Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crazy Hat Cleaning Situation

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
i know that theres a few threads on hat cleaning, but i havent found one similar to my situation.

heres my problem, a piece of garbage urinated on one of my fur felt fedoras...(i never thought i would actually be typing or saying that)... i dont want to get into details of what happend next (im getting angry just remembering the situtation), but i know for a fact, that person will never ever forget the backlash....

so does someone please know, the name of a place in New York City, where i could have my hat completely washed and disinfected, without it being damaged?

Holy $h&#

He's still with us....[huh]

You are a better man than I my friend.:rage: :rage: :rage:

Dunno....But, I just cleaned a hat and used Coleman brand fuel and it worked very well. I can't see how that would not take the foul outta the lid.

You might want to give it a try.

I soaked mien for 24 hrs., hung it out to evaporate. It was dry in a half hour and the felt had absoutely no odor at all.

All the best man.....

Fedord Spaniard said:
i know that theres a few threads on hat cleaning, but i havent found one similar to my situation.

heres my problem, a piece of garbage urinated on one of my fur felt fedoras...(i never thought i would actually be typing or saying that)... i dont want to get into details of what happend next (im getting angry just remembering the situtation), but i know for a fact, that person will never ever forget the backlash....

so does someone please know, the name of a place in New York City, where i could have my hat completely washed and disinfected, without it being damaged?

freehandbash

New in Town
[huh] Coleman fuel???? (lantern type fuel?)I've read that here (F.L.)before.That do'nt strip the stiffiners out of the hat? I would like to try it on some of my hats if it do'nt.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Shellac is only dissolved by denatured alcohol. That's what used to impregnate the felt in the first place. Coleman Fuel or Naphta won't affect it.

Brad

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
I`m sorry to hear about the human garbage that defiled your felt fedora,Spaniard,it makes me angry just reading it. :rage: :rage:

I`m glad that "person" will not soon forget the lesson in manners you gave that day. ;)

HMH

Thanks

Brad,

Thanks for the imput on the Coleman Fuel's inability to take the shellac out of the hat.

Hey...BTW gents, if you do this, and in the house; use a metal container with a lid. I used a plastic container and although it works for the purpose; we are talking about easy disaster here.....:eek:

Brad Bowers said:
Shellac is only dissolved by denatured alcohol. That's what used to impregnate the felt in the first place. Coleman Fuel or Naphta won't affect it.

Brad

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
HosManHatter said:
I`m sorry to hear about the human garbage that defiled your felt fedora,Spaniard,it makes me angry just reading it. :rage: :rage:

I`m glad that "person" will not soon forget the lesson in manners you gave that day. ;)

HMH

Food for thought:
"Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't good for much, but it makes you smile when you push them down stairs."
--Anonymous

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Brad Bowers said:

Brad

It doesn't actually have to be denatured alcohol. Everclear 190 proof works quite well.

freehandbash

New in Town
Our thoughts on fuel vs. hat misled us James71.:eek: Looks like Brad has pulled out his seemingly unlimited hat sense and science on us. :eusa_doh: Well I'm sure he must be correct. I ca'nt wait to try it!

Buy 2 gallons to start

It works well but depending on your storage canister, you'll need 2+ gallons to submerge it. I was very supprised to discover that the hat actually retained so much fuel, it was covered; so much couldn't evaporate. Equally supprised that it was dry in no time; hung outside, dried/evaporated so fast, under an hour.

When I strained the fuel back to the cans, I filled one and the other only had about a quart in it.:eusa_doh:

freehandbash said:
Our thoughts on fuel vs. hat misled us James71.:eek: Looks like Brad has pulled out his seemingly unlimited hat sense and science on us. :eusa_doh: Well I'm sure he must be correct. I ca'nt wait to try it!

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fedord Spaniard said:

Myself, I'd go into dry cleaners one at a time, hat in hand, give it to the attendant to examine, and then exclaim "Someone peed all over it! Now I can't get the odor off my hands! What'll I do now? Yeww!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran