Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crazy Hat Cleaning Situation

T Rick

Practically Family
Thanks GT, soon as this 2 year downturn in the housing industry goes just a little more north I'll be getting me a VS custom!! They look sweet!
and gee Wally, Ditto on the beav.
And finally, on topic, Sometimes you can cure leaks by starting new ones near the source.I believe there is a product from the year 1911 that could bring "closure" to this whole leaking problem.
Okay, I know this was an older post, but I just had to chime in with the mention of the product from 1911. I'll just say I'm a huge fan of it also, and though it is generally only for use in extreme situations, it has the ability to solve all sorts of problems when properly used. And it would certainly be tempting in the case above (though in reality, would probably be a bit "overkill").

Cat_in_the_hat

New in Town
Vomit on his stetson please help

Well, yesterday life happened. Vomit ended up on my fathers beloved stetson and we need any suggestions to get rid of the stains. We have patted the spots with rubbing alcohol but to no avail. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I agree with Fed. A naptha or white gas bath may remove the stains from the vomit,but leaving the barf on the felt might eat away at it or fade the color.

Cat_in_the_hat

New in Town
I agree with Fed. A naptha or white gas bath may remove the stains from the vomit,but leaving the barf on the felt might eat away at it or fade the color.

Yeah I removed the the vomit and hit it with our steam cleaning machine that we use on stairs and turned down the pressure and temperature to make sure it was clean. Now the spot is just a little dark.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I have only used naptha in the form of Ronsonol lighter fluid to spot clean or pre-treat spots. I have used white gas, in the form of Coleman camp stove fuel twice to clean whole hats and have found it to work very well. I have also used denatured alcohol to give a hat a bath with good results as well. I think the white gas worked better, but while both are flammable and potentially dangerous, I think the alcohol might be a little less explosive. Use either one with caution preferably outdoors.

Cat_in_the_hat

New in Town
I have only used naptha in the form of Ronsonol lighter fluid to spot clean or pre-treat spots. I have used white gas, in the form of Coleman camp stove fuel twice to clean whole hats and have found it to work very well. I have also used denatured alcohol to give a hat a bath with good results as well. I think the white gas worked better, but while both are flammable and potentially dangerous, I think the alcohol might be a little less explosive. Use either one with caution preferably outdoors.

When you use the Coleman fuel to clean whole hats how long do you dunk in in the solution? Also I can leave the leather band inside but take out the liner or leave both?

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I used a little of the fuel to pre-treat the greasy spots on the felt, then folded the sweatband out and masked it as best I could with plastic wrap and masking tape. Then I put fuel into 2 1 qt. stainless steel water bottles(outdoors away from sources of ignition of course) and heated a pot of water on the stove. I carried the pot outside and put the bottles in to heat them. I then put the hat in a big steel mixing bowl (big enough for the whole hat) and slowly poured warmed fuel through the liner and crown, being careful to avoid the sweatband. When the first bottlevwas poured through, I used the second on the brim, then swirled the crown and brim through the fuel in the bowl. I strained what fuel was left through a coffee filter and repeated the process. I hung the hat out for about an hour to dry completely. Worked very well.

Cat_in_the_hat

New in Town
I used a little of the fuel to pre-treat the greasy spots on the felt, then folded the sweatband out and masked it as best I could with plastic wrap and masking tape. Then I put fuel into 2 1 qt. stainless steel water bottles(outdoors away from sources of ignition of course) and heated a pot of water on the stove. I carried the pot outside and put the bottles in to heat them. I then put the hat in a big steel mixing bowl (big enough for the whole hat) and slowly poured warmed fuel through the liner and crown, being careful to avoid the sweatband. When the first bottlevwas poured through, I used the second on the brim, then swirled the crown and brim through the fuel in the bowl. I strained what fuel was left through a coffee filter and repeated the process. I hung the hat out for about an hour to dry completely. Worked very well.

I appreciate the help. I really hope this works. I just don't know since vomit isn't really grease I guess.

viclip

Practically Family
When using alcohol on hats, bear in mind that it dissolves shellac, the latter being what hatters apply in varying degrees to impart stiffness to the felt. Thus alcohol immersion my have unintended consequences esp. dealing with stiff hats such as westerns & bowlers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy