Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cricket - willow and leather

It will do us a world of good, in my opinion, we became insufferably arrogant about our successes.

Australians? Arrogant about sports? Never!

Vic Marks on TMS suggested that Ponting "has one foot on the trap door". Maybe a bit much after 2.2 tests of an Ashes series, and I haven't seen any of the play today (just heard the England innings so far on the radio after I woke up), but what do people - particularly Aussies - think about the punter's form? Has he lost it? Over the hill?

bk

LordBest

Practically Family
Hard to believe, I know. We are usually such good sports...

I wouldn't venture an opinion on Ponting, but in my acquaintance at least people tend to blame the selectors more than the captain.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Aussie fast bowler Mitchell Johnson is making a fight-back it seems in an attempt to save Australia with a number of England's batsmen falling swiftly in this latest showdown.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I,m glad the Aussies are fighting back, it makes for a much better contest and a sweeter victory.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Nothing worse than a series whitewash or where it's a done deal with matches to play.

BK, IMO Ponting will probably be dropped as test captain. There were rumblings even prior to the Ashes so I think that even if Australia picks up their game, he'll be passed over as test captain. Whether he's retained as ODI captain for the WC in Feb/Mar could probably go either way depending on their form against England in the one dayers.

And Johnson did bowl well today. I'm interested to see what the wicket does on the fourth and fifth days. It wouldn't be the first time there's some significant cracks that have developed on the last couple of days of a match at the WACA and which can make it testing for the final batting innings.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Well it's increasingly looking like it may be a drawn series going to the MCG on Boxing Day.

It's not over yet but England have a herculean task to save this test with a revitalised Aussie attack and a wicket that seems to be going to do even more for the remainder of play.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
All over in less than an hour. All out for 123.

Roll on Boxing Day!

Damn pleased I've got tickets ;)

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
Where the hell did that come from? A week ago Australian cricket was in turmoil,Ponting a has been,not a half decent sunday leaguer,batsman or bowler in the team.I let myself believe it,I wanted to believe it,for those few short days I allowed myself visions of an English victory so great,Australian cricket would take a generation to recover.
Oh,how we are deceived,where does this blind stupidity come from after all these years to imagine the Aussies are going to roll over like some scalded puppy,I wish.Yes I know this now makes for a far more exciting series,B******S,watching Australia getting humiliated would have been as much excitement as I need.You chaps have done it to us often enough.So now the pain continues!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Dav is right Bumphrey, it's most certainly not over yet. England has a great side with some really exceptional talent. Always a tall order playing at the "G" but there's absolutely no reason England shouldn't rise to the occasion. Also just because Oz had a handful of good sessions in Perth over a couple of days doesn't mean the batting problems have disappeared either.

One thing I have always admired about Aussie sports sides is their never say die attitude - and that's high praise from a Kiwi ;) Just when you think they've had it, they'll dig in and fight and claw their way back. And that's what makes winning the Ashes and especially on Aussie soil such a huge effort.

I think it's great for the series that's it's all square and going into arguably the biggest test of any Ashes in Oz - Boxing Day at the G. I honestly think this has the potential to be a fascinating test.

Dav

One Too Many
Well that was the best Christmas present I had, Australia all out for 98, England 157 for 0.:eusa_clap:D

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm starting to wonder if I'll need my tickets for the third day at this rate!

Well, Aussie's batting order woes reared their head today in spectacular fashion.

And with a wicket which really isn't doing a huge amount, looks like England have a perfect opportunity to pile on an enormous lead.

You also have to ask whether Oz made the right decision to leave Beer out of the side.

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
Well,that appears to be that,Ashes retained in Oz,and pretty convincingly too_Oh,happy day,I know where I'll be at 11.30 tonight,what are the chances it'll be wrapped up by midnight? Ho ho ho!lol

cookie

I'll Lock Up
My one cricketing claim to fame was being picked for a special bowling coaching class with Dennis Lillee. I can remember I was terrified of meeting him as he always looked so aggressive and unyielding on the pitch when you saw him on telly playing. As it happened, he was one of the nicest chaps you could meet. He improved my bowling no end from that one day session. Fantastic bowler, one of the greats. I still enjoy seeing video of him bowling, lovely action.

Thompson is one I've always wondered what he would have been recording if they'd had radar back in the day when he was letting fly. I honestly think he was one of the fastest at his height and would have been bowling over 100mph.

Great to see all the cricket fans here. It's such a wonderful way to spend a day.

I met Dennis Lillee a number of times in the airlines. A fun guy who liked a drink and had tons of stamina. That larikkin type Aussie cricketer won't be seen again for a while I suspect.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner