Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

D-Pocket leather jackets

The tag says. "Genuine Leather." Isn't that a leather by-product?

Nah, what Dinerman said; it could be anything, from full grain to split leather. All of the Lee Trevor jackets that I have had were made from a very nice leather. Premium sorta stuff Schott would use. Similar thickness and texture to it, mostly smooth, with some graining toward the edge of the panel.

Lee Trevor also used horsehide, deer and goat for some of their jackets. Another thing with their jackets was, they all seem to have that 80's vibe going on, the over-sized shoulders thing and all...

Oddly so, I had this jacket that was identical to another Lee Trevor D-Pocket, but this one was made from the most horrible corrected grain leather I've seen, with tiny triangles stamped onto it. But what I found odd was that the jacket must've been made by the same, well, people, that produced Lee Trevor jackets as there was virtually no difference in the construction, or the details. Everything was exactly the same, apart from the horrid leather. The hardware, lining, pocket bags, even the leather straps on the zipper pulls... The jacket had no tags. Gave it to a friend who bought his first motorcycle. He loves it to death, and still wears it every day, but man, that jacket just doesn't know how to show for it... :D

Edward

Bartender
Lee Trevor - Made in France. Very interesting pocket shape, and I've never seen a D-Pocket and a handwarmer pocket combined. Very heavy leather on this one.

Nice design, I like this a lot. Are the handwarmer and the D totally combined inside, or separate pocket-bags? I woner if there was some specific purpose for this, as the pocket flap design (to incorporate an official badge) suggests this might have been made to the design of a police department or similar....

I don't believe "genuine leather" has a specific meaning in the industry, though I would imagine some less than scrupulous makers would be able to abuse it in the way you describe.

The vast majority of leather jackets I've seen for sale over the years are just labelled "Genuine leather!" - fashion folks don't care nearly so much about these sortws of details as we tend to!

Edward, there's really no point or purpose behind many of the details found on Lee Trevor jackets. Check out this insanity:
http://www.ebay.it/itm/Vintage-Perf...evor-44US-Large-52EU-Buco-style-/291568505022
TWO badge holders, belt and side laces at the same time, and if that isn't enough, belt loops for ANOTHER belt - but only on the back of the jacket! lol I don't even...

...or...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-L...-JACKET-L-XL-BRIGGS-STRATTON-TT-/252014848951
Everything being a pocket aside, the logic behind combining a belt with a stretch waist band escapes me, as it completely defeats the purpose behind each of these features.

Most of their jackets were like that, with random patches from made up manufacturers, but they were still quality jackets, somehow.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm sure you guys are right about the Lee Trevor jackets and the "genuine leather" phrase. I guess it's one of those phrases these days that's just vague enough to be useful to the purveyors of mall jackets everywhere.

Mysteryo

One Too Many
P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; }
yo buco.jpg

Hi, every one

I received today my new Diamond Dave Buco J-21 steerhide... it's superb !

The fit is spot on, I love the attention to details, such as the original hardware, the blanquet lining, even the Buco tag, which is almost like the original (I have 5 original Bucos).

It feels very comfortable and supple right out of the box, and I'm sure the tea core pigmented leather will show a killer patina !

Since I passed it on, I just can't get it off, even as I type this message;-)

I'm looking forward to seeing Dave's futur realeases.

here are a few picts

enjoy

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
That is AWESOME! The tea core is great stuff, I wonder how long before the brown comes through? I've always loved Daves jackets. Your collection of MC jackets is absolutely superb.

Mysteryo

One Too Many
Thank you all! The jacket was posted on DD's facebook page as a sales jacket. I checked the measures and jump on the occasion to have this beauty at a reasonable price. It's a size 44, the jacket is 24" long. It has a more accentuated v Shape than the RMC. The Tea Core steehide has kind of "crackled" texture, the grain shows off naturaly, and it's very supple and pliable right out of the box. No breaking in will be requiered (I have a LW J_23, an Aero J-106, And a RMC j-24. Guess which one is the hardest to break in?)
I'll post details picts as soon as I can.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I have just been told(on a biking forum) the 'D' pocket itself was designed as part of the motorcycle police requirement to carry a gun, any thoughts on that? My thought was that as most people(police officers included) are right handed and the pocket being on the left would not make for accurate shooting on the move as I am assuming the throttle on bikes of this era was also on the right hand side? Having owned only one Police jacket, that had a slit with poppers on either side for easy access to a holster the ex officer owner advised.
Cheers, JTee

nick123

I'll Lock Up
This question has already been debated here, i guess earlier in this thread. My guess is that this d-pocket design is to be sourced in the early aviation jackets. More common to stuff gloves or map in it.

Isn't that ironic? If I was a rebellious teenager with that knowledge in the 1950s my response to
"and you think I'm letting you wear that jacket out of the house?" would be

"to the airport 'ma. To the airport..."

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I have just been told(on a biking forum) the 'D' pocket itself was designed as part of the motorcycle police requirement to carry a gun, any thoughts on that? My thought was that as most people(police officers included) are right handed and the pocket being on the left would not make for accurate shooting on the move as I am assuming the throttle on bikes of this era was also on the right hand side? Having owned only one Police jacket, that had a slit with poppers on either side for easy access to a holster the ex officer owner advised.
Cheers, JTee
The gun pocket theory is completely inaccurate, made up much much later on. D-Pockets came from early flight suits, for maps. The design made the jump from full flight suits to aviation jackets, then to motorcycle jackets. There's some more detailed discussion of it a couple of posts back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt