Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom made vintage repros...

MissHannah

One Too Many
This is the suit I had made by Cynthia. Looking at the photo I think I may have been a little harsh about it earlier but I just know how much better it would have been in a good stiff wool blend:

Portobello1a.jpg

It is lined, but it being the first thing I ever had her make I didn't know to specify I wanted a silky lining and I ended up with a nasty fuzzy nylon lining!

palespider

One of the Regulars
yes it does, i wanted the same one in a darker green. As a larger gal im not sure if its a good thing or bad thing to have a some streach wool type fabric in suiting and sorry about the lining but thanks somuch for the heads up

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
Lenore said:
Dita just posted a picture of herself in a fabulous '55 Dior Tweed Suit.

I'm wondering if it could be copied if I send the picture to Top Runway... I think I'm in love.

112623533.jpg

This picture made me laugh - did anyone notice how hilarious the contrast is between Dita and the modern people in the background??? Sometimes it surprises me how much has changed in fashion in such a little amount of time!

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
MaryMary said:
This picture made me laugh - did anyone notice how hilarious the contrast is between Dita and the modern people in the background??? Sometimes it surprises me how much has changed in fashion in such a little amount of time!

You know, I must have seen that photo about 10 times going through this thread, and not once did I notice anything but Dita and that gorgeous dress. Maybe my brain has been trained to separate the wheat from the chaff!

I didn't think moths ate denim, by the way.:rolleyes:

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
I think I posted on this when I first joined the Lounge, but does anyone know if Shady Lady Clothing is still in business? Their website has not changed in years! There's a few things I'm so coveting on it...

GrrlFriday

New in Town
MissHannah said:
This is the suit I had made by Cynthia. Looking at the photo I think I may have been a little harsh about it earlier but I just know how much better it would have been in a good stiff wool blend:

Portobello1a.jpg

It is lined, but it being the first thing I ever had her make I didn't know to specify I wanted a silky lining and I ended up with a nasty fuzzy nylon lining!

MissHannah, I understand where you're coming from not being 100% happy with the final product. But I have to say both you and that suit look lovely.

MidnightBlue

New in Town
I've so enjoyed this thread, having been tempted by toprunway for quite a while. Its my birthday in August so now could be the time to start dropping hints :) My main concern, along with fabrics, is sizing. I know you've all said you've been really happy. I guess I'm just paranoid I won't measure quite right

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I've considered a suit from Top runway, but just how bad are the fabrics? I want a wartime utility suit and so a nice tweed or Gab would be good..just have visions of shiny poly mixes.

Also, what's her order time like? My sis lives in Hong Kong and she says the little speedy tailors aren't as good as they were (she has a lot of vintage Chanel and Dior and had them copied some time ago, they did an amazing job, particularly some of the Boucle Wool suits, but apparently not as speedy or cheap anymore!)
K

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Interesting thread this.

Most clothes makers will make garments in fabric you supply (often for the same price, but, you know). Has anyone asked whether the TopRunway will do this? The results might be better with proper fabrics.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Drappa said:
What a great thread! I recently got a dress from an Ebay seller named qbiffa http://shop.ebay.co.uk/qbiffa/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340 and it is fabulous. They are also relatively cheap and have lots of blouses and sweaters, but not sure if they custom make things. Might be worth asking though.

I just have! She has some tie front tops that have caught my eye, and I just emailed her to see if long sleeves would be an option.

I had her saved as a favourite seller, and forgot - cheers for the reminder! I'll update if ever I order anything!

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I met with a friend yesterday who is going to make me a couple of dresses and some other stuff - apparently the next stage is her making a block, which I assume is another name for a toile. Photos will be forthcoming at the end of it! And if it all goes well, I will pimp her out to the rest of you London-based women!

MissHannah

One Too Many
MidnightBlue said:
I've so enjoyed this thread, having been tempted by toprunway for quite a while. Its my birthday in August so now could be the time to start dropping hints :) My main concern, along with fabrics, is sizing. I know you've all said you've been really happy. I guess I'm just paranoid I won't measure quite right

Cynthia gives VERY clear instructions and makes you double check everything. She's really good so you don't need to worry on tat score. Don't try to measure yourself though, get a friend or partner to help.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Kitty_Sheridan said:
I've considered a suit from Top runway, but just how bad are the fabrics? I want a wartime utility suit and so a nice tweed or Gab would be good..just have visions of shiny poly mixes.

Also, what's her order time like? My sis lives in Hong Kong and she says the little speedy tailors aren't as good as they were (she has a lot of vintage Chanel and Dior and had them copied some time ago, they did an amazing job, particularly some of the Boucle Wool suits, but apparently not as speedy or cheap anymore!)
K

I think the suit fabrics are pretty crappy and wouldn't recommend them - buy your own and send it over if you can. Apparently she is up for this as long as you ask in advance. Not sure if it would affect the price or not. The poly-cotton mix she uses for skirts etc is fine - not shiny or stretchy at all. It's not super-high quality and will start to pill after a lot of wear but aesthetically it's fine and not too modern. Turnaround time is about 4 weeks usually. The package arrives from Vietnam so I'm guessing she outsources.

Drappa

One Too Many
Advice on taffeta dress from TopRunway/heartmycloset

Has anyone bought this dress http://www.etsy.com/listing/51022057/classic-swing-celeb-inspired-dress from Cynthia?

And if so, how is the fabric quality? I need to get a dress for a wedding I am attending in October, but haven't found anything and been looking for weeks. I really love this one, especially the original Audrey one, but am worried the taffeta will not be that nice and some of the pictures aren't that great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails