Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Shirt with Undercurve

Dagwood

Practically Family
Inspired by Belly Tank's detachable collar and Baron Kurtz, I went to a local shirt maker and had a shirt made. After 6 work days, he produced the following:

The collar (3 1/4 inches long):
b_164355.jpg

The front:
b_164605.jpg

The back:
b_164537.jpg

He couldn't do Matt Deckard's tails, but a really good job. Fit's great. He let me choose the fabric.

Dagwood

Practically Family
Thanks Sefton. With tie (and stays):

b_174616.jpg

b_174645.jpg

Finally, a picture without the stays (my preference):

b_175611.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Thanks for showing this one off Dagwood. Looks like it fits well through the body. Do you find that off-the-rack shirts tend to blouse way out over your trousers? They always seem so big around the body, even in "trim" cuts. And one reach for the book on the shelf and it's all tugged out anyway.

Henrik has had some success making his own collars. And I think I've read posts by others saying that shirts aren't that terribly difficult to make. I wonder if we could get a step-by-step tutorial going from someone here? Or maybe one of us needs to be bold and give it a shot, and share the learning curve?

Back to this shirt... Better without stays I think. Have you got any collar bars?

Dagwood

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Thanks for showing this one off Dagwood. Looks like it fits well through the body. Do you find that off-the-rack shirts tend to blouse way out over your trousers? They always seem so big around the body, even in "trim" cuts. And one reach for the book on the shelf and it's all tugged out anyway.

You know how Matt Deckard feels about armholes? I feel the same way about shirts that blouse. I feel like I'm wearing an opened parachute.

I'll post pics with collar bar. Thanks to all for the kind words.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Dagwood, would you mind taking a picture of the collar flapped up with the shirt flat on a table or something, so we can see the curve better?

Dagwood

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
Who did you use?

Thanks Tomasso. I used Freddy Vandecasteele in Sherman Oaks. A really great guy.

Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
Dagwood, would you mind taking a picture of the collar flapped up with the shirt flat on a table or something, so we can see the curve better?

Hope these pics help:

b_161310.jpg

b_154452.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Dagwood said:
I used Freddy Vandecasteele
I see that you caught my recommendation. ;) Anto would probably be a step up but so is their price-point and they have a six shirt minimum. :(

Dagwood

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
I see that you caught my recommendation. ;) Anto would probably be a step up but so is their price-point and they have a six shirt minimum. :(

I told Freddy that someone on the Lounge had recommended him. Much thanks for the recommendation. :)

Freddy had no minimum and told me to try the shirt out for a couple of weeks so that I can learn what I like and don't like. I definitely plan on using him again.

Jovan

Suspended
Very nice. Next time, ask him for a soft collar and no collar stays. That'll help the look immensely. Strange he wouldn't do gussets, but I've found they're not really necessary anyways. [huh]

Good going, that is one long collar! (Brooks Brothers makes their button downs about that length, 3 3/8")

StanleyVanBuren

I think it looks great and I especially like the pattern. It's good to know you had a good experience with a local guy who I might eventually go to.

I also agree with others that the shirt with that collar like that looks better without the collar stays. The look just flows better with everything else around it.

Now, I look at this and I think it would still be too loose for my liking. Is that really slim-fitting enough for you and it doesn't billow out with movement?

Finally, you've definitely demonstrated, as others have as well, that undercurve is simply a must if you're going with this type of collar.

Dagwood

Practically Family
StanleyVanBuren said:
Now, I look at this and I think it would still be too loose for my liking. Is that really slim-fitting enough for you and it doesn't billow out with movement?

I don't recall having any billowing problems. I'll double-check once I get it back from the cleaners. Generally, shirts can shrink a little once they have gone to the cleaners a couple of times.

I'm sure that Freddy would have no problem adding darts if you would like a more slim-look.

Thanks for the compliment. I am now definitely a true believer in the power of the undercurve. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael