Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cross zips / D pockets, discussion starter...

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cross-zips are my absolute favorite leather jacket . . . on everyone but me. I am north of a half century and just cannot bring myself to strap on a jacket that I personally equate with youthful rebellion, bikers, and rock-and-roll. Plenty of guys older than me wear cross-zips and look fantastic. My response is always the same: looks great on him but I cannot pull it off. Its just not me. I really cannot define it any better. Its just not me. Thus, as odd as it sounds, I do not wear my favorite jacket style. I laughed as I typed that last sentence, but its true. I do not feel comfortable wearing my favorite jacket style.

Shit there it is again. The legendary brown chopper! It’s my white whale... just sell it to me so I can live in peace!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Head on over to Paul Cox Industries. Or call Vanson and tell them you want a Chopper in Octagon. I sure as shit ain’t selling this jacket lol. I will say that I am seriously infatuated with looking at CLs right now.

El Marro

Thus, as odd as it sounds, I do not wear my favorite jacket style. I laughed as I typed that last sentence, but its true. I do not feel comfortable wearing my favorite jacket style.
Super,
I know you have said this before, and like I said before I’m sure there is a cross zip out there that you would both look great in and feel great wearing.
I think I understand where you’re coming from though. I felt self-conscious and out of place when I got my first Vanson cross zip because I do not ride a motorcycle nor do I play anything in a rock ‘n’ roll band. This feeling was accentuated by the fact that people kept coming up to me and asking me what kind of motorcycle I had. I got over that pretty quickly though, and now I own three or four cross zip jackets that I wear without thinking twice. For some reason, people have also stopped asking me what kind of bike I own.
I know from reading your posts that you put a lot of thought into what you do and what you wear, so if the cross zip is not to be then I am sure it is a decision that you have come to after serious deliberation. Just wanted to throw in my two cents and say that you could definitely wear the hell out of one if you wanted to!

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Wearing it today with my future daughter in law on a gorgeous fall ride in Tennessee!! No birds except in the air and tree's!

LW in Goat...

43788577_10157979621243569_6653302162849792000_o.jpg

roadking04

Practically Family
Absolute truth.

But motorcycle cross zips are a freaking alpha and an omega of leather jackets. I started with them, went thru pretty much all the styles there are, convinced I've given up on 'em and now I'm back to wanting another classic Perfecto as much as I did when I was first looking to get one xx years ago.

And it's always the boringass Perfecto. The one with the coin pocket. Nothing fancy.

This...
53adf20b4c9bcf64f67d72cc0ea5cd49.jpg

WOW!!!!!! I want that!

red devil

For some reason, people have also stopped asking me what kind of bike I own.

That's probably because you feel comfortable in them now. The most important thing is to get used to that new style you decided to wear.

@Superfluous , I personally think that you could pull off a cross zip with ease, if we could see you try one... :)

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
It's such a timeless classic style that literally anyone can wear it. I've seen men of all shapes, sizes, ages, etc wearing them and it never looks bad. You don't need to be of a certain "type" to pull it off. Only time it ever looks bad is if other cheesy elements are involved, like fringe, hot rod flames, too many studs spikes or pyramids added, etc etc like some of the Harley brand variations

mygar

A-List Customer
Im 48 and once thought i could not pull off a cross zip... but alas that is exactly going to be my next order.

It seems i am becoming more adventurous in the jacket realm. Maybe this progression is natural

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I like this jacket style as an object, but I have a huge barrier about anything that look different on the left VS right side of the jacket, I can't even like a single chest pocket on a jacket or a shirt

TheMarriedHermit

One of the Regulars
Absolute truth.

But motorcycle cross zips are a freaking alpha and an omega of leather jackets. I started with them, went thru pretty much all the styles there are, convinced I've given up on 'em and now I'm back to wanting another classic Perfecto as much as I did when I was first looking to get one xx years ago.

And it's always the boringass Perfecto. The one with the coin pocket. Nothing fancy.

This...
53adf20b4c9bcf64f67d72cc0ea5cd49.jpg
That's why it's called Perfecto.

Sent from my LG-SP320 using Tapatalk

TheMarriedHermit

One of the Regulars
Donkeyhide could be the next big craze in these parts.....

Age, schmage, though. It's a rare thing I see a guy under forty wearing a crosszip bike jacket in the old school style. We odl guys who get it need to show the youngsters the way.... ;)
I don't call it old; I call it the vintage advantage.

TheMarriedHermit

One of the Regulars
Super,
I know you have said this before, and like I said before I’m sure there is a cross zip out there that you would both look great in and feel great wearing.
I think I understand where you’re coming from though. I felt self-conscious and out of place when I got my first Vanson cross zip because I do not ride a motorcycle nor do I play anything in a rock ‘n’ roll band. This feeling was accentuated by the fact that people kept coming up to me and asking me what kind of motorcycle I had. I got over that pretty quickly though, and now I own three or four cross zip jackets that I wear without thinking twice. For some reason, people have also stopped asking me what kind of bike I own.
I know from reading your posts that you put a lot of thought into what you do and what you wear, so if the cross zip is not to be then I am sure it is a decision that you have come to after serious deliberation. Just wanted to throw in my two cents and say that you could definitely wear the hell out of one if you wanted to!
The leather weather is almost here, and if anybody asks me about my bike (I don't ride; giving it some thought), I'll tell them it's a Hardly-Davidson.

Edward

Bartender
The leather weather is almost here, and if anybody asks me about my bike (I don't ride; giving it some thought), I'll tell them it's a Hardly-Davidson.

Have to admit, I always get a chuckle out of guys who wear WW2 flying jackets thinking they shouldn't go near a motorcycle jacket when they don't ride....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21