Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Customer experiences with Aero Leather

JLStorm

Practically Family
I dont know if its my imagination, but it seems like those who order in the US directly through Aero in Scotland dont have these extremely long waits. Might be something to think about...but again, not sure if thats entirely accurate.

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
Mark said that Aero is off on holiday this coming week, so the next shipment headed his way will be sent after they return. What's one more week, right?

I'm also a little nervous on the sizing too. My suit jacket is 44R, outdoor jacket size is a 46R (outdoor meaning Carhartt-type jackets), and given my measurements Mark recommended a 48. I guess we'll see. I've read that they are very good at sizing over at Aero, so I'm thinking it'll all turn out okay.

Of course I'll post a full review of the jacket when it arrives.

Tommer

univibe88

One Too Many
I'm sure since you gave your measurements that it will be just fine. I wouldn't worry too much about what the size tag says.

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
GranadaGuy617 said:
Wow....6 months of waiting...it better be worth it.

Hah, what luck -- I just got my ship notice! If it comes on time, it will just be shy of 25 weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Tommer - I'm kinda worried about mine as well. I am not a standard size so I suspect that was why mine took so long. Mark didn't recommend a specific size for me, based on my measurements. I suspect it is because my drop is larger than usual (10-12"), and I asked for a non-boxy fit so Aero probably had to modify their stock pattern to fit me. We'll see!

JLStorm

Practically Family
Ace Rimmer said:
Hah, what luck -- I just got my ship notice! If it comes on time, it will just be shy of 25 weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Tommer - I'm kinda worried about mine as well. I am not a standard size so I suspect that was why mine took so long. Mark didn't recommend a specific size for me, based on my measurements. I suspect it is because my drop is larger than usual (10-12"), and I asked for a non-boxy fit so Aero probably had to modify their stock pattern to fit me. We'll see!

Not to completely shoot down your theory, but just to offer another experience: I ordered a completely custom in every way jacket that was also not a standard size on October 24, 2008 and it shipped November 11, 2008. Maybe I just got lucky, I guess I'll know when my next jacket ships which is another custom. Both times I ordered direct through Aero, not through Mark.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Think about it this way:
Aero doesn't compromise. They put everything they got into each and every jacket. Quality takes time. Isn't that why you buy from them instead of any other manufacturer?;)

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
JLStorm said:
Not to completely shoot down your theory, but just to offer another experience: I ordered a completely custom in every way jacket that was also not a standard size on October 24, 2008 and it shipped November 11, 2008. Maybe I just got lucky, I guess I'll know when my next jacket ships which is another custom. Both times I ordered direct through Aero, not through Mark.

Or maybe I'm just unlucky! lol

I ordered through Mark the first time because of the MSN Live 30% cash back promotion. Saving $187 off a $625 jacket was too good to pass up.

We'll see how my first two Aero orders pan out. If the second one takes an unreasonably long period of time, then I'll probably go thru Amanda.

Spitfire said:
Think about it this way:
Aero doesn't compromise. They put everything they got into each and every jacket. Quality takes time. Isn't that why you buy from them instead of any other manufacturer?;)

You'll get no argument from me there! The only thing is, I would have appreciated a semi-accurate delivery estimate. Back in late 2008 the delivery timeframes were 8 weeks (give or take). If I get my jacket this week, it will be 25 weeks. That's *triple* the original estimate. Personally if they had told me up front, "hey Ace it will be 6 months" then I'd be fine with that. Or, if they were running behind, a short note to expect another x month delay would have been nice.

Neither happened, and I think the resultant "radio silence" made the original poster start this thread.

I see that Aero has tried to adjust things accordingly with their new eBay listings, in that no specific timeframes are promised. Instead, jackets are promised "for fall delivery". That's a step in the right direction, and really that's what should have happened with orders like Toomer's (and mine).

Quality truly takes time. However, when you're late (and I hope being 4 months overdue qualifies as "late") then an appropriate re-setting of expectations is in order.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Let's talk in the fall. I have ordered a RAF Irvin from them, to be made, when new sheepskins arrive in august. I have been promised that I am first in line...so all I can do is wait. Hopefully not two months AFTER august.:eek:

univibe88

One Too Many
Ace, you are right that it is about setting expectations.

I ordered in Feb and Mark "warned" me that wait times were 8-12 weeks. I am now on week 15. I'm not upset at Mark or Aero. I just wish I knew when my jacket might arrive.

It certainly helps that it is summer and I won't be able to wear it until the fall anyway.

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
Spitfire said:
Let's talk in the fall. I have ordered a RAF Irvin from them, to be made, when new sheepskins arrive in august. I have been promised that I am first in line...so all I can do is wait. Hopefully not two months AFTER august.:eek:

You, sir, have a deal! :) Hopefully I will be getting my Aero Veste de Rallye also in the fall so we can compare.

For some reason the forum software won't let me edit my post on the previous page, so I'll sum up my timeline for the Highwayman here.

Ace Rimmer said:
Aero Highwayman tagged size 40, FQHH, brown, no bi-swing back, interior gun pockets, brown alpaca lining

1. Purchased: late Nov 2008 (got the MSN Live 30% discount, so only paid $440 or so)
2. Ordered: Dec 2, 2008
3. From: Aero USA
4. Manufactured: May 18, 2009 (per the tag inside the jacket pocket)
5. Received: Jun 8, 2009

univibe: I hear ya, my biggest concern was that they forgot about me! lol Especially as I was seeing other (later) orders getting their jackets in this thread. However, as you point out it's June so no biggie for a few more weeks wait at the current time.

univibe88

One Too Many
Ace Rimmer said:
univibe: I hear ya, my biggest concern was that they forgot about me! lol Especially as I was seeing other (later) orders getting their jackets in this thread. However, as you point out it's June so no biggie for a few more weeks wait at the current time.

That is my fear too! But I also don't want to pester Mark b/c it will make no difference.

So you got your Highwayman yesterday? Let's see some pictures!

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
univibe88 said:
That is my fear too! But I also don't want to pester Mark b/c it will make no difference.

So you got your Highwayman yesterday? Let's see some pictures!

Yeah the best advice I can give is to just wait. I updated my post above with the manufacture date, which was on the inside pocket. They made my jacket on May 18, 2009, which was about 22 weeks from the date of payment. Just remember, even if you're at 15 weeks you're wayyyy ahead of me!! lol

I will get pics up but not for a while as I'm traveling on business for the next few weeks. :(

Volpone

New in Town
Another happy customer !

Highwayman, Mid-weight Seal Brown,

Ordered: 10 April
Shipped: 11 June
Arrived: 16 June
Aero Scotland

BEAUTIFUL !!!

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Congrats!
I should be getting my Highwayman very soon also.
However, I'm going on 16 weeks from Aero USA!
There definitely seems to be an advantage ordering directly thru Aero Scotland. Anybody else notice this?
Lenny

univibe88

One Too Many
OneEyeMan said:
There definitely seems to be an advantage ordering directly thru Aero Scotland. Anybody else notice this?
Lenny

There seems to be, but I can't see why there would be. It doesn't really make sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff