Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cuffs on trousers

Jovan

Suspended
Everyone should have two inch cuffs!

(And not listen to me, because my strong sense of aesthetics rarely applies to everyone. :p)

All joking aside, proportion is good to have with clothes. A shorter cuff will probably make your legs look longer. Of course, no cuff at all would make your legs look even longer, but everyone has style preferences.

Dagwood

Practically Family
Jovan said:
All joking aside, proportion is good to have with clothes. A shorter cuff will probably make your legs look longer. Of course, no cuff at all would make your legs look even longer, but everyone has style preferences.

True - I have short legs and tailors usually try to get me to go with no cuffs. However, I prefer a cuff and go for 1 1/4 or 1 1/2.

Dostacos, if you are a shorter fellow, you may want to look at this thread.

dostacos

Practically Family
since I will be doing a internet custom suit, I won't have to worry about what the tailor wants. but I think I will split the difference and go with 1.5

Dan

Feraud

Bartender
I have had 2" cuffs put on pants with no ill effects. :)

Proportion is in the eye of the beholder. I have yet to meet a guy on the street who understands clothing proportion.

I say get whatever length cuff you like and enjoy it.

Jovan

Suspended
I'm sure there would be no "ill effects"... but it's just a suggestion, not a rule. I would certainly advise someone NOT to go for anything crazy like a 2.5" cuff or five sleeve buttons, but it's their choice.

dostacos

Practically Family
Ferragamo said:
Fellas Im 6'2 and wear a size 12-13 shoe, I went from a 2 inch cuff to 2.5 inch and I dont think I can ever go back... I wear my pants really wide at the bottom so my big cuffs give me a nice drape.. especially with the heavier fabrics.

6'2" and 2.5 will work fine especially with feet that are a tad over national average. [size 38-39 suit and 8 1/2 shoe size back in the day I sold suits for a living] for me 6 inches shorter and ALL in the legs 28" inseam as well as being overweight I think would not fly, I may go with 2"

It is hard for those of us that are morbidly under tall to look good in much of anything, well ok I look good in a jacuzzi.....as long as I stay neck deep and the bubbles are on warp 6:eek:

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I've seen quite a few vintage slacks with 2 inch cuffs, but the majority that I've seen are 1 and 3/4th inches wide.

chucklehead

A-List Customer
resortes805 said:
wide cuffs, or cuffs in general?

in general that's "the rule"

do what you like & what you think looks best. if you want ask, people what they think ( in person) b4 deciding if you want. try upscale mens stores for opinoins as well. i cannt spell for beeans.darn it

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Interesting. However, I believe the higher waist on vintage slacks also give the illusion of having longer legs, especially if there is a slight 'drapey' break and taper.

RetroRich

New in Town
All my vintage trouser turn-ups range between 1 1/2" & 1 3/4",so thats what i stick to when having new ones made,no matter how wide or how high they are.
If it was good enough then,its good enough now.

Belloqinabush

New in Town
I am a tall fellow by most standards and wear my trousers a good couple inches above my navel with suits. The thing is that a recent suit I purchased with double forward pleated trousers doesn't have enough material for me to put any real cuff on them without dropping the trousers down from above my hips. Is this something that is just not done, or are pleats without a cuff acceptable now or in the golden era?

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Pleated or otherwise, I've only rarely seen vintage suit trousers without cuffs ("turn ups" as the Brits call them); certain era/modes of dress are cuffless, but otherwise 1 3/4" - 2" is pretty much the standard width for vintage trouser cuffs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Togs