Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crazy Hat Cleaning Situation

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I knew he was a fan of #2, but I didn't know he did that to things.
51F1R43Z0CL.jpg

freehandbash

New in Town
Lefty, your "if only" worked! I was gonna ask a dumb question about these "VS" hats ya'll refer to here and inquire more about them ......but I googled it.:p
but here is a question maybe someone could answer,:eek:fftopic: sorry. but I can't send messages to individuals yet. bout how much do they run in average? over $300? or under.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Fedord Spaniard said:
i heres my problem, a piece of garbage urinated on one of my fur felt fedoras...(i never thought i would actually be typing or saying that)... i dont want to get into details of what happend next (im getting angry just remembering the situtation), but i know for a fact, that person will never ever forget the backlash....

I rarely ever say such a thing but I do hope that you punched him in the mouth really good... :mad:

freehandbash said:
...but here is a question maybe someone could answer,:eek:fftopic: sorry. but I can't send messages to individuals yet. bout how much do they run in average? over $300? or under.
Art's VS Customs in 100% beaver felt run $305 plus shipping. I think his rabbit & blends are slightly lower but for that amount of coin, I leave it to beaver!!!! :D

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Fact: Urine from a healthy human is so clean and hygienic that it's potable.

Fact: Nevertheless, I do not want a tall glass of iced pee.

Idea: Garnish a frosted highball glass chock full of cubed ice with a round of lime and sprig of mint, fill it with your own liquid excreta, and--suggesting to The Urinater that bygones be bygones--offer the refreshing-looking drink to him.

Then: After discreetly applying some of the naphtha left over from cleaning your hat to the Peeing Perpetrator's clothes, hand him a cigar, and kindly light it for him. Stand back and observe the amazing human torch. Explain to passers-by that it must be an America's Got Talent contestant act gone awry.

Option: You and the gawkers all gather 'round and hose him down with multiple streams of urine.

Outcome: You will never have to worry about him urinating on your hat, or, for that matter, anywhere, again.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
AlterEgo said:
Fact: Nevertheless, I do not want a tall glass of iced pee.

That's a great new signature for someone.

It's only sterile upon release. Once it's out, that doesn't last.

freehandbash

New in Town
Thanks GT, soon as this 2 year downturn in the housing industry goes just a little more north I'll be getting me a VS custom!! They look sweet!
and gee Wally, Ditto on the beav.
And finally, on topic, Sometimes you can cure leaks by starting new ones near the source.I believe there is a product from the year 1911 that could bring "closure" to this whole leaking problem.

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
thank you so much guys for caring about my situation, and for relating to my feelings. it was a brand new hat too... oh believe me, that miserable waste of space was delt with... the fear of me catching a possible disease, was the only thing that kept me from bitting into his face....before i held him down with my foot... im really sorry guys, i dont mean to come off like some lunatic.... but its just that no one, should ever go and urinate on man's hat... thats as bad or worst, as a person going up to ones motorcycle or car, and keying it... or someone hawking a loogie and spitting on you... or someone purposely making a pass at your woman, right in front of you... its just very personal and extremely disrespectful.... it would just put away the "gentleman mode" in any man...

does anyone please know an estimate of money, that it might cost me to have it cleaned at a hat place or cleaners? also will the hat be 100% washed and disinfected? and will it still look new after they wash and clean it, or will it look like 400 pound of C-4 went off on it? its a rabbit fur felt hat.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I think there's been a bit of talk on Clean a Hat here (I think it was for the most part positive), but I'd still feel more comfortable sending it to someone who really knows hats. Outside of NYC, I'd say Optimo or Art are the best choices. Optimo charges $40 for a C&R; Art I think is $35-ish(?). But of course, this is a different scenario than normal. So I imagine it must be more than normal.

Hey Spaniard,

I like your motto, what is the translation "without good manners, they are
?low dogs?" I think your Urinator falls into that category!

For a plain old hat cleaning, I have seen anywhere from $25-$50. Many of the hat renovators used by Loungers will also reblock and shape the hat, so
it will look like new. I also think the cleaning processes used will pretty much
disinfect the hat. I have used Optimo Hats in Chicago for cleaning and reblocking, I don't know if there are some renovators in your area, some of the other Loungers may.

Buena suerte

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
It must have been so nice back in the day when you could just drop a hat off at your friendly local hat shop and have it cleaned. I have some hats that could be nice but they just aren't worth the cost of shipping and cleaning. It is hard to justify spending more than $60 on a hat that would only be worth $30 after being cleaned.

I gave one hat (a Stetson Royal Deluxe) to the local dry cleaners, who assured me they had experience cleaning hats, and they destroyed the sweatband, liner and ribbon. Now I have a nice clean "hillbilly" hat. No more dry cleaners for me!

Feraud

Bartender
Fedord Spaniard said:
does anyone please know an estimate of money, that it might cost me to have it cleaned at a hat place or cleaners? also will the hat be 100% washed and disinfected? and will it still look new after they wash and clean it, or will it look like 400 pound of C-4 went off on it? its a rabbit fur felt hat.

Take it to Worth & Worth. Their site advertises full service renovations.

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
hatophile said:
Hey Spaniard,

I like your motto, what is the translation "without good manners, they are
?low dogs?" I think your Urinator falls into that category!

For a plain old hat cleaning, I have seen anywhere from $25-$50. Many of the hat renovators used by Loungers will also reblock and shape the hat, so
it will look like new. I also think the cleaning processes used will pretty much
disinfect the hat. I have used Optimo Hats in Chicago for cleaning and reblocking, I don't know if there are some renovators in your area, some of the other Loungers may.

Buena suerte

hey hatophile, thanks for the compliments man. haha youre almost right on my motto. my motto translates "Gentlemen Wear Hats... But Without Good Manners They Are Despicable/low", but it sounds way better in spanish though...and it rhymes in spanish.

my urinator is supposed to "fall into" the obituaries category... but unfortunately theres laws against murder... thanks for the info on the prices man, and for the goodluck.

Feraud said:
Take it to Worth & Worth. Their site advertises full service renovations.

thanks im going to look into them, but first i have to save up some dough... but im going try to find out an estimate from the shop.

thank you everyone for the information and offers of places and ideas. im going to now check up all these places, that you guys have offered me. thank you again guys.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Two things I learned from my dad that are "fighting offences": Knocking someone's hat off thier head or stepping on their shoes.

I would think that urinating on a lid would immediatly be elevated to castration level.

fmw

One Too Many
As a side note, no need for a disinfectant. Urine is sterile. Sorry it happened to you.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
As a side note, no need for a disinfectant. Urine is sterile. Sorry it happened to you.

Urine directly from the bladder is normally sterile. However, on its passage from the bladder to the outside world, urine becomes contaminated by bacteria normally present in the lower urethra and external genitalia. Hence the need for a clean catch urine at the Dr's Office - allowing some urine to flow out allows detachable organisims to vacate before the urine needed for examination is retreived.

I somehow doubt that anyone that would urinate on someone's lid would follow the recommended "clean catch" proceedures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner