Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cosmetic organizers..

Rainbow

Familiar Face
Before I buy something that might not be right, I thought I would check with my "beauty experts" first. Does anyone have any good ideas for a vanity cosmetic organizer? I have makeup of all sizes but a small vanity space. I checked on google, but really couldn't tell much by the pics. The ones I looked at that I really liked were like $45.00, I don't really want to spend that much...Any ideas?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
First of all, what do you mean by 'right'?

Secondly, how big of a surface are you putting the organizer on?

I tend to use cheap little tray baskets from the 99 cent store for -everything-...so its possible you could get multiples of those to sort and organize things for much cheaper then anything else.

Rainbow

Familiar Face
Thank you....

Both of you ladies had good ideas. Goldleaf, I think I found one of the Rubbermaid towers that would be perfect. I never thought of that, I am so uncreative....

ShortClara

One Too Many
I have those stacking drawer things, too, in my bathroom for under the sink. Great for medicines, random girl things, and my contact lenses :)

roselily

One of the Regulars
For my theatrical kit, I use a train case (I used to have a tackle box, which is a much cheaper alternative)

For home I just have a tray on top of my DH's dresser, that I can carry into the bathroom if I need better light.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I use a metal mesh desk organizer. Its got several vertical compartments and storage areas of all sizes and the best part its not that wide. I found it at Wal-Mart for about $7. Mine's in black metal, but I did see them in silver.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
I have a tiny bathroom and a lot of stuff! And no room for cabinets. So I use two of these, since they are small and narrow. It is CD racks from Ikea

27455_PE060834_S4.jpg

I have small baskets in the shelves for my make-up and stuff. The great thing is that the shelfes are adjustable in hight, so i have tall compartments for hairspray and such, and tiny ones for make-up baskets.

lyburnum

Practically Family
I bought my mum a small clear make up box for christmas a couple of years ago. It's really nice. It's a lot like this one:

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P48807&categoryId=C7386&shouldPaginate=true

Personally, I use vintage tin boxes that I've lined with card to store all my different things. I have a box for makeup, one for hair clips and accessories, and one for jewelry too (mostly earrings and broaches). Admittedly though I don't own a huge amount of make up, just the basics, it's my jewelry that takes up the most space. So I got one of those hands to hang all my necklaces off as well.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Organisation? What is that? lol

I have all the high rotation makeup in the medicine cabinet, all the less-frequent stuff in a big plastic box in the corner of the bathroom. It means that less-frequent-usage stuff seldom makes it onto high rotation, but there you go.

Ada Vice

One of the Regulars
I have a set of mini wooden drawers from Ikea which I've painted, and use a vanity case as well. You can pick some lovely vintage vanity cases up these day on ebay or similar. :)

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
You mock the caboodle...I still have mine, although it's full of the rarely-used makeup and resides in the closet in my office. Actually, I think it's mostly a repository for nail-polish and long-removed body piercing jewelry. Frequently used makeup is strewn across my vanity, except for the 4 or 5 lipsticks that end up in my purse.

I could use some organization. I'd be fine if I could stop tossing other random junk onto my vanity. Ugh.

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
CherryWry said:
You mock the caboodle...I still have mine, although it's full of the rarely-used makeup and resides in the closet in my office. Actually, I think it's mostly a repository for nail-polish and long-removed body piercing jewelry. Frequently used makeup is strewn across my vanity, except for the 4 or 5 lipsticks that end up in my purse.

I could use some organization. I'd be fine if I could stop tossing other random junk onto my vanity. Ugh.

Hurray! I'm not alone! My bathroom vanity starts off clean and sparkling by the end of the day it's an confusing mass of moisturizers, hairspray, bobby pins and coffee cups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot