Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

D-Pocket leather jackets

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
my lw trojan. unless you have one on or in your hands and can see Stuarts workmanship you cant really describe them. even Stuart say's it's the best jacket out there because of its design. One of the design on the trojan that i like is the cuffs, they open up when unzipped and allow for more freedom where the j23s dont. next would be my lw j23 just barely behind the trojan. The legendary is a great coat, has all the bells & whistles as lw or the aero. the legendary & lw j23 have these passenger pockets on each side that are hand warmers. the aero has the zippers that go into the leather with no pockets. the aero has corduroy lining whereas both all my lw have nylon satin lining. the legendary has a quilted lining. Right now lost worlds is having a 10% sale on their coats. if you wear anything else than standard sizing they won't discount it. The legendary is 599 which is a great price for the jacket at half the cost of lw. due to the fact that i live in LA and the lw are so heavy my riding season is only nov thru mar or april after that they are just to warm. these are purely motorcycle jackets not fashion i never just put one on and go out. hope this helps

+1 on the Legendary Black Stallion

I picked one up at the end of last season for $520 after discount codes were applied. The grain on it is just beautiful. Plus as mentioned the handwarmer pockets in the back are fantastic, my girl always slips her hands in them while we ride, also can use it for extra storage space if you're carrying a lot of gear. Definitely recommend picking one up if you're size 42, 44, or 46 as that's all that's left.

e8I0031.png

5ARI8Oa.png

I6M5Zho.png

Last edited:

IXL

One Too Many
It's very difficult to tell on my monitor whether the above jacket is black or brown, but one thing that occurred to me recently was that D-Pockets in brown have much less of the "bad-ass" look to them and are therefore somewhat easier (if that's the right word) to wear than black ones. I was wondering if anyone owns the brown version and has any thoughts about this.

Being the owner of a brown D-pocket, I can assure you I still look very, very bad-ass......I just can't help it....a curse, really......:)

I was at the HD store just the other day, their new line of jackets is somehow even worse than what I've seen before. At least they had a couple of decent CR's in the past, and a classic Perfecto knock-off (all tainted with horrible HD logos, of course) but I swear, the new stuff is straight out of the same sweatshop that makes stuff for Zara, H&M, etc. I don't know why do I even bother going there, but I guess some of the motorcycles are really nice...

Man, will there ever be a more perfect more for them to re-do their classic line..? People pay premium for remakes of their jackets! I mean, the original HD Cafe Racer, for example, the one that looks like a J-100 only with a single pocket - or even the AMF version! Whenever one pops-up on eBay, it always ends up going for just under a grand.

Harley-Davidson-Jacket-1-e1379354577913.jpg

Harley-Cycle-Champ-1.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Well, looking ta it from an objective point of view, HD are in business to make money, first and foremost. In the last twenty years or so, they've been reinvented as a lifestyle brand. I'd hazard a guess that a very significant proportion of the folks who buy their jackets aren't ever gonig to so much as sit on a bike, but they want to buy in to the Harley brand, the image that Harley has so successfully sold of itself. To those sortts of folks, having the HD brnading on it big is probably the most important thing.... and any drop in quality is not so significant. Bearing in mind you're talking, in effect, the same fashion market as pay out big for the top of the range Belstaff fashion jackets, or Gucci, or what have you.

I'd hazard a guess too that Harley simply don't see the kind of profit they want in catering to our niche. Those of us who want a jacket like their originals can always go to one of the repro houses; how many of us would be interested in paying a bit more (which I should think it would be) to get one just with a Harley label on the inside? Probably not enough to make it worth their while....

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HD may prefer licensing their clothing to others. Some years ago, Real McCoy's made a range of repros under one such license.

Edward; You're spot on. I keep forgetting this, that it's exactly the large Harley Davidson lettering slapped on all over their jackets, that's selling their gear. I mean, why else would anyone want to pay a substantial amount of money to be a walking billboard.

Though, provided they would keep the price at the sane level of course, I for one certainly would appreciate having an option of buying an official HD repro of one of their classic designs, even if it was made in some third world country.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Lee Trevor - Made in France. Very interesting pocket shape, and I've never seen a D-Pocket and a handwarmer pocket combined. Very heavy leather on this one.

Lee Trevor jackets are a bit over the top, though... They're always trying to squeeze as many random jacket details onto any particular model, sometimes to horrid results. But some are very nice. Here's one I really liked, that I sold some time ago:

Click on it for more photos. If it was in my size, I would've kept it.

...and I've had two more. They were nice, heavy, fully functional motorcycle leather jackets. Snaps they used sucked, though. They'd get undone in the wind the moment I was going anything over 20mph...

Sadly, Sloan, it was done artificially - but whoever has done it must've spent countless hours studying true vintage leather jackets and replicating fading that would appear with time and wear. It is distressed so perfectly, I'd call it a work of art. :) Faded at all the right, logical places...

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The tag says. "Genuine Leather." Isn't that a leather by-product? I seem to remember reading that it's the scrapings of the underside of a leather piece, boiled down into a mulch, and then dried and artificially printed for grain. I think the straps of my J Crew shoulderbag are made of it.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
This one's a heavy cowhide. Lee Trevor were pretty high end back when they were a going concern. I've seen their labels in older production Johnson Motors branded leathers before Vanson took over production for them.

I don't believe "genuine leather" has a specific meaning in the industry, though I would imagine some less than scrupulous makers would be able to abuse it in the way you describe.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick