Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Country Innovation Rover Jacket

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndianaGeo

New in Town
I have been looking for a good all weather jacket lately and came across one I thought might fit the bill. It´s the Rover jacket by Country Innovation. What is important to me oftentimes in my purchase decision is where the item is made. I cannot see paying top dollar for items where labor costs are a tiny fraction of what they are in more economically prosperous countries, not to mention quality control issues. So I sent an email to Country Innovation to see where the jacket was made, even though on their website, in the photo, the tag on the jacket says "Made in Scotland". But I just wanted to confirm. Here´s a copy-paste of that exact email section:

Hi,
> > Could you please tell me in what country your Rover Jacket is made?
> > thanks.
> >
> > Regards,
> > George
> >
> >
> George.
> The Rover Jkt is made from ventile which is the top two
> percent of the cotton crop. ie very high grade cotton.
> Hope that helps, regards,Ian.

Now obviously this didn´t answer my question. I thought, "How evasive." So I pressed them again and sent a follow up email to which I was given this reply:

"Dear George,
In reply to your query re our Rover Jackets. They are made by a company
called Keela International in Scotland or their sister company in Sri
Lanka. Best wishes, Annie."

From a supplier who has a "sister company in Sri Lanka"?? Wow, interesting. So in my head there are red flags going up. Where are these jackets made...and why would I be charged 275 British pounds for a jacket made in Sri Lanka?? And why would the jacket on the website be labelled "Made in Scotland"?? More red flags.

Does anyone else feel the way I do about where a jacket is made? I feel it´s part of the buying decision in many people´s minds. I think if one pays top dollar for something, and is led to believe the item is made in a certain place, then it ought to be made there. I feel very manipulated by this apparent misleading advertising.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I'm more interested in quality than anything else. I tend, when I can afford it, to buy stuff that's been made with skill and care, wherever it's made.

Ventile is an expensive trademarked fabric, so anything made from it will probably be relatively dear, no matter where's its made/assembled.

Why would you assume that a garment made in Sri Lanka from high quality materials and shipped to the UK, where its made available under strict consumer legislation, should be cheaper than one cut and stitched together here?

I see what you mean about the visible 'Made in Scotland' label, though.

IndianaGeo

New in Town
Where made

CP, Quality is important to me as well and where something is made, particularly when buying off the internet where I can´t touch or truly experience the product, is one clue to that. For the same reason many people care to buy Chinese food from an authentic Chinese restaurant, I prefer to buy something like a good all weather jacket from a place like Scotland or England. I think it all has to do with the "brand" and the actual or perceived quality of the brand. The country of origin can be brandworthy in and of itself. (example...toys made with lead paint from China have given China a deservedly bad rap lately). Why buy a Rolex made in Switzerland when we can tell time with a plastic Micky Mouse watch made in China? The same dynamic to a lesser extent is at work here. Companies know the value of branding. Branding is most dearly important and protected by many firms. Lastly, I prefer to support, more or less, local workers ( I live in London, England).

I tend to think that the average wage earner in Sri Lanka does not make the wage that an earner in Scotland does. I could be wrong about that, but I suspect not. So why would I think that a Sri Lankan-made product is cheaper to make than the Scotland based one? Well, simple...for the same answer to the question of why would a firm based in Scotland manufacture goods in Sri Lanka to being with...--because it´s cheaper to make in a country with cheaper labor of course.

Again, I feel quite misled up to now with Country Innovation given that their website shows a "Made in Scotland" label on the jacket, not to mention that they are also misleading because the product is further made by a third party. I doubt they´d sell as many jackets for the same asking price with a "Made in Sri Lanka" photo on the site.

IndianaGeo

New in Town
Made in Scotland

I just received a reply from Country Innovation and they assured me that if I want a jacket from their Scotland factory I can obtain one. Apparently skilled labor is difficult to come by these days in the more industrialised world and they have to outsource a bit of work to Sri Lanka. If it says Made in Scotland on label, they assured me it was made there. I can live with that. Their customer service appears to be very good as my inquiries were answered quickly and professionally. I like this company and intend on doing some business with them. Thanks Country Innovation.

IndianaGeo

New in Town
Yes, dead thread

Hi CP, Yes, a dead thread from here. I tried to delete it but can´t seem to be able to figure that out. Any thoughts?
Rgds,
Geo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart