Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Amos f h

Familiar Face
6be307afa6d1600a96c66e4df0ea67f3.jpg
resting with my Lucasse on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mercer

One of the Regulars
anyone here never tuck your jeans into your boots?

The only time it would be ok to do that is if it were really muddy or if, as Bamaboots stated, if you were in the presence of barnyard acids. But even then it would only look right if your cowboy boots were work-type boots (which are usually a little shorter than standard cowboy boots). In addition, a half-tuck (one side of your pants leg in your boot) would look better than a full tuck.

Seskoad1978

New in Town
Perhaps these boots aren't vintage enough, but I got 'em for Christmas. They're tan mad dog goat Lucchese Since 1883 (brown label -- made in USA). I had that same style once upon a time but with narrow snip toes. I didn't like the way it looked; I was a die-hard medium round toe guy. But I decided to try something different this time, and I must admit I really like this style of toe -- not round toe but not narrow snip toe either and certainly not outright square toe.

french toe

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
The only time it would be ok to do that is if it were really muddy or if, as Bamaboots stated, if you were in the presence of barnyard acids. But even then it would only look right if your cowboy boots were work-type boots (which are usually a little shorter than standard cowboy boots). In addition, a half-tuck (one side of your pants leg in your boot) would look better than a full tuck.

Interesting. I guess a positive for a long boot is if it's really muddy you can tuck. I have always worn jeans over all my boots so how the upper looks isn't really much of a concern to me.

Interesting. I guess a positive for a long boot is if it's really muddy you can tuck. I have always worn jeans over all my boots so how the upper looks isn't really much of a concern to me.

Yeah, the saying about boot tops is kinda like the mullet haircut where it was business in the front, party in the back. Boots are business on the bottom and party on the top. I like fancy stitching and inlays, even though they are rarely seen by others but when they are it usually elicits a positive response.

Motocowboy

New in Town
So I am new to the forum but I have spent time reading and looking at this thread in particular. Love the classic boots and the great amount of knowledge that is here. I am a person who only wears cowboy boots or White's Packer boots. I have been wearing boots for over 40 years and wanted to pass along to the all the issues I have had dealing with Paul Bond Boots. I have always wanted a pair of French Waxed Calf boots, mostly I wear working cowboy boots with 16" tops. My main supplier has been Wilson Boots for the last 31 years.
I have been dealing with Micheal at Paul Bond Boots as I see some others on the forum have and after sending in my tracings and measurements I agreed to have Micheal send me a pair of boots to try on for size. I wear a 7 ½ EE usually and he wanted to send me a 8 ½ EE as he says the heal measurement was the most important measurement. I agreed and paid with a credit card to have him send the boots. The boots were much to big as I thought they would be and called him to send them back for return and have the money returned to my credit card.

So I am new to the forum but I have spent time reading and looking at this thread in particular. Love the classic boots and the great amount of knowledge that is here. I am a person who only wears cowboy boots or White's Packer boots. I have been wearing boots for over 40 years and wanted to pass along to the all the issues I have had dealing with Paul Bond Boots. I have always wanted a pair of French Waxed Calf boots, mostly I wear working cowboy boots with 16" tops. My main supplier has been Wilson Boots for the last 31 years.
I have been dealing with Micheal at Paul Bond Boots as I see some others on the forum have and after sending in my tracings and measurements I agreed to have Micheal send me a pair of boots to try on for size. I wear a 7 ½ EE usually and he wanted to send me a 8 ½ EE as he says the heal measurement was the most important measurement. I agreed and paid with a credit card to have him send the boots. The boots were much to big as I thought they would be and called him to send them back for return and have the money returned to my credit card.

Welcome to the forum, Motocowboy. Anxious to find out what the response was from Paul Bond Boots and what your experience has been like with them.

Motocowboy

New in Town
Welcome to the forum, Motocowboy. Anxious to find out what the response was from Paul Bond Boots and what your experience has been like with them.

So far my experience has not been good. I like the quality of the boots I received to try on but they were way to big. Not sure why this is but cowboy boots need to be snug over the instep and were the vamp and shaft are on your foot to keep your heal in place and I could grab the leather over the instep and pull up way to much. I have a very high instep and arch and 8 ½ EE is just to big. I wanted to buy boots but Michael said I needed to have them custom made and he did not want to send me 7 ½ EE because of the measurements I sent him. I decided not to take the chance as I should be able to get a much better fit from the stock work boots.

Attached are 2 photos trying to show how much leather is at the instep.

Not having the money returned to my credit card is my biggest issue. In this day and age you do a return and in a few days it is back on your card.

Attachments

• IMG_0779.jpg
    IMG_0779.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0781.jpg
    IMG_0781.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 140
So far my experience has not been good. I like the quality of the boots I received to try on but they were way to big. Not sure why this is but cowboy boots need to be snug over the instep and were the vamp and shaft are on your foot to keep your heal in place and I could grab the leather over the instep and pull up way to much. I have a very high instep and arch and 8 ½ EE is just to big. I wanted to buy boots but Michael said I needed to have them custom made and he did not want to send me 7 ½ EE because of the measurements I sent him. I decided not to take the chance as I should be able to get a much better fit from the stock work boots.

Not having the money returned to my credit card is my biggest issue. In this day and age you do a return and in a few days it is back on your card.

Damn! I've had baggy, worn out socks that fit more snug than those do. Boots, especially new ones should be almost difficult to get on with an almost audible "swoosh" or pop as your foot settles into them. It sounds as if they were trying to sell you what they had more than what you need. Made to measure is always a better route to go but that is a far off fit under any circumstance. Keep us posted.

Motocowboy

New in Town
Damn! I've had baggy, worn out socks that fit more snug than those do. Boots, especially new ones should be almost difficult to get on with an almost audible "swoosh" or pop as your foot settles into them. It sounds as if they were trying to sell you what they had more than what you need. Made to measure is always a better route to go but that is a far off fit under any circumstance. Keep us posted.

Well with 40 years in cowboy boots and wearing some good well made boots over the years I too was shocked when I put my foot into the first boot and my foot fell in without any noise! I am used to having to work my boots on because I have a high instep and arch. These had no resistance on the left foot and on the right foot I could feel for a bit my instep touching the boot.

I am thinking too that they wanted to sell me made to measure boots, I ask them to send me a 7 ½ EE and I was told I would have to wait for it to be made and because it is not what they had sized me too I would have to keep the boots no returns. Not the way I think business should be done. I hope others don't have the same issues or they can be avoided by my issues.

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars

Welcome Moto! I'm sorry you had a negative experience with PB--my dealings have always been positive (worked with Art the last time)--they missed on the fit of my latest custom boots the first time around (my measurements had changed some from my prior order many years before) but they were quick to remedy it, and they sent me some swag for the trouble. Art said that Mr. Bond insisted that a customer must be fully satisfied with the fit, and that they continue to honor his wishes. I don't think I could fit an off the rack boot myself and I have gone custom. Funny I went to the Wilson factory store when I was in MT and tried on every boot close to my size and couldn't find anything to fit. I believe PB is now out sourcing the in stock working cowboy boots now. I'm guessing that if you gave them a call and stated your dissatisfaction that they would remedy it quickly.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ