1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Cross zips / D pockets, discussion starter...

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by dan_t, Oct 12, 2018.

1. dan_t

dan_t Practically Family

ok, I’m over 40.
    Yup.
    As much as I want to think I’m still a tear-away youth who can take on the world & stick the middle finger up to anyone who challenges this, my Wife reminds me that this isn’t everyone else’s reality. According to the Wise One, this is my own personal delusion.

So, the whole cross-zip / D-pocket jacket arena is one in which I am yet to dabble.
    Considering the above, what makes & models would be best suited for me to start my research with?
    I mean, the fewer number of shiny studs & overkill belts / epaulettes might still be a style I could still rock.

Thoughts, oh wise ones?

2. Striver

Striver New in Town

Hi dan_t,
    Well I am over 40.… significantly over 50... and a little over 60... and I wear 'em!
    Could be some people think I'm weird, strange or foolish... but I like wearing them.
    I always think about this quote about our one life... "This is not a rehearsal".
    Striver

tmitchell59, dannyk, El Marro and 8 others like this.
  3. ProteinNerd

ProteinNerd My Mail is Forwarded Here

I don’t like all the studs and excessive zippers either.

If you can stomach the price the ELMC Windward is a cross zip D pocket without all the “bling”.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Or an Aero Bootlegger is a cross zip without D pocket.

[​IMG]

Or if you want to go D pocket purist, I think one in Brown is a little less try hard punk for us that aren’t 20 any more.

[​IMG]

4. Lebowski

Lebowski One of the Regulars

Best comment, just the best ever. I think the same way. Absolutely.
    Yes, I'm quite over my 40 too. And I love cross-zipped jackets, its epaulettes, its snaps etc. I love it and will love it regardless of age (mine or somebody's else).
    Age doesn't matter. Our passion does. That's the point.

5. Jejupe

Jejupe A-List Customer

I don't think middle aged man wearing a cross zip hurts anyone in any way so I would (and will) just wear what feels right to me. I think over 40 is just the right age to start caring less what people think about of clothing you decide to wear.

6. Peter Bowden

Peter Bowden A-List Customer

You are never too old!

Attached Files:

7. Carlos840

Carlos840 One Too Many

I have a "thing" for D pocket cross zips, like i you i started with a fear of studs, belts, epaulettes etc...

My first one was a D pocket Bootlegger:

[​IMG]

I then realized that i actually liked studs, belts, and epaulettes and got myself a LaBrea:

[​IMG]

And then a Buco JH-1

[​IMG]

This is definitely not my last D pocket, they are great jackets.
    IMO the convenience of the D pocket far outweighs the lack of dual handwarmers on most of them.

All of these jackets have a review there:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/my-leather-jacket-database.93804/

8. steve u

steve u One of the Regulars

dan_t, This is what I have on order.[​IMG]
    I'm over 60..invisible to the world(especially where I work at a university)..except to my family.I find a curtain amount of comfort in that.
    I couldn't agree more with everything that's already posted. steve

9. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Do it Dan! I don't think you'd have a problem pulling off the style at all. Cross zips jackets do say "I'm a badass" but I've seen your sidekick...you'll be just fine.

10. dan_t

dan_t Practically Family

Ok, great comments everyone. AND I do acknowledge that this was always intended as a discussion starter.

However, other than @protienerd & @steveu no one has offered suggestions on makers or models.

Care to elaborate?

11. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

LW:
    IMG_6158.JPG
    Vanson:
    IMG_7415.JPG
    IMG_1835.JPG
    Aero:
    IMG_9538.JPG
    IMG_7651.JPG
    JL:
    IMG_4367.JPG
    ALL GOOD!

12. Guppy

Guppy One Too Many

I'd suggest brass hardware over chrome/silver. It'll dull as it ages, taking away from the flashy factor. Brown or dark brown is another good way to tone it down.

ELMC road star, Windward, Aero Bootlegger, J-106, some of Himel's models, Pegasus all fit the bill. Also take a look at Thedi.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  13. dan_t

dan_t Practically Family

AWESOME GUYS!!!

& @Ton313, that Aero!

ton312 likes this.
  14. Lebowski

Carlos, the first two on the first photo are really two absolutely different jackets (as you've written in another thread). Different linings, different colours. You're right, they're totally different!))
    P.S. All your jackets are very nice, but that brown Buco JH-1 on the last photo is just gorgeous! I like its belt pattern, looks quite rear and very interesting. It makes the whole jacket looking so smart!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    sweetfights, Carlos840 and nick123 like this.
  15. Lebowski

Ton, I can't decide which one of your jackets on the photos above I like most, they all are very very cool looking. Especially on such tough frame!)

dan_t and ton312 like this.
  16. rocketeer

rocketeer Call Me a Cab

A personal opinion about biker jackets.
    Never liked 'D' pockets, it's an American thing, OK for Vintage Harley riders though.
    Wild One style Perfecto's again ok for American look. I don't like the condom, key, change, pocket. I did have one for a short while but I always felt they looked sloppy unzipped with the belt left undone and hanging loose. I always turned mine back but the buckle end looked awful.
    Lancer styles(cross zip) for British bikes such as a million and one Lewis clones are fine and also straight zips. I would not recommend a Highwayman unless it has zip pockets as I lost a wallet from one.
    Again a personal choice, I prefer the collared jacket such as the style wore by most 1960s Rockers rather than the modern so called Cafe Racer style. Were I to buy a new riding jacket Aero's 59 Highwayman is the one I would go for firs as a riding bike jacket. Both styles were known as motorcycle jackets back then, Cafe Racer(as described as a jacket), being a modern term invented for the collarless jacket also known as a Mandarin collar.
    And no, I doubt anyone will change the description. I did have an old one but it was just sold as a motorcycle jacket.

TheMarriedHermit, Monitor and dan_t like this.
  17. red devil

red devil Practically Family

When you are in front of a swimming pool it's better to just jump in instead of dipping your feet and going in gradually, so...

[​IMG]

18. JMax

JMax Practically Family

So many options that once you pass through the cross-zip door it will be over for you. Police style, like LW PJ27 or CL LAPD. D Pockets like some listed above or Vanson's other offerings. Highwayman/Perfecto styles like a kick-ass Bates. I think the first step would be to determine if you want a full-rig cross-zip with all the accouterments or a cleaner jacket. Then the pocket configuration you prefer. From there you can start looking at leather, color, brand, etc. Just my 2 cents.

TheMarriedHermit, ton312 and dan_t like this.
  19. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

Well, this guy isn't waving his middle finger to anyone:

936519F6-2C0E-4719-A492-6271BBCFA854.jpeg

20. JMax

JMax Practically Family

Here is a cleaner take on the D Pocket from Vanson, the Hardcore Highwayman. I just happen to be wearing today.

IMG_1113.jpg

Some other jackets I have:

Bates Highwayman

1.jpg

Vanson Chopper

IMG_0424.jpg

Vanson Commando

IMG_0431.jpg

Pegasus

Pegasus.jpg

Vanson Hardcore

HC Front.jpg