Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crown and Brim size against head size

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Question...
I'd like to get an Indiana Jones looking fedora (with a wide, brim). Now Harrison Ford's exact measurements in Indy were:

Size: 7 ¼
Crown: 5 ½ (5.5) inches
Brim (front & back): 2 ¾
Brim (sides): 2 5/8
Ribbon: 1 ½ (1.5)
raiders-fed2.jpg

Now, my head size is somewhere between a 6 7/8 and a size 7. Would I still get the same brim size regardless if I was getting an Indy style hat? What I mean is..On a size 6 7/8 head would a 2 5/8 brim look larger than it did on Harrison Ford's 7 1/4 head or would it look the same size regardless?
If it would look different and bigger, what brim size would be more appropriate to get the same look or same relative dimensions?

Likewise, if I wanted to get a stingy brim like Kennedy's, who had a 7 5/8 size head, what brim size would be good to get a size/looks match of Kennedy's lid?
aa8ef5b6.jpg

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
That`s an interesting question Sir, for which I don`t have the exact answer, but my guess is we are only talking the difference in 1/8" or 1/4" on the brim size, for the difference between a 6 7/8 and a 7 3/4, if that makes sence. My guess would be same on the crown. Hat proportion is a very myserious esthetic balance...

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
FedoraFan112390 said:
Question...
I'd like to get an Indiana Jones looking fedora (with a wide, brim). Now Harrison Ford's exact measurements in Indy were:

Size: 7 ¼
Crown: 5 ½ (5.5) inches
Brim (front & back): 2 ¾
Brim (sides): 2 5/8
Ribbon: 1 ½ (1.5)

Now, my head size is somewhere between a 6 7/8 and a size 7. Would I still get the same brim size regardless if I was getting an Indy style hat? What I mean is..On a size 6 7/8 head would a 2 5/8 brim look larger than it did on Harrison Ford's 7 1/4 head or would it look the same size regardless?
If it would look different and bigger, what brim size would be more appropriate to get the same look or same relative dimensions?

]
I would be surprised if head size mattered much as to wide brim or narrow brim. I think that those two things would be totally independent.

Just as with any other item of clothes, different sized crowns and brims fit different people differently.
I stand 5'9", weigh 175. Have a 7 3/8" head size.
A hat with a straight 5 1/2" crown (uncreased) with a 2 1/2" brim looks too big on my head. Unbalanced. Look like I'm wearing a stovepipe hat.
A 5 1/4" crown with a tiny bit of taper and a 2 1/4 or 2 1/2" brim looks wonderful.

I love the look of a nice tall crown and wide brim on Harrison Ford, Robert Mitchum. But put those same hats on me and I look like I'm a child wearing my dads hat.
There seems to be a trend towards tall, straight crowns and wide brims. It's not a style that fits everybody.

(The "real" Indy hat built by Adventurebuilt, is a TALL, straight crown. Not sure how tall, but I'll bet higher than 5 1/2".
Looks like I'm wearing a building on top of my head when I put one on.)

donnc

One of the Regulars
I have to start by confessing ignorance on a couple of critical points, but let's say the hat size number is roughly proportional to the (linear) size of the head, I believe your formula for the brim trim would be the proportional difference between the model head and your own, applied to the brim. Your size is 6 + 15/16 = 6.94, so

t = B x (1 - 6.94 / Y)

where B would be 2 5/8 inches for the "indie", and Y would be 7 1/4 for Harrison Ford (per your figures.) That's a little less than 1/8 inch. Personally, I would let that slide.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
donnc said:
I have to start by confessing ignorance on a couple of critical points, but let's say the hat size number is roughly proportional to the (linear) size of the head, I believe your formula for the brim trim would be the proportional difference between the model head and your own, applied to the brim. Your size is 6 + 15/16 = 6.94, so

t = B x (1 - 6.94 / Y)

where B would be 2 5/8 inches for the "indie", and Y would be 7 1/4 for Harrison Ford (per your figures.) That's a little less than 1/8 inch. Personally, I would let that slide.
That's one way to figure it. Whether that is going to be a good rule or not could be tested by someone trying on different brim sizes of hat. But what I can add is that an extra 1/8" is a huge thing on a hat brim for the look of a hat, little as it sounds. For example, I don't much like a 2 1/2" brim on me; too short. But once we're talking 2 5/8 or 2 3/4, they're good. When I go up to a 2 7/8, it's very rakish and noticeable. For reference to the uninitiated, a 2 3/4 is what you might generally find on an Open Road Stetson hat. I agree with the previous comment that it's a very individual thing, and you can only know by putting some on. Best way to test out the possibilities is to go to a hat store with good selection of "men's dress hats" and try on many of them. You will quickly find your answer. And also, plant the seed for other brim and crown sizes you might not consider now, but would return to later.

donnc

One of the Regulars
danofarlington said:
But what I can add is that an extra 1/8" is a huge thing on a hat brim for the look of a hat, little as it sounds.

And that was comparing "6 7/8 - 7" to 7 1/4, not really radically different sizes. Whatever you think about that, it does seem clear enough that a style of hat with a fixed brim size - as is apparently common - is getting to be a different look if we compare between 6 1/2 and 7 1/2, for example.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
daizawaguy said:
Hat proportion is a very myserious esthetic balance...
Ya got that right. What looks great on one individual, might look ridiculous on another. And it's just a matter of a mere 1/4 inch or 1/8 inch here or there. Factor in the ribbon width, colors, bashes,..and it is impossible to guess at what would look right on our own head, let alone someone else's.
It would be a whole 'nother story if hat stores were all over like in the old days and one could merely try hats on until they found the best look.

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
Well I'm the same size head as you! I too like a wide brim and tall crown. My fedoras measure at least 2 1/2 inches on the brim and no less than 4 1/2 inches tall on the crown. I have a round face and find that stingy brims accent that roundness and so I try to elongate it a bit with the taller crown and wider brim such as this pic of me with my Johnnyphi Royalist on.

100617-181757.jpg

I hope this helps a bit.

RJ

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Some custom hatters are better than others at building a particular hat for a particular head. It doesnt take much difference between your head size and shape and Harrsion Ford's for one of his hats to look less than ideal on you.

Based on tons of stuff I have read, if you want an Indy hat to look good on YOU, contact John Penman of Penman hats.

Also, all 4 films had different hats by different makers, and within each film there were different hats, usually by the same maker in each film (except maybe ToD if I remember correctly). What this means is that there is no ONE Indy hat. Thats why Id talk to some like John. He can help you determine what dimensions will look best on you and then build the hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21