Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuffed Jeans

Do you cuff or hem your jeans?

• Total voters

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Did not mean to cause any trouble, if a poll can be added to the first post in this thread then cool, I don't think we need a new thread...

Peacoat

Bartender
Tragically(!), I've stepped into the home office to do a few emails I promised my dissertation students, so I am online now.

I think it's a fair enough idea, providing everyone plays nice (any nonsense, and it'll be pulled). But yes, I'm not sure if it has to be a new thread? Will look at it later on... Mimi the Wonderdog needs taken out to peh-pee...
Edward, just saw this post. I have already started one. Enjoy the rest of your Saturday night in London.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
To me it's a 100% functional thing, not a look thing.
If the jeans are 35"-36" no cuff, if they are longer than 36" cuff.

If the weather is cold, no cuff, so the bottom of the leg creates a tigth seal on my boot and no cold air comes in.
If the temp is above 80F (26C) i usually do a slightly higher cuff so that air can circulate in the legs a little.
(i don't believe men should wear shorts unless sports are involved...)

I don't prefer one or the other, i do what is needed depending on the situation.

I haven’t cuffed any jeans since mom bought me the last “shut up, you’ll grow into em” pair. I like the looks of engineer boots but it seems to me that if pants are cuffed so the buckle and strap can be seen clearly while standing, they’re going to ride awfully high while sitting; either riding or static. Counterintuitive to me, I guess, where the cowboy boot is usually simple in the foot and the shaft is reserved for what’s not usually seen until seated, and then usually just enough to make one curious.
BA72FE57-1C2C-44F2-B942-D6274D957D64.jpeg

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Counterintuitive to me, I guess, where the cowboy boot is usually simple in the foot and the shaft is reserved for what’s not usually seen until seated, and then usually just enough to make one curious.
You raise a good point here Bamaboots. I own a couple pairs of cowboy boots but I never wear them with cuffed jeans. For some reason I think they look much neater without the cuff.

SinSir

A-List Customer
I'm pretty sure its a no go in a fashion sense for cowboy boots and cuffs. Maybe that's the Texas in me coming out. Other boots totally cool but can't say I ever have worn cuffs with cowboy boots and honestly cant think of seeing it much if at all. Maybe its totally cool and a thing but really whatever works. No judgement here.

Edward

Bartender
This seems to make 100% sense but I don’t know why. Maybe just images we’ve seen.

Likely. Cuffs started as a practical thing, but became fashion. Opposite of that trend in the UK circa 2006 for folks to wear bootcut (stealth flares) jeans too long, then walk on the rear hem til they wore into a sort of u-shape tinged with dirt!

I think that's more of function over form to make clearance for the heavy spur straps.

Interesting tho, comparing with the trend to cuff with buckled engineer boots.

Cowboys also didn't like their jeans to rise too high when on horseback, while bikers need to keep them free of gears and such. Could be another reason for what then evolved into different trends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto