Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cricket - willow and leather

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Very well done England!

Didn't go today but went yesterday (3rd day) which was a great day's cricket, 11 wickets and 200 and a bit runs. Even took some photos so will post them here.

So next stop SCG chaps and England looking for the full series win.

Absolutely. The only worry is that the English might like to be sporting and let the Aussies draw by not trying hard enough. Now is the time to really get Cricket Australia woken up and getting its house in order by humiliating them some more. It's the only thing that will work, I think.

bk

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I know nothing of the game, but...

One of my favorite memories of my years in England is of a beautiful day, out on the motorcycle, riding with no particular destination. We rode in to one of those postcard perfect scenes: ancient English village with stone houses, flowers everywhere, and cricket being played on the village green with the cricket players all in white. I kicked myself quite a bit for not having my camera with me!

I do have a cricket bat, though. It was a farewell present from my troops, with the usual stuff that goes onto farewell plaques burned into the wood. A favorite memento without a doubt.

Cheers,
Tom

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
There you go, Ponting has been left out of the 5th Test due to his broken finger. However I was even wondering when I watched him walk off after being dismissed on Tuesday whether I was seeing not just his last performance as captain but whether it was his last test innings.

The problem is who do they use as test captain (or just a captain for that matter) if he goes for good? Clarke will be leading the side at the SCG but I'm not sure he's ready to be in the permanent top spot - let's face it he was pretty bloody awful last time he had a shot at it. I suppose there's Hussey but he's hardly a sure thing to slot seamlessly into that role and whether he possesses the extra shrewd tactical awareness of the game needed is a moot point. Time will tell I suppose.

I'm getting tickets for the one dayer on the 16th, but in two minds about going to the Twenty20 on the 14th as well.

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
Hard to believe, I know. We are usually such good sports...

I wouldn't venture an opinion on Ponting, but in my acquaintance at least people tend to blame the selectors more than the captain.

Since he's apparently lost his ability to play cricket I can't see him staying on that much longer. I've heard he's actually a good sort, but he comes across in the media as a petulant, arrogant so and so without the class a captain should display.

By the way, has anyone heard The Duckworth Lewis Method album? Fantastic stuff!

[video=youtube;TxuV0A1Jlxk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxuV0A1Jlxk[/video]

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I've heard he's actually a good sort, but he comes across in the media as a petulant, arrogant so and so without the class a captain should display.

Flyboy, I think you're right there. He really doesn't come across too well with the media especially when things aren't going the team's way.

Saying that the hissy-fit he threw at the umps regarding the Pietersen decision on the 2nd day was inexcusable and especially for a player of his experience. He was damn lucky to just get the fine on his match fee.

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
Flyboy, I think you're right there. He really doesn't come across too well with the media especially when things aren't going the team's way.

Saying that the hissy-fit he threw at the umps regarding the Pietersen decision on the 2nd day was inexcusable and especially for a player of his experience. He was damn lucky to just get the fine on his match fee.

I think you're quite right, it really did merit a heavier punishment - We all get frustrated with things sometimes but that really was beyond the pale.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
As promised here's a couple of snaps from the 3rd day at the G when I had my camera with me. They won't win any prizes but if you haven't visited the ground they might be of interest.

Anderson to Watson before lunch sometime:

MCG1.jpg

The crowd looking towards the Members

MCG2.jpg

It really is a magnificent ground and after Lords must be cricket's holy of holies when it comes to grounds.

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
As promised here's a couple of snaps from the 3rd day at the G when I had my camera with me. They won't win any prizes but if you haven't visited the ground they might be of interest.

Anderson to Watson before lunch sometime:

MCG1.jpg

The crowd looking towards the Members

MCG2.jpg

It really is a magnificent ground and after Lords must be cricket's holy of holies when it comes to grounds.

Great pictures Smithy - I'd love to visit that Mecca for Cricket myself someday!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
If you ever make it down this way Fly Boy it'd be a pleasure to have a couple of pints and show you the town, and if it's cricket season then off to the ground.

By the way, forgot to mention, I like your SE5a avatar ;)

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Well some wobbles there for Oz yesterday and if I was an England bowler I'd be itching to have a go today.

Bookies here have England for the win even over a draw.

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
If you ever make it down this way Fly Boy it'd be a pleasure to have a couple of pints and show you the town, and if it's cricket season then off to the ground.

By the way, forgot to mention, I like your SE5a avatar ;)

Would certainly be a pleasure, and you're obviously into your aviation history too! :)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
How's that eh, Cook has become the second youngest batsman after Tendulkar to hit 5,000 test runs.

Certainly be a series he'll remember fondly.

3rd day is looking very interesting, England will want to reach Oz's first innings total and then build a decent bit of a lead especially with 7 wickets in hand and Oz will be looking to bag quick scalps and deny England. Both teams will be wanting to really stamp their mark tomorrow so should be an eventful and good day's cricket.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Well poor old Oz is well and truly in the brown stuff. Basically England need just 3 wickets and it's all over.

I don't think it'll even make it to lunch tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch