Cowboy Boots

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Jack Scorpion, May 17, 2005.

1. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

^^^^or some of those cutie pie compression stockings with the hole for the toes.
    I’ll never tell.
    That stitch pattern is fabulous!!
    I’d carry em around just to be close.
    B

BobHufford likes this.
  2. Oh no. I move so much faster in my Boot Scoots. Never need to walk again or flipflop.

3. Rosecitymike

Rosecitymike Familiar Face

Thanks for the input!

4. You a carhop at Sonic?

Bamaboots likes this.
  5. No..I'm a slam you down bouncer at Texas Roadhouse.

6. How do you skate over all the peanut shells?

Bamaboots likes this.
  7. How? Didn't you notice the hvy duty suspension on these Boot Scoots..?? Not for the faint of heart.

8. I guess that would help with the body English, especially with the line dancing & all they do at those places.

HoosierDaddy likes this.
  9. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Getting this thread headed back towards the vintage side with a little discussion and comparison. We do side by side with hats, so here we have some TL's from different eras for comparison. Both at the top of their respective game for their eras, though I imagine that the black pair were more representative of their time, in general, than the El Rey's. More of a boot for the masses, if you will. The El Rey's were a special run in the early 80's and dependent on the hides, could reach $1k. These are French calf that sold in the $6-$700 range.

TL, along with the other two from the Big Three got their start in expansion with mail order without a lot of a store presence for awhile. I've read read where TL had something in the area of 55,000 individual lasts. Just try and imagine the logistics of that. All mail order.
    CIMG6041.JPG
    The black boots are made with a kangaroo vamp and calf top. The French Calf El Rey's have a goat or "kid" top as is typical for TL.
    CIMG6042.JPG CIMG6043.JPG
    The black boots have a leather heel rand as opposed to plastic for the El Rey's.
    CIMG6044.JPG
    Full length overlays on the pulls of both boots but look how poorly finished the El Rey's are. The single row of stitching doesn't look nearly as secure either.
    CIMG6045.JPG CIMG6046.JPG CIMG6047.JPG CIMG6048.JPG

Both pair are finished well around the arch support. CIMG6049.JPG CIMG6050.JPG

Cont.

10. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Cont.

The finish of the shank area is really what stands out on the old boots. As smooth and deeply finished as a pair of customs. My pictures don't really do this justice but the arches are really rolled and pegged well. Typical of TL, one row of wooden and another row of brass pegs. Not unusual but maybe more common in a SW boot, say AZ or NM.
    CIMG6051.JPG CIMG6052.JPG
    An El Rey trademark; three rows of pegging with two of wood and one of brass. The arches are not rolled as well but the overall construction is good. TL has used the three rows on other runs; Gold Label's and the 1984 Signature Series come to mind but I have seen it used in an almost random fashion among boots that were special but not specially labeled.
    CIMG6053.JPG CIMG6054.JPG

Looks at the shafts of both boots will confirm that they were hand stitched, one row at a time. The shaft of the black boots
    has a row of variegated stitching among the three rows. Which one?
    CIMG6055.JPG CIMG6056.JPG CIMG6057.JPG
    Looking closely at the toe of the black boot one sees that there was a waver in the stitch along the welt. In today's world that would be a QC reject. Then, as today, proof that the boots were hand made.
    CIMG6058.JPG CIMG6059.JPG
    Anyone looking for a 9 1/2 El Rey, let me know.
    CIMG6060.JPG

11. Recoil Rob

Recoil Rob Familiar Face

Center row varigated...thanks for this tutorial!

Bamaboots likes this.
  12. ^^^^^ Great post Greg!

Bamaboots likes this.
  13. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Great images and excellent write-up Greg. I very much enjoy these types of posts. Thanks for taking the time.
    You sure sharpened my eye on some boot detail. Love both pair.
    Bowen

Bamaboots likes this.
  14. Picked up a pair of well worn Stallion Majestic Crocodile w/Buffalo boots on Goodwill. Hopefully they will fit and I can then get them resoled. Thanks to @Bamaboots for the I.D. and advice. I'm enjoying the ride down this slide...

Stallion_Majestic_Crocodile_Buffalo_Boots_1.jpg

Stallion_Majestic_Crocodile_Buffalo_Boots_6.jpg

Stallion_Majestic_Crocodile_Buffalo_Boots_2.jpg

Stallion_Majestic_Crocodile_Buffalo_Boots_4.jpg

15. Aaronlowe

Aaronlowe One of the Regulars

BobHufford likes this.
  16. Thanks Aaron. Hopefully I won't have to convert them to sandals... :eek:

17. Unmarked bootmaker, double eagles

IMG_1274.JPG

18. dh66

dh66

BobHufford likes this.
  19. dh66

dh66

Nothing subtle about these. I like 'em a LOT!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hurricane Jack likes this.
  20. Desert dog

Desert dog Call Me a Cab

BobHufford likes this.