Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New full time hat wearer - that self-conscious feeling

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
I have done a lot of lurking on this forum and have asked a few questions and benefit a lot from your answers. So I felt that it was my turn to make a contribution.

I have really liked hats for a long time. I have tried many on. Bought a few, sold some, bought more. I liked wearing hats when we go away on family holidays but always felt too self-conscious to wear one at home.

About a year ago I started wearing hats at home on sunny days.

But I really wanted to wear a hat everyday. I always came back to the idea that it was a bad idea because it's so unusual to see people wearing hats these days.

I honestly don't know why but one day (about 3 months ago) I stopped caring and decided it was time to wear a hat every day. And I've been wearing one ever since.

For the first couple of days I would get comments at work. Mostly just people adjusting to my new look. Comments from family, mostly positive. Glances in the street.

For the first 2 weeks I spent a lot of time thinking about the hat on my head. Especially when going into a situation or work meeting where I haven't been since becoming a hat wearer. But that faded pretty quickly.

People that I don't know sometimes start random conversations with me because I'm wearing a hat. Asking about it, telling me a story about them or a family member who wears/wore hats. Something I never really expected.

In less than 3 months people now think it's strange when I'm not wearing a hat.

For those that like hats and are thinking about wearing one daily. Go for it.

At the risk of sounding like a 1980's motivational poster - the only thing stopping you, is you.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I'm a part time hat wearer in that I sport one when the weather demands (though I occassionally wear one just 'cause I wanna) I still feel a little self-conscious at times when passing the locals but I can live with it. The only headwear worn around here are olive green ball caps....I think I would feel a lot worse than self-conscious if I went native. :D

Edward

Bartender
I started wearing a hat for Winter cold / rain protection around mid 1995. By 2000 I was also wearing one when the Summer heat kicked in. In June 2006, I shaved my head completely for the first time, and I've left the house without a hat of some sort on atound six occasions since..... all occasions on which I was wearing a wig or some form of heavy head make-up / prosthetic for costume purposes. As with other posters, it took me maybe a few weeks before it became simpyl second nature. I was never particularly self-conscious about it, but then I'd already been out in public dress as Dr Frank'n'Furter and whatever many times, so a hat was not exactly a big deal.... For anyone who is a bit self-conscious at first, I'd suggest Summer is the ideal season to start, as more people seem to wear hats in Summer, and a Summer straw looks less unusual to most eyes. Alternatively, in Winter try a cap first; sometmies that's a lot easier than a brimmed hat.

I started wearing a "signature Historian Hat" (my wife's term) about a year ago. Of course, uninitiated by my Lounge Affiliation, it was a Scalia wool stingy. Now, I endeavor not to wear a hat that is less than 50 years old on a regular basis, but that is just the Historian in me. Shoulders back, chin up and proud. When I do get comments, they are almost always positive. I tell people that I'm trying to personally bring back the civility of fine men's head-wear in a sea of trendy hipsters who have no appreciation of their heritage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner