Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots and Business Suits

Bart

Familiar Face
My dress shoes and loafers have gathered dust as I've been favoring cowboy boots. I like the look and they take a good shine. For those of you who wear boots, do you wear them year round and with business suits? If so, should I have the slacks retailored to remove the cuffs and rehemmed for the boots? Maybe the boots would clash with a traditional business suit and I should look for western cut suits and shirts. If so, where to without travel through Texas and points west? Thanks for your ideas. Bart

Boy, Howdy!

In the West and South West you would not be out of style but other areas of the US it may not be quite as acceptable. Out west you can also do the String tie for a classic western bent. Boy, Howdy!

Sincerely,

Bart

Familiar Face
ii-5-i

Do your slacks have cuffs or cuffless? Kangaroo boots, eh? Big price for those, I bet. You don't wear the typical cowboy boots with the higher heels?
Thanks for your reply,Bart

Bart

Familiar Face
Boy, Howdy

Maybe an off the wall idea, but thought I'd put it out there. I wouldn't go the string tie route, but I like wearing my Lucchese boots and think they'd look good if I have the cuffs taken off and rehemmed the slacks to the boots.

Thanks John

ii-5-i

New in Town
Bart

Kangaroo is usually about the third tier from the bottom pricewise. Expect to spend @ 230. for a pair. As far as cuffs go, either way works for me. I cover an upper Midwest sales territory from Ohio to the Dakotas all the way down to Kansas and Missouri and have never been selfconsious about wearing them in a business setting.....cuffed or cuffless.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Back when I wore suits if I felt like wearing boots I did and not just in the Southwest. It's just like wearing a fedora. If you wear it you look good and don't care what anyone comments about it wherever you are. Same with boots. Life's too short to conform to what "they" say.:fedora:

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Business Suits? HELL YES!

I prefer Italian suits with cuffs. With my job now I wear a suit only once a week and I have no problem wearing my Cape Buffalo boots with any of my suits. When I get a new suit I'll have them hemmed to whatever dress shoe I'm wearing. I live in California near the Sierra's so it's still somewhat Wild West here. I travel to the San Francisco Bay Area a lot during the week. So over there I get some negative comments, but I just chalk it up to the type of people that live there. When I wore a suit every day, if I felt like wearing my cowboy boots I'd put them on. Don't worry what anyone says or thinks. As long as it's a good looking pair of boots.:cheers1:

Business Suits? HELL NO!!

We do not favor this combination here in the cutured Northeast. Even though most boot-wearers are not ranchers, we remain nervous about what those boots may have stepped in. Stick to wingtips.

Sardou
(tongue firmly in cheek)

PS: In New York, a blue pinstripe suit with cowboy boots screams "Texan with issues!"
In Houston (as I understand it), it screams "New York transplant seeking acceptance!" Go figure.

Bart

Familiar Face
Hell, Yes!!

Wingtips? Good grief, those heavy soled brogues that went out with the tight, skinny pants and narrow ties worn by the Rat Pack? As for New York, what New Yorker doesn't have issues? A navy blue pin stripe suit with a pair of shiny, black cowboy boots says, "Move over". As for Houston, they'd probably say "Dude" once they heard your New York accent. Bite that tongue, Man!

bgbdesign

New in Town
When I wore suits often I occasionally wore western boots with suits in the midwest as I pleased. As I see it, it's the same as any shoe worn with a suit- low key,correct color, not too extreme style works just fine.

I used to wear a pair of vintage 50's black leather Acme boots with a small square toe(forget the designation now)and a medium slant heel. It was a quality leather boot and took a shine well(hint). I added rather soft heel plates so my arrival was not announced on floors.

The Acme uppers were fancy eagle cutouts but not rarely seen and usually Iwore them with wool suits so the trouser drape was better. I did need 1/2 to3/4 inch added length for a proper break.

I ALWAYS wore them with my 40's tux- tuxedo every new years eve no matter where we went!

The people who make negative comments are usually ones who could not make it out the door with the look they see on you! I smile at them....

so it goes
bg

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Cowboys boots and business suits...hmmmm just seems wrong in my book. I come from a cowboy family from the San Luis Valley of Colorado, and the men in our family always just wore western suits with cowboy boots. Cowboy boots and business suits seem more like a fashion statement than a true reflection of the western lifestyle. I was in DC during the presidential inaugaration and I remember seeing alot of corporate executive types (with hands as soft as peaches) sporting this look.

geo

Nothing to add to the discussion, just showing off my new avatar (although it's somewhat related to the topic at hand).

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
One of my favorite outfits...

...for spring through fall is a cream-colored linen three-button suit, crisp white shirt with no tie, and my old medium brown Lucchese boots with 1.5/1.75-inch heels, well-shined, of course. Is a linen suit technically a "business suit"? Maybe not, but I work as a photographer and journalist, so people don't expect a three-piece pinstripe. When I wear THAT suit, I don't wear cowboy boots. I usually wear lace-up ropers with the kiltie removed, which is a nice compromise. They look like dress shoes on the bottom, but have a decent heel and still feel like boots.

Really, just wear what you like and don't worry about what people say. I actually think it looks better to wear cowboy boots with a regular suit than with a so-called Western suit: The latter combo makes it look too much like you're trying to look western, and it doesn't appear that "looking western" is what you're going for.

I would also avoid wearing a western hat if you're wearing boots, with business wear. Too much of a specific "look" and you'll appear to be wearing a costume.

As a side note, whenever I travel, I stop in the airport or train station to get a shoe shine after I arrive at my destination. It gives me a few minutes off my feet, you get a good foot rub (through the leather, of course), and lets me relax. The only times I have ever had a shoeshine man comment on my footwear have been when I was wearing my Lucchese or Tony Lama boots -- and every single comment has been positive!! When people who look at shoes all day take the time to compliment your shoes, you've done something right, I think.

jpdesign

Vendor
A square toe about an inch to an inch and a quarter across is a seven toe. It is acceptable to wear with a suit. the newest thing for dress boot is a french toe. The sole leather is square(about an inch and a half wide) but the vamp is rolled off, not sqaure top to bottom. Boots are fine leather footwear, some of the highest quality foot wear available today is made by boot companies.

Bart

Familiar Face
JP

Yes, JP, it is a real nice look and I have a pair of Lucchese boots with the "French Toe", but, unfortunately, that is the only pair, the other boots have either round or semi pointed toes.

Bart

Familiar Face
JR wore cowboy boots

That's right! He did wear boots with his suits and wore Sue Ellen into the ground at the same time. But I can't say I remember the suits that Jock wore. That was long ago...and good TV. How to get some shots from the series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy