Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom made Indy jacket

Edward

Bartender
I knew someone who used this site for a pair of jeans. Apparently the quality for the denim was fine, but the service was an issue... A tall fellow already, he wanted them well long in the leg for big, rockabilly cuffs. The company looked at his order, and without contacting him decided on his behalf that noone could possibly need jeans that long in the leg, and so chose to shorten them to what they thought appropriate - based on no cuff, of course. When he complained, they invited him to return them to see what they could do - at his expense. Indy jacket might be better..... though it seems almost too cheap to be any good? If it's up to the quality of one of the better Westeds, at that price it's fine, but there is the danger it's very cheap and very thin hide at that price. Which could be fine if you're only looking for a costume piece, but I'd be wary of you want a serviceable jacket for wearing out and about.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Beware! "Pure Napa sheep skin" ,...whatever that is exactly, tears very easily. Jackets made of that stuff don't last.
You'd be much better off with a horse hide, cow or goat skin jacket for probably 3 times that price at least.
Ya really do get what ya pay for.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Beware! "Pure Napa sheep skin" ,...whatever that is exactly, tears very easily. Jackets made of that stuff don't last.
You'd be much better off with a horse hide, cow or goat skin jacket for probably 3 times that price at least.

The film jacket was made of cheap light lamb, so at least that bit's screen accurate.;) Don't do it. For a cheap Indy that's accurate get a Coyle's made by Todd.

Quoting what Joel Shapiro wrote on another thread here, you don't buy the jacket....you buy the jacket maker.
Save your money for a jacket from a known maker with a good reputation.

No way this is decent leather...much less overall fit.
Likely made in a high volume, low quality shop in China, or Pakistan.

Edward

Bartender

Ah! I missed that. Yes, I would avoid on that basis. The film jackets were indeed lambskin. The Wested lambskins are popular with the cosplay crowd as being screen accurate, but if you're rough on jackets, lamb isn't ideal. Personally, when looking for a cheapish Indy jacket I'd recommend Wested's goat. Lighter and a bit thinner than the Aero goat, it has to my eye the same drape as the light lambskin used in the film, but more durable. Mine is my Summer leather.

If I was minded to put serious money into an Indy, the new Bill Kelso looks good.

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
I've done some research into this. From Peter at Wested and from a couple of academic sources in the production of leather. The leather used in Raiders was a rough and ready merino type sheep leather, this has the characteristic 'ribby' texture to some of the panels, 'ribby' is considered a fault by the industry but in the same way that 'jerky' is liked by some vintage leather fans, 'ribby' or 'striated' is liked by some in the Indy community.

So it was technically 'lamb' but not the lamb most would expect when they talk about lamb. There has been a lot of development in thinner cowhides and veg tanned sheep leather recently with the Indy jacket makers that will give you tougher leather.

I've used the jeans place for jeans. They are 'ok' but getting the right fit is a bit hit or miss. They have used a picture of mine in their web page for this jacket, yet despite me asking have not removed it. It is the beaten up one lying on the ground, that is a older Wested jacket.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
I would actually be more concerned about additives and residuals from tanning, child labour in underdeveloped countries, and pollution, adding harm to myself as well as to others. From my simple point of view, cheap things always come at a price. A leather-jacket for 120 $ had most likely somebody suffering in the process. There is no free lunch in this world, period.

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
Although that is a possibility. Low prices also reflect local price and wage structures. You cannot immediately assume that someone suffered in the process. The flip side is, someone is employed where otherwise they might not be and they might be far better off than they would have been without the option of working for the clothing manufacturer.

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Argh, Templar, that one laying on the ground was the one I liked in the pics! Theirs is probably the one on the mannequin with the brown background. I'll pass for now, if later on I decide to roll the dice on it, I'll let you guys know how it is.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Although that is a possibility. Low prices also reflect local price and wage structures. You cannot immediately assume that someone suffered in the process. The flip side is, someone is employed where otherwise they might not be and they might be far better off than they would have been without the option of working for the clothing manufacturer.
Maybe we can agree that we both don't know? I can concede that my statement was coloured by prejudices, as I don't know the specific working-conditions in this case.
I will still be suspicious when something is too cheap, in my view. ;)

Jonnyboy

New in Town
I think two of the images (the ones with the orange/brown background) are from the Belstaff website. Not sure where the detail shot is from, with the fairly shiny leather. The jacket looks quite nice in this shot, but I bet it's not one that they've made!

I've been thinking of buying an Indy jacket myself - I don't know which manufacturer to go for, but I would worry about what would turn up if I ordered one of these.

Cheers,

Jon

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
Maybe we can agree that we both don't know? I can concede that my statement was coloured by prejudices, as I don't know the specific working-conditions in this case.
I will still be suspicious when something is too cheap, in my view. ;)

One aspect that we often ignore is the specific tax burden certain countries shoulder. ie how much of your income disappears into the govt's pocket before you get hold of it. This includes all taxes, ie VAT and property.community taxes.

In the UK that is 40+%, in India it's 20%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_Freedom_Day

andyfalzon

Vendor
I don't know if it has been mentioned ealier but this vendor uses photos of jackets from other vendors this jacket. The Few Mfg in this case.

Edward

Bartender
They have used a picture of mine in their web page for this jacket, yet despite me asking have not removed it. It is the beaten up one lying on the ground, that is a older Wested jacket.

Seems you're not the only one they've ripped off. This is - as you're likely aware - a clear case of copyright infringement. Here in the UK (and in the US, for that matter), the way to deal with it would be to go to their ISP who would then face an obligation to remove, but things in India ain't so clear.

Any case, seems to me a company which needs to rely on photos of others' work to sell its own can't have much faith in its own product.

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
So true. BTW, ever been to India? Yes? Ok.

No, but I have been to China and the same model applies. Ironically with the increase in the local wages and inflation in China they may be becoming too expensive for the 'West' to keep manufacturing there. You get the same product, it's just more expensive! So many companies are looking to the rest of SE Asia etc.

Edward

Bartender
No, but I have been to China and the same model applies. Ironically with the increase in the local wages and inflation in China they may be becoming too expensive for the 'West' to keep manufacturing there. You get the same product, it's just more expensive! So many companies are looking to the rest of SE Asia etc.

I've seen hints of that too (ironically, as I type this I'm sitting in a hotel room in Beijing). I expect Africa will soon become the target for much manufacturing, though India has mileage in it yet from that perspective (I visited Bangalore in 2010, and that was more of a culture shock than ever China was). I'm hoping the Chinese learn from the mistakes of the West and don't simply outsource all their manufacturing. With the quality of goods I have experienced here right across the board, seeing what is possible when they are given the budget (as opposed to "we want ten million of these for nearly free"), China could easily be the new Japan a second time.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Kt Templar[/quote said:
Edward said:
I've seen hints of that too (ironically, as I type this I'm sitting in a hotel room in Beijing). I expect Africa will soon become the target for much manufacturing, though India has mileage in it yet from that perspective (I visited Bangalore in 2010, and that was more of a culture shock than ever China was). I'm hoping the Chinese learn from the mistakes of the West and don't simply outsource all their manufacturing. With the quality of goods I have experienced here right across the board, seeing what is possible when they are given the budget (as opposed to "we want ten million of these for nearly free"), China could easily be the new Japan a second time.
I recommend everyone buy all the cheap stuff they want, since we're running out of cheap places to make it and that means prices will sooner or later increase. The planet is finite, after all, even if our hunger for Wal-Fart goods apparently isn't!

For various reasons I doubt Africa will become the cheap manufacturing haven that places like China and India have been, but we'll see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran