Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuffed Jeans

Do you cuff or hem your jeans?

• Total voters
I like big cuffs and I can not lie...
08B48E10-AD86-4D8F-9FB7-5695883B3F1E.jpeg

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know if it is considered real cuffing as I would roll the seam if I wear sneakers or boots that aren't black in colour. I do it to minimize the transfer of indigo to the shoes.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I only cuff when the pants is brand new before washed to avoid color transfer and generally too long to wear it stacks, sometime a small one when pairing with smarter looking shoes , I never have a permanent one on the jeans since when wearing boots i like them stacks.

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Dudewth's first pic is what i personally think perfect length for my temporary cuff.

My double knee jeans is specd to wear with cuff in mind since my 2 others shrank on me after wash, but after first day i see pants is busy already with other details, so i cuff it inside instead of hemming, i pull back the hem stitching out so looks like perma stacks now
J6JB06N.jpg

I pull longer on the back
bQXk4OT.jpg

the 1st day, originally wanted to wear it like so
HtZUYF9.jpg

Perhaps on the next one then

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I could never do this. I wanted to, but cuffed jeans made me feel all sorts of foolish. On others, they always looked better.

I'm the opposite - Come to a point where can't abide jeans that aren't cuffed.

One thing I won’t do is double the cuff. Just a single flip. If they are long enough to to double cuff I’ll hem the length for only a single.

I like at least a dobule, preferable a treble. If there's only enough to single cuff, they're too short. Got to be at leat 36" or preferable 38" inside leg or I won't buy. In tailored trews, I'm about a 31" inside leg. The only trousers I wear with no cuff are for vblack or white tie, or morning dress. Everything else, cuffed. Have a coupel of linen suits I had to buy OTR and no cuff on those, now I think about it - it does bother me a bit on those. Definitely would never wear uncuffed jeans now.

mattmiller1973

Familiar Face
I will never understand the need for adults to cuff or turn up their jeans. By your age, you should be buying clothes that fit and wearing them properly. Something about trying to be fashionable rather than dressing for function seems less masculine to me (not trying to be offensive, just telling you why I feel this way). And IMO the whole point of vintage clothing, military, or work wear is that it was made for function and fashion had little to do with it — certainly the case with jeans.

Blackadder

I will never understand the need for adults to cuff or turn up their jeans. By your age, you should be buying clothes that fit and wearing them properly. Something about trying to be fashionable rather than dressing for function seems less masculine to me (not trying to be offensive, just telling you why I feel this way). And IMO the whole point of vintage clothing, military, or work wear is that it was made for function and fashion had little to do with it — certainly the case with jeans.
The point with vintage jeans or their repros is that they shrink and you sometimes don't have a clue how much they actually shrink. Levi's Vintage Clothing line for one is notorious for the inconsistency of shrinkage on the same model from year to year. So while your LVC 55501 produced in 2009 shrinks one size, your newly acquired 2020 LVC 55501 may not shrink at all despite what they state on the Levi's website. The solution is to buy long then alter them or cuff them. To keep up with the vintage look, you can choose to cuff them in stead of altering them.
BTW, if you are going for a pair of deadstock or used jeans, I doubt you can be picky about the length.

Last edited:

tropicalbob

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "function" and "fashion" with regard to vintage clothes. Prior to the 1960's, most men had two sets of clothes, at least: "good clothes" (suits, sport jackets and trousers, dress shirts, ties, etc.) and work or sporting clothes. They were rarely mixed. The idea was that when you left the house you needed to "put your good foot forward" and show the world you were taking care of yourself and doing fine. I can remember looking around during a Yankees game at the Stadium in 1956 or so and seeing nothing but suits, ties, and hats. There was quite a big distinction between types of menswear.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I don't have an issue with cuffing, but it can sometimes make me think of the movie The Outsiders. Greasers. I'm guessing it has some links to class and status. If your family could afford it, things were bought to fit. If your family couldn't, you worked with what you got. Hand-me-downs. Blue-light specials. The Styleforum has probably written copy about the history of cuffing.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I'm not blessed with excess length on my legs, big cuff or thick cuff make my leg look shorter, I rather have the pants slightly break on shoes or stacks a little, or mini temporary single cuff.
But I still want one pants with 1 and half cuff I think they look cool, already failed twice before, one pair advertised as 36" inseam sanforized, that turned out to be 33", and after washing even shrank again to 30.5" now only just barely long enough to wear mostly with boots, another pair I shown above has and retains the length to be cuffed, but right now still look too busy and new, maybe once the blue faded a bit and metal tarnished a bit I can do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy