Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
^^^^or some of those cutie pie compression stockings with the hole for the toes.
I’ll never tell.
That stitch pattern is fabulous!!
I’d carry em around just to be close.
B

My new Lucchese 'Boot Scoots'. They were just released .....

52611665_571915416636028_6623447608952094720_n.jpg
You a carhop at Sonic?

Getting this thread headed back towards the vintage side with a little discussion and comparison. We do side by side with hats, so here we have some TL's from different eras for comparison. Both at the top of their respective game for their eras, though I imagine that the black pair were more representative of their time, in general, than the El Rey's. More of a boot for the masses, if you will. The El Rey's were a special run in the early 80's and dependent on the hides, could reach $1k. These are French calf that sold in the $6-$700 range.

TL, along with the other two from the Big Three got their start in expansion with mail order without a lot of a store presence for awhile. I've read read where TL had something in the area of 55,000 individual lasts. Just try and imagine the logistics of that. All mail order.
CIMG6041.JPG

The black boots are made with a kangaroo vamp and calf top. The French Calf El Rey's have a goat or "kid" top as is typical for TL.
CIMG6042.JPG
CIMG6043.JPG

The black boots have a leather heel rand as opposed to plastic for the El Rey's.
CIMG6044.JPG

Full length overlays on the pulls of both boots but look how poorly finished the El Rey's are. The single row of stitching doesn't look nearly as secure either.
CIMG6045.JPG
CIMG6046.JPG
CIMG6047.JPG
CIMG6048.JPG

Both pair are finished well around the arch support.
CIMG6049.JPG
CIMG6050.JPG

Cont.

Cont.

The finish of the shank area is really what stands out on the old boots. As smooth and deeply finished as a pair of customs. My pictures don't really do this justice but the arches are really rolled and pegged well. Typical of TL, one row of wooden and another row of brass pegs. Not unusual but maybe more common in a SW boot, say AZ or NM.
CIMG6051.JPG
CIMG6052.JPG

An El Rey trademark; three rows of pegging with two of wood and one of brass. The arches are not rolled as well but the overall construction is good. TL has used the three rows on other runs; Gold Label's and the 1984 Signature Series come to mind but I have seen it used in an almost random fashion among boots that were special but not specially labeled.
CIMG6053.JPG
CIMG6054.JPG

Looks at the shafts of both boots will confirm that they were hand stitched, one row at a time. The shaft of the black boots
has a row of variegated stitching among the three rows. Which one?
CIMG6055.JPG
CIMG6056.JPG
CIMG6057.JPG

Looking closely at the toe of the black boot one sees that there was a waver in the stitch along the welt. In today's world that would be a QC reject. Then, as today, proof that the boots were hand made.
CIMG6058.JPG
CIMG6059.JPG

Anyone looking for a 9 1/2 El Rey, let me know.
CIMG6060.JPG

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Great images and excellent write-up Greg. I very much enjoy these types of posts. Thanks for taking the time.
You sure sharpened my eye on some boot detail. Love both pair.
Bowen

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk