Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuffed Jeans

Do you cuff or hem your jeans?

• Total voters

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
it's a bit try-hard. does the store where you bought your jeans not hem them? DC4 here in Berlin offer that service for free.

How is that try hard?
I get jeans in size 33 and whatever length they come in as long as it is above 34". If they are 35 to 36" i don't need to cuff, if they are longer i cuff. I am actually trying less hard than anyone trying to figure ou the "correct" length.
I don't actually try at all...I i tried less i wouldn't be wearing any pants!

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
And I further don't comprehend the 7/8-jeans fashion. We called it high-water pants, back in the old 90s. ;-)
When you spend $500-1500 on a boot, you want people to see them! I jest. I do know some people get WAY into their socks. Maybe that is a reason to have high-water trousers? All kinds of perspectives to take. Thank goodness.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I dont want to show selvedge stripe nor the shaft of my boots ever, but sometime thin cuff just look right with some shoes, 1cuff and half looks unique once it settled to me,
b7UJU4e.jpg

it changes how the leg of the jeans look, hangs straighter when cuffed like you hang weight around the ankle or perhaps the thich cuff forces the leg of the jeans to stay round so it makes the jeans look neater, it is just a different look in my opinion, but i still cant commit to cuff the pants permanently. I would un roll it by the end of the day

Last edited:

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I cuff pretty much all my jeans. I have short legs, and can never find jeans in store that are as short as my legs are. So they always get the double fold.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Outerwear is always amusing for the sheer number of comments you'll find over time from people who really don't like the looks of the period TFL more broadly is dedicated to. JUst the way it is - there's lots of folks out there who are into denim and leather particularly and gravitate here for that, despite not being into the period vibe. It is what it is.
That's what I wanted to say but for some reason everything that I came up with came off the page as confrontational, in the end I gave up.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Yea, sorry if I reacted to you in the other denim thread, common sense man, i dont wear hawaiian shirt, not remotely interested of it, so i dont open hawaiian shirt thread and post "this shirt never appeals to me in anyway, please tell me how they are any good" thats rude.

Edward

Bartender
When you spend $500-1500 on a boot, you want people to see them! I jest. I do know some people get WAY into their socks. Maybe that is a reason to have high-water trousers? All kinds of perspectives to take. Thank goodness.

I see a lot of pre-1920 photos where the trousers are being worn shorter than would be common now. In those days, it was a practical matter: too long, and they drag in the muck, and many streets back then weren't properly surfaced, so... Also, boots were the standard footwear for the working man. Later on, trousers worn much wider at the ankle make sense to be cut with no or minimal break, so you don't end up walking on your own hems half the time. Beyond that, it's just fashion. I remember gonig to Paris in 1988 on a school trip, and wearing trousers an inch or two short at the ankle seemed to be fashionable there then.

I do recall seeing an interview once with Michael Jackson's costume desginer; apparently they deliberately dressed him in pegged black trousers an inch or two too short and white socks to draw attention to his feet when dancing. (Fred Astaire achieved the same effect by wearing white spats over his shoes.)

I seem to recall that among motorcyclists and rockabillies in the 50s, there was a thing for cuffing the jeans just enough to expose the ankle-strap buckle when standing. I did notice that in The Wild One Brando and the others in the BMRC do seem to cuff their jeans a bit higher over their boots than the norm. Maybe it depends where the buckle is on the specific boot..... though it could also have been to keep their jeans a bit more out of the way when riding. (Brando had a big influence on Brit / English rockers of the late 50s through early sixties period, probably because of, rather than despite, the fact that nonme of them would have had the chance to see the film until its first British screening in 1968. They, however, wore their jeans slimmer and tucked them into their boots, so cuffs or otherwise weren't seen.

Ok, highwaters are a bridge too far!

Amusingly, the latest trend among the undergraduate girls on campus here in London seems to be to wear their jeans about three inches short, with a rough-cut hem left to fray. No idea if they're buynig them like that or it's a DIY look...

That's what I wanted to say but for some reason everything that I came up with came off the page as confrontational, in the end I gave up.

It's difficult sometimes to put an opinion in text to carry as it would in person, with tone of voice and other indicators lost.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cuff (turn-up) all my trousers / pants these days. Mild on my chinos & some-what more on my denim / jeans..works for me..in terms of visual effect & keeping them out of any muck..& there's plenty of muck around the UK at present with all the rain we've had :)

I can't remember the 7/8-jeans in the earlier 2000s. I well remember the long-running 90s "free belly"-fashion, but highwaters or cuffed??

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I cuff everything because I like the way the trousers and jeans hang with everything cuffed. I also tend to prefer more classic fitting bottoms and they would look messy and baggy on me if I like them stack.

Edward

Bartender
I'm interested in top tier leather utility type jackets, some newsboy style caps and fedoras but not the whole Vintage scene.
HD

Which is absolutely fair enough. This place exists for all who are into any aspect of a particular era, and has certainly never been intended exclusively for those who go the whole hog, as opposed to having selective interests from the period. Nobody should ever be turned away because they don't head to toe - though your thing is a world away from the occasional type who turns up at a vintage place like this and proceeds to tell everyone about how rubbish vintage looks are. That sort of thing is uncalled for.

I cuff everything because I like the way the trousers and jeans hang with everything cuffed. I also tend to prefer more classic fitting bottoms and they would look messy and baggy on me if I like them stack.

I never did care for the stacked look - always reminded me of girls at school who used to buy knee socks and then push them down to bunch round their ankles. Very unflattering and a daft look in my eyes, but... fashion, eh? (Turn to the left.)

Last edited:

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
@Edward, might be cool to insert a poll into this thread. I don't cuff my jeans, dislike the look, but would be interested in a breakdown of cuffed vs hemmed jeans among the TFL denizens.

Last edited:

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had not cuffed my jeans since I was a boy until a few years ago when I stumbled in here and discovered selvage denim. Now I cuff my jeans when they are new and wear them this way until they have been washed at least once or twice. At that point I take them down to Standard and Strange to have them hemmed.
I suppose I fall somewhere in between the two camps when it comes to cuffing. I do not mind wearing my jeans this way when they are new and I think it looks cool with the right pair of boots. At the same time, this is such an uncommon look these days and when paired with a cross zip jacket it sometimes feels a bit over the top to me.

Peacoat

Bartender
@Edward, might be cool to insert a poll into this thread. I don't cuff my jeans, dislike the look, but would be interested in a breakdown of cuffed vs hemmed jeans among the TFL denizens.
Edward probably won't see this as it is close to Saturday night in London. I imagine he has other things to do. But it is still morning here in Tennessee, and I can make a poll if there is enough interest in having one. I think it may have to be back on the first page, however.

Edward

Bartender
Edward probably won't see this as it is close to Saturday night in London. I imagine he has other things to do. But it is still morning here in Tennessee, and I can make a poll if there is enough interest in having one. I think it may have to be back on the first page, however.

Tragically(!), I've stepped into the home office to do a few emails I promised my dissertation students, so I am online now.

I think it's a fair enough idea, providing everyone plays nice (any nonsense, and it'll be pulled). But yes, I'm not sure if it has to be a new thread? Will look at it later on... Mimi the Wonderdog needs taken out to peh-pee...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto