Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Lincsong said:
Huh?:eek: What's up with that? The sites are advertising "goat skin" so either it's false advertising or the ban has been lifted. It could also be an individual state thing. I believe that kangaroo hides can't be sold in California, but are allowed in other states??[huh]

If they are selling them again, that's great. After mine got stolen, I looked high and low for another pair and was told they were no longer allowed for import. Yes, I have heard of the Kangaroo ban also.

M8

Mark George

New in Town
Seems odd that goat hide would be banned. Goats are domesticated animals, bred and raised for food worldwide. I know Lucchese still makes goat boots, and there are plenty of jackets available that are goatskin. But, of course, stranger things have happened...

I would like to follow up on something I mentioned in an earlier post: I visited Loveless Boots and Shoes in OKC on Wednesday afternoon. Man, was I impressed! They have a huge facility that makes custom shoes and boots out of a vast array of hides (38 colors of ostrich!). All of their footwear is built to the customer's foot and includes a built-in orthotic footbed. So, not only do they take the usual measurements, the contours of the bottom of the foot are accounted for, as well. They have many examples of their work on display, and the quality appears to be excellent. As I mentioned, they also make shoes in any style and leather you want. I ordered some high-top wingtip dress shoes in black calf skin. Loveless is not inexpensive, but the prices are comparable to other custom makers. If you have always wanted a particular combination of characteristics in a shoe or boot, but couldn't find it off the shelf, you might want to give them a call.

www.lovelessboots.com

Mark

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Not sure what the deal was on the goats. Like I said, dated, and something to do with Greece.

Gotta echo the Loveless recommendation. They are well known south of the Red River.

M8

Mark George

New in Town
Lincsong,

Loveless may have fitting kits they can send out so you can measure yourself, I don't know. I do know some custom makers won't guarantee fit unless they do the measurements. Maybe give them a call.

Mark

plain old dave

A-List Customer
My .10:

Lucchese (sp?) are probably the best mass produced boots around. Only thing is, I don't care for exotic leathers.

Next down the list is Tony Lama. I have a pair of uber-cool wingtip Tony Llamas I wear on special occasions.

Finally would be Justin. I had a pair of bullhide Justin lace-up ropers that the leather finally gave out on after 4 re-soles.

chuckknight

New in Town
I'm a born and bred Texan, and wear boots almost constantly. If I'm not in boots, I'm in Birkenstocks. Yes, comfort is of tremendous importance to me, as is classic design.

Consequently, I'm surprised noone has mentioned one of the best "off the shelf" boutique brands -- Rios of Mercedes. They're made in Mercedes, TX. Wonderful, beautifully made boots that wear like iron.

I have 2 pair of them, and they're gorgeous. I also have Sendra, TexTan, Nocona, Tony Lama, Justin, Ariat, Rocky, and many MANY others.

Justin ropers are not "good" boots. In fact, they're used for work boots around here -- they're the ones you wear if you don't want to ruin your good pairs. Essentially, they're the tennis shoe of boots. Pretty attractive with a properly cut pair of slacks, though, for a "business casual" look.

And, to those who think boots are uncomfortable...they don't fit you. Chances are that they're too short. Pointed toes, round toes, who cares? If they fit, they're comfortable! It's that simple. Round toes just happen to be easier to fit properly, so they're more comfortable for the casual boot wearer. The ball of your foot should fit into the widest part of the boot...and your toes should not feel cramped or pinched. EVER! The instep should also be snug...cowhide will stretch with wear, but you shouldn't have them tight.

Properly fitted boots feel better than sneakers, are more supportive, and will not make your feet tired. They're actually recommended by the American Podiatric Society, because of the high, steel supported arch.

-- Chuck Knight

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
chuckknight said:
...Justin ropers are not "good" boots. In fact, they're used for work boots around here -- they're the ones you wear if you don't want to ruin your good pairs. Essentially, they're the tennis shoe of boots. Pretty attractive with a properly cut pair of slacks, though, for a "business casual" look...

Fellow Texan here. Naturalized (I got here as quick as I could!). The quip about the ropers is correct. They are a go-to casual and work shoe. Mine are the cheap, unpolished, rough-finish kind. I wear them a lot just for kicking around, riding the motorcycle, etc. Broke them in with Neat's Foot oil and mink oil.

M8

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
chuckknight said:
Properly fitted boots feel better than sneakers, are more supportive, and will not make your feet tired. They're actually recommended by the American Podiatric Society, because of the high, steel supported arch.

-- Chuck Knight

That alone is reason enough to wear boots. I have well formed arches and it feels great when I wear cowboy boots.:eusa_clap

Enbee

New in Town
Firstly, as this is my first post, I must say hello to all you Ladies and Gentlemen. Being an Englishman with a huge admiration for American culture I am finding this a very absorbing forum and look forward to exploring it further

On the subject of cowboy boots, I have been trying to learn about them recently and this thread has been immensely interesting and informative. I noticed however that Larry Mahan's haven't been mentioned. Now my knowledge of cowboy boots can be written on the back of a cigarette packet but I read Cormac Macarthy's "No Country for Old Men" recently in which there were several favourable references to them. How do you guys rate them?, are they in the same league as Tony Llamas, Lucchese, etc?

The reason I am interested is that I am hankering after buying a pair of good American made boots but as I will have to buy online without actually seeing them its a bit of gamble so am compiling a list of reputable makers to choose from

Cheers
Enbee

Mark George

New in Town
Welcome Enbee!
You will enjoy this website; Breathtaking amounts of information and very knowledgeable people abound.

I will try to help, but others will know more. If you haven't already done this, go to www.dimlights.com, Jennifer June's website about cowboy boots. It is a wealth of information. In particular, click on "Bulletin Board," and spend a couple of weeks looking and searching through there. Lots of information about Larry Mahan boots. I will go so far as to say, don't buy anything until you have looked at Jennifer's website.

I don't think Larry Mahan is a boot company anymore (if it ever was). That brand name is applied to boots made by other companies (currently, Montague?). Anyway, someone will correct me, or you can find out yourself on Jennifer's website.

You may also consider eBay if you know your approximate size. There are a whole lot of boots to choose from, and if you stay away from exotics, used boots are very affordable. Ask questions of the sellers, find out if it says "Made in USA" on the boots, stick with known brands, and you should be fine. I have bought excellent calfskin boots off eBay for a song. If you acquire a few pair that way, you can hone in on your exact size, and learn a little it before spending big bucks on new ones. If you end up with something you don't like, put 'em back on eBay! I would consider Justin, Tony Lama, Nocona, Anderson Bean, Larry Mahan, and Dan Post as likely candidates. Or, spend a little more for (old) Luccheses or Rios of Mercedes. Also, go to a reputable shoe store and have your feet measured - you may be a different size than you think you are. Then you can do the English to American conversion with more confidence.

Welcome and good luck!

Mark

Enbee

New in Town
Mark, Thank you for the welcome, the advice and the address of that very interesting site. Much appreciated

Custom, Thank you for the recommendation, another maker added to the list!

Cheers
Enbee

Highlander

A-List Customer
For that custom boot that's factory made... Bluchers...

They are the tall tops and the 2 1/2 Riding heels. They are "the real thing"....

You see lots of ropers now, and they are in with the cowboys. But, the Bluchers are the real riding boots.

I have Olathe's, and Tony Lamas. I have an old Pair of Nacona Tall Tops with the 2 1/2 underslung heels.. Great riding boots. So are the Olathe's they have the tall (up under my knees) with the tall riding heels. Ankle breakers though if you're out walking. :)

Here's a photo of the Blucher Boot:
no060.jpg

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I finally got a call last month from the store where I ordered my latest pair of cowboy boots. Lucchesse 2000 size 8.5 EEE. It took 5 months to get them! I had the shoe repairman put a topy sole on the leather soles so they don't wear out. I've wore them for a month now and they are excellent.:eusa_clap Definetly worth the wait for a pair of boots that fit properly. These are elk skinned.

Crane's

Familiar Face
I have a pair of Justin boar hide boots that have been around for five motorcycles, 2 horses and all kinds of stompin' around. They still look pretty good after all these years. So as far as a durable long lasting hide is concerned you can add boar to the list.

JP147

New in Town
I have a pair of old alligator skin boots, USA made, that look great and wear very well. Bought them second hand for about $300 a few years ago but haven't seen a new pair that I could ever afford.

freebird

Practically Family
I've got two pair, one pair of Tony Lama buckaroo packers (lace up's with an 18 inch top and the cowboy heel) and a pair of Nocona buckaroo bull hide boots also with the cowboy heel and 18 inch tops. Love both pair. Had a pair of high top Olathe's, purple top with brown mule foot but they were a little snug and I couldn't wear them after the accident and gave those away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany