Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Couple of questions concerning leather loafers and shoe trees

Lorinz

Familiar Face
I just got a pair of leather loafers in a size 8.5, and ordered a shoe tree for them, sadly its been delayed and may not get here til April 3rd(assuming it isn't lost in the mail). I wasn't sure if I should just buy a shoe tree in the store tomorrow, or wait to see if the one I ordered arrives and use the tissue paper the loafers came with until then. Would it be safe to wait, or will I be risking the shoes collapsing in that timeframe? I heard Loafers can't go for long without shoe trees before they start to deform in shape.

Also, I have a western boot tree that I use for a pair of my western boots that has a size range of 8-9.5, would it be safe to use in the meantime, or would it be a bit too large to use for my 8.5 loafers? I don't want to risk this tree being a bit too large and causing damage trying to use it.

AHP91

Practically Family
The new shoes will be fine for a while brotha. Put some newspaper in the kicks if you want to. Don’t try forcing any boot tree in

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Only on 3 April? A lot Much too late. By then, the shoes will be absolutely unsightly, if they don't even turn to dust.

Seriously, if you're really that panicked, wear sneakers until the shoe trees arrive.
Some of your posts make me wonder whether you really enjoy the expensive items and whether it wouldn't be much more relaxed to wear things that you don't want to pay so much attention to.
I mean, these are everyday items that should fulfil a purpose. If shoes can't last three days without shoe trees or leather jackets can't stand a drop of rain, then they shouldn't have been shoes or jackets.

Faux59

New in Town
You're worrying over nothing. Those shoes you bought weren't made yesterday and sat in a box somewhere for months and months without trees. Were they deformed when you got them?

Last edited:

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Buy it today. This happened to my brother, his shoe trees were delayed and the loafers he was wearing collapsed on his feet, forming a black hole which sucked him in.

All that remained to be put into the coffin were the loafers.

Gosh, really?!? So sorry for your loss, Ivan! Bummer, that you weren’t able to secure the shoes for your own use too!

Observe

One Too Many
I regret to inform you that your loafers will explode if not properly stored with shoe trees. The trees prevent volatile gas buildup in the interior of the shoes. I also recommend you invest in a quality concrete bomb shelter as a precaution in the event that your improperly stored footwear begin to detonate.

I know I’ve been critical of some of the more ridiculous threads lately but this one really does sound an alarm bell. Be careful out there guys. Actual photo of my $1500 loafer, worn once walking to pick up my Persian kitty from the groomer, and no shoe tree to rest it on afterword:
IMG_2539.jpeg

Luckily it was a loafer, so you couldn’t really tell it was any worse off from new, as the start point is already something like a hybrid of John Wayne Gacy and Mister Rogers.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I know I’ve been critical of some of the more ridiculous threads lately but this one really does sound an alarm bell. Be careful out there guys. Actual photo of my $1500 loafer, worn once walking to pick up my Persian kitty from the groomer, and no shoe tree to rest it on afterword:
View attachment 603347
Luckily it was a loafer, so you couldn’t really tell it was any worse off from new, as the start point is already something like a hybrid of John Wayne Gacy and Mister Rogers.

Awesome patina on this one! Maybe the sleeves are a tad long but that’s nitpicking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner