the vest.
You are probably right. It's ambiguous at best in the listing. That's ok, though, I still really like the suit and will primarily wear it on stage, without the jacket.

kbadr

Familiar Face
slicedbread said:
I wouldn't be too dissappointed anyways...It's a nice suit.

Well, it fits. At least the vest and jacket fit. I haven't tried the pants, though.

I am considering demanding a refund, though. Maybe you guys can back me up on this--the seller described it as "100% Linen". I received the suit, checked the inside coat pocket, and found a label that says it is "100% Rayon." Doesn't the term "linen" exclude synthetics such as Rayon?

KCE

New in Town
kbadr said:
Well, it fits. At least the vest and jacket fit. I haven't tried the pants, though.

I am considering demanding a refund, though. Maybe you guys can back me up on this--the seller described it as "100% Linen". I received the suit, checked the inside coat pocket, and found a label that says it is "100% Rayon." Doesn't the term "linen" exclude synthetics such as Rayon?

That is total crap. Linen is natural, rayon is synthetic. I would get a refund.

kbadr

Familiar Face
I contacted the seller and it sounds like he's fine with giving me a refund. So that's good. Shame, though. It would have been nice...had it been made of decent material.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Not so fast. If you really wanted linen, you should return it. But if you like the style, rayon is not so bad. It isn't like it is polyester and is really cheap feeling and looking. Rayon is actually a somewhat natural, but synthesized fiber. I think it is considered an accentable decent fabric for such a suit. I have seen vintage versions that seem a lot like raw silk or linen. See how you like it, then decide. Mislabeled, yes. Buty not necesserily an intentional misrepresentation and not really a rip off by inferior substitution.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Linen

If you want to be really pedantic, linen yarn should be spun from the Flax plant Linum usitatissimumen. Most linen today is made from cotton, so it's not 'real' anyway.

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy