Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Hat Liners?

John J

Familiar Face
Good afternoon everyone , I hope all is well.

Need opinions .

I have a hat that will be built By Bob at black sheep hat.

Art is making me one currently as well.

Bob has his peek a boo liners available (unique and fun) , which is a vintage looking pin up girl drawing,

the material for the Pin up girl liners is cotton thus will get dirty easy.

what Bob does is put clear plastic just over the picture and then does black satin around the rest of the hat which also frames the picture.

Will the Hat be too warm with the clear plastic over the picture??? (100% beaver dark cherry color.)

I don't want a sweat box!

if deemed too warm Ill get one of his print liners in brocade or paisley.

many thanks

"John"

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Depends on personal taste, really. Some of my hats have the plastic bit, some don't - I've never noticed it adding any significant level of heat, or any noticeable discomfort. Typically when those hats are too warm, all my lined fedoras will be too warm. The peekaboo liners sounds great. Especially the black bits on the sides. Most of my hats have ugly yellowing to the liners where my baldy little head has rubbed on them over time. I wish black was the standard: my first fur felt fedora still has its original black liner, which still looks like new.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Agree with Edward. I've never noticed an appreciable difference with the plastic liner top. Some folks do say that it does make a difference. Frankly, I'm more inclined to thinking that the liner is going to have a negligible effect. If it's hot out, it's hot.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I have a hat with one of Bob's pinup liners. No plastic over mine and it hasn't started to look dirty so far

smugshot_4293891-L.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
Looks like a Tahitian women print material to me. Shouldn't be too hard to make if you find the material at a craft/sewing store. It could be sewn into the tip of your old liners.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

John Galt

Vendor
My aunt is a seamstress. I'll see if she would be interested in doing a batch & what she would have to get for each to make it worth doing.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like the liner. Adds a sense of personal style and its better than a worn out or ratty looking one if you had one to begin with or not.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
It's way to busy for my taste. I'm also not sure why I would put a pinup in my hat - though she's quite cute. Just my 2 cents :)

I obviously need to venture into these types of threads more because I had no idea people were putting pinup liners in their hats! Lol! I agree Ole, it does look busy and unusual, but it would be a conversation starter for sure. I just assumed that men were getting the traditional liners that only showed the hatmaker's name and address, never knew about pin ups. Is this a relatively recent trend or is this what is standard for custom made hats for men?

Cattus Petasatus

One of the Regulars
way to busy

...and LOUD. If I had any sewing skills I'd just have the pin-up as the top of the liner and sew in a plain black for the sides. I think that would take some of the busy-ness out.

Is this a relatively recent trend or is this what is standard for custom made hats for men?

I've only seen it as an option from Black Sheep Hat Works. He doesn't sell the liners by themselves, only with new hats (or rebuilds.) I asked.

Thanks Bond, John & Dogman. I had to order the fabric online. I couldn't find any at my local fabric store.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
...and LOUD. If I had any sewing skills I'd just have the pin-up as the top of the liner and sew in a plain black for the sides. I think that would take some of the busy-ness out.

I've only seen it as an option from Black Sheep Hat Works. He doesn't sell the liners by themselves, only with new hats (or rebuilds.) .

Thanks. In my humble opinion, the pinup would also look good on a traditional silk liner but much smaller, as if part of the hatmaker's logo.

John Galt

Vendor
One is somewhat limited by the fabric choices. All of the pinup fabrics that I have seen for sale are "busy," probably because blanks would look odd in a tropics shirt, which is what they are usually used for. I think the Black Sheep option is a little less so - don't know where their fabric comes from. I do believe theirs is the primogenitor of the style, so props may be due.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB