Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom shirts

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Has anyone ordered custom shirts over the internets from Hong Kong etc?
Does anyone in the US, still make them at a resonable cost? A local tailor wanted $200 a piece, which I thought was quite ridiculous.

Does anyone care to share their experiences?
It is possible to get a more generous sized 30's/40's collar?

For years I've been fighting a losing battle with off the shelf shirts and am leaning towards this idea.

Thanks

Robert Conway

db5zx

Familiar Face
I have no idea about custom tailored shirts in the US...

...but I am from Germany, and there is a custom tailor where you can get shirts of great quality for 50 Euros, which is probably around 65 or so dollars. If you speak German and know your measurements in the metric system, they do ship worldwide. It costs 44 Euros, but if you order a couple of shirts at once, it might be worth it. The address is http://www.dolzershop.de

Jens

P.S.: I currently live in the US, in Washington, DC, to be exact, so if you know any good custom tailors around here, let me know, I need a few new shirts.

Mojopresley

New in Town
I have not ordered from these folks yet, http://jantzentailor.com/contactus.htm - but a good friend of mine just returned from Hong Kong and had ordered 10 shirts from them that he brought back. At a business dinner a couple of weeks ago I mentioned that his shirt looked sharp - The fabric itself was nice, but the details really caught me. French cuffs, but there was a contrasting fabric on the inner lining of the cuff, the button placket and collar. It was super sharp. He gave me the information for this tailor. Even more impressive was the fact that my friend told me that these guys remember the name of everyone who comes in to their shop or orders online/over the phone.

So, let's see - high quality, custom tailoring, more collar, cuff and contrast options than you could possibly have built - oh, and stellar customer service. And, did I mention the price of a shirt from these folks is.....$295?!?!? Oh, wait, guess I forgot to mention that that is $295 HK - or $38.00 US. I haven't done a lot of research, but I'm pretty much thinking I'm not going to get all of these benefits from a US tailor for 38 skins.

Oh, and these cats will make collars the size of spruce goose wings if you want 'em.

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
So, let's see - high quality, custom tailoring, more collar, cuff and contrast options than you could possibly have built - oh, and stellar customer service. And, did I mention the price of a shirt from these folks is.....$295?!?!? Oh, wait, guess I forgot to mention that that is $295 HK - or $38.00 US. I haven't done a lot of research, but I'm pretty much thinking I'm not get to get all of these benefits from a US tailor for 38 skins.

Oh, and these cats will make collars the size of spruce goose wings if you want 'em.
[/QUOTE]

Very interesting. I'll take a look at them.

thanks,

Robert Conway

Ed

Familiar Face
Hemrajani Brothers

I've ordered shirts from Hemrajani Brothers

www.mytailor.com

Joe Hemrajani visits cities all over the US

100% cotton shirts start at around $65 and Joe will do any style you
want, not just what's shown on the website.

I've been pleased with the construction and the fit.

I just ordered a trial shirt from http://www.mytailor.com the other day. It's supposed to be here in about 5 weeks, so I'll let everyone know how I make out with it.

I was going to go back to Brooks Brothers and order another 3 or 4 shirts, but I knew with a bit of detective work I could probably find which manufacturer they were using and then deal with them direct. As my shirts from BB took 5 weeks for delivery, I knew they were outsourcing the work to Asia. By the choice of material they're offering, mytailor may be that manufacturer.

I certainly wanted to get the same material as I got from BB, but it may be hit and miss. I went with a two-ply broadcloth for $65, figuring if BB is charging $150 for shirts, then I'll presume they're getting more than 100% markup. What's good about the mytailor site is that you can simply enter the measurements of your best fiting shirt - there's no guesswork about what you're going to get (hopefully) So I took my BB shirt and measured the sleeves, cuffs, etc. and that was it. Now the only problem there may be is if it doesn't fit correctly, because then you have to deal with sending it back and customs and all which is involved. When I got my BB shirt, one of them had some bad stitiching and the sales clerk sent it back (To BB's credit, they didn't want one of their shirts out the door in that condition)

Searching through websites for two days, I found a lot of U.S. middlemen. They offer the same shirts, suits, etc. as the Asian tailors - the graphics they use are taken right rom the Asian sites - but mark up the price 100%. I suppose they get a lot of orders from people who don't know any better.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Thanks a bunch, Jack and Ed!

Just made an appointment with the MyTailor folks for Washington later this month. Will post my impressions of their work and how they worked with me in person after the appointment. Will probably order a fancy french cuff dress shirt or two AND get them to make me a few WWII USAAF poplin shirt to go with the NOS wool-gab pants I bought last year. -- ZF

Ed

Familiar Face
Anto Shirts Beverly Hills

For those living in Los Angeles,

Anto Distinctive Shirt Makers 268 N Beverly Dr Beverly Hills, CA

make custom shirts right on the premises.

Pricey, ($200 +) but oustanding quality.

Anto took over the shop from the late Nat Wise who made shirts
for almost all the Hollywood celebs. They still have the patterns
for Frank Sinatra, Ronald Reagan, Dean Martin, Jack Benny and
many more.

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Ed said:
For those living in Los Angeles,
Anto Distinctive Shirt Makers 268 N Beverly Dr Beverly Hills, CA
make custom shirts right on the premises.
Pricey, ($200 +) but oustanding quality.

Yep, I know that shop. But $200+ is way too expensive. Their shirts are very nice, but you are paying a substantial markup for his rent.
;-)

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Jos. A Bank Shirt Sale

Just a mention:

Jos. A. Bank is having a shirt sale right now mostly 100%
cotton they had nice selction in the store I stopped at!

SC ;)

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I'd love to see some pics of a few of these custom made shirts, especially the ones available over the internet (like Mycustomtailor).

:cheers1:

NIBH.COM

I have about 10 shirts that were made by Nick at NIBH which is in Hong Kong, great shirts, he charges $130 bucks for 3 shirts shipping included in any style you want. But after seeing the other sites on the board I may be switching and just let him produce my suits and slacks!!

:cheers1:

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
Just got my first custom shirt

Actually, I ordered a "semi-custom" shirt. They start with a generic body, either full or trim cut, and do one of about eight collars, a few different cuff styles, contrast collar if desired, etc.

Ordered it from Brittons, a men's clothing store in Columbia SC. The shirts are sewn somewhere in South America, I think. Picked up my shirt today. It's a blue and white herringbone, large spread collar, white contrast collar (but not cuffs), with french cuffs. Monogrammed, small dark blue block on the shirt tail. $85. Lovely shirt. Great stitching, etc., and lovely 100% cotton cloth. I'll get more as finances allow.

Find them at www.brittonsofcolumbia.com. I talked to Perry Lancaster, the store manager, a quite well-dressed man himself. It's always good to see clothing store employees who know how to wear clothes.

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
Their Web site is down...

...and will be for several weeks, I was told today. But the name of the company that made the shirt is called Overton, and the shirts are actually pieced in Honduras. I washed and ironed my new one today, and I love it. Now, gotta find the right bow tie for it.

Just got this e-mail in from MyTailor.com. For anyone in the New York City area:

I am pleased to let you know that I will shortly be making a special visit to your area. I very much look forward to meeting you, and welcome the opportunity to be of service any way I can.

Feb 20, 21, 22, 23
Mon Thru Thu
The New York Hilton
1335 Ave.of Americas
New York NY 10019 (212) 586-7000

Feb 24, 25
Fri & Sat
Sat until 2 PM Marriott Financial
85 West Street
New York NY 10016 (212) 385-4900

For appointments please call the hotel on the above dates and ask for Joe Hemrajani
or call 1-800-466-7133, Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., PST.

Regards,

Senator Jack

JeffW

Familiar Face
I get mine from http://www.dress-for-success.com/ I have been very happy with them and prices are great. I do suggest that since they are 100% cotton that you allow a little for sleve length and collar shrinkage. I guess I must have about 30 of them so far. One of my detectives and the Chief order from them also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner