Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cross-zip Jacket back fit - wrong, right and indifferent

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I agree with the sentiment that being nitpicky is why we’re here but it won’t lead to happiness. As they say in watch collecting “the loupe is not your friend,” meaning if you go looking for flaws imperceptible to the naked eye you can always find them. Most of us here are just regular guys. 1/2” or a little bunching will go unnoticed to everyone but our own ocd. The way to find the perfect back fit is to never photograph it or look at it. Get the front fit right and ignore the rest.

roadking04

Practically Family
I really hate to comment on fit. I am no fit expert AT ALL!!

If I was asked my opinion, I would have to go with Tree and say that your Indian is a size too big. We have to remember these are motorcycle jackets. They are designed for riding a motorcycle.

I posted some fit pics of a model E a few years ago somewhere. I thought if fit great standing/walking, but on the bike it seemed a little weird. I was always pulling, tugging, and adjusting when riding. Everyone who commented, and myself included, said it fit good except ONE guy. @JMax told me to size down for the motorcycle. I was a little hesitant at first, but went with his recommendation. It felt snug/odd in a few spots when I tried it on at first, then I took it out for a ride. @JMax was right, what a difference. No pulling/ballooning when riding on my motorcycle.

I think it is really hard to get a crosszip to fit perfectly while riding a motorcycle AND standing at a bar. A puffy back while standing for a pic would probably work/look great ON a motorcycle. A shorter front length and longer sleeves looks odd in pics but works/looks great on a bike. Bike jackets need to be a little "snug" or else they act like a sail when you have the lapels opened for warm weather riding.

I think body shape/type plays a big role also. If you are "fit" with average/normal proportions, almost EVERYTHING looks great. Look at the guys who are in great shape on this forum, every jacket they post looks great. Most of the "in shape" guys can wear jackets a size bigger and smaller and still look good to the average joe.

I think your jackets look great. You have to ask yourself, do you want a "motorcycle fit" or a "fashion fit". I bet nobody in Iowa would come up to you and recommend that you size up or down. Most people in Iowa would say, those are some badass jackets that guy has.

Keep on rockin your cross zips. Love 'em.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Roadking - that's pretty much my thoughts as well. If I were to do it over again, I would trim up/tighten it up just a bit. But there is no going back now as they will only offer Vicenza or Jerky HH (both mid-weights) with this pattern. I have sampled both, just do not prefer them.

And yeah in Iowa, most folks hardly even notice - or say anything at all. Fine by me.

roadking04

Practically Family
I also think it looks a little wonky in the back because of the stiff CXL. I really think this jacket will be special in a few years. I really hope you keep it. Gotta remember, most people gain a few pounds as we age, especially weight trainers who don't work out as often as they did when they were younger. Keeping weight off is a constant battle for those who don't have the genetics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider