Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Current issue A-2?

cco23i

A-List Customer
For WW2 it's the wrong color and has the hand warmer pockets. (If it's the same one our tanker pilots get).

Scott

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
The last I checked, The Cockpit (Averix) has the contract for USAF A-2s. To my knowledge, there have only been three contractors since the A-2 was re-introduced in 1988. Saddlery (Cooper) had a 1988 and a 1996 contract. Branded Leather (Orchard) had a 1992 contract. Averix had a 1998 contract and The Cockpit (the new Averix) has the current contract.

AF

Republic_Flier

Familiar Face
Well I'm thinking it's a modern day issue jacket not a WW2 type. Probably will end up firing off an email to Vanguard regarding the manufacturer of this jacket.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
The "new" current issue A-2 (The Cockpit's version) has hand warmer pockets and lacks the throat latch. The "old" current issue A-2 (the Saddlery, Orchard and Averix version) had the throat latch and patch pockets.

AF

Bingo

New in Town
A2

if you want a ww2 looking one, then it's the wrong colour. Also check how many panels the back of the jacket has. You can't see from the link.
WW2 A2's had one panel making the back.

Republic_Flier

Familiar Face
I sent off an email to Vanguard regarding the manufacture of this jacket and if it is the current issue. Too bad I just noticed they had a live chat feature on their site. Oh well I'll keep you guys posted when they reply.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Aren't issue jackets generally marked in 38-40-42-44 sizing rather than S-M-L-XL? (See the US Wings site: their official versions are sized numerically, whereas their others are sized alphabetically.)

And some makers, like Gibson & Barnes, also have Short/Reg/Tall versions as well as the numeric sizing, which shows a far more serious committment to proper fit...

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Doctor Strange said:
Aren't issue jackets...marked in 38-40-42-44 sizing rather than S-M-L-XL...(and aren't they provided in) Short/Reg/Tall versions as well as the numeric sizing?
Yes.

The jacket in question here is not the jacket provided for purchase by Air Force flight crew. It may be a good jacket, and it may be very much like the issued jacket, but I am of the opinion that Cockpit still has the USAF contract.

AF

Republic_Flier

Familiar Face
It could be just a really dark brown, but also don't forget the jacket seems to come with all the velcro patches like the real issue one.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It says it's black right there on the page... and its sounds like that's pefectly correct for the flight jacket that the CAP is using now.

A quick look at the Wiki page on the Civil Air Patrol shows that they have a whole bunch of different approved uniform garments. And in fact, I recall a couple of years ago, when US Wings introduced their black goatskin A-2 with handwarmers but without a throat latch, they said that it had been made for a large contract.

The point is, we're talking about the CAP here - which is a separate entity from the USAF. CAP's jackets/uniforms have little or nothing to do with what's been issued by the Air Force. So, I'd say that this black A-2 is "legit"... for the CAP.

And there's nothing wrong with a black A-2. I've had my G&B black A-2 since 2001, and it gets more wear than all my brown jackets put together!

pjstrass

One of the Regulars
Pops A2 type flight jackets

has anyone actually gotten their airline jacket...looks like a good price for a custom made jacket...tho they discourage goatskin...would be most curious....

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
civil response

a look at the civil air patrol website (http://www.capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/member_services/uniform_information/) has a link to vanguard, and vanguard makes a number of their uniform and jacket requirements.

i think it's pretty cool to get legit spec leather jackets from other services aside from the main 4, tho in all honesty it seems to be a slightly modified usaf a-2...but still cool from a collector's pov...i'd get it

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
oH mY

just realized i needed 2 more posts to hit 500. have slacked off a bit since i got the perfect jacket (eastman luftwaffe horsehide), but now i need one more post to hit 500. i'll choose wisely.

i am gratified to know that everyone on fedlounge has enjoyed every one of my posts immensely ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy