Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

D1 or Irvin

John Lever

One Too Many
That car looks very retro and Flash Gordon to me so why not opt for an equally radical design for the jacket ?
My advice would be to buy a Buzz Ricksons B-2. It has a very large full collar for warmth around the neck, zip sleeves to accommodate gloves, but has a thinner type of synthetic lining that is warm but lacks the bulk of the usual sheepskins. I find it tiring to drive in any sheepskin jacket, the arms are too thick to steer easily.
The B-2 is more expensive than the others, but that car is very exclusive so why not be different ?
True the B-2 is horse hide, but it's very soft and pliable, not at all like those from Aero or Lost Worlds.
BuzzRicksons015.jpg

BuzzRicksons042.jpg

BuzzRicksons014.jpg

BuzzRicksons019.jpg

BuzzRicksons018.jpg

BuzzRicksons017.jpg

BuzzRicksons016.jpg

BuzzRicksons053.jpg

The jacket also has a front pocket. Eastman sell them in the UK as BR franchise -
http://www.buzzricksons.com/
Though expensive they really look superb, mine is one of my favourites.

Edward

Bartender
Those BR B2s are gorgeous.... alas, waaaay beyond my budget. I'd like to see what Aero would make of one. I should think they could do something great for in and around the £600 mark, based on their current range?

Papa M said:
I've not seen the Aero. Your comment perhaps explains why they are selling them off cheap.

My B-10 is a Buzz Rickson and it is one of my absolute favourite jackets.

The Aero ones are, by all accounts, pretty good jackets, just not so accurate as ELC or Buzz Rickson offerings, which is obviously an issue for most folks in these parts. ;) I saw a real beauty of an Eastman B10 sell for just over a hundred quid on eBay last week. Somebody got a bargain there!

Windsock

A-List Customer
Easy decision! Go the ELC Irvin. Brit sports car= Brit flying jacket. You'll get plenty of use from it up your way and you won't be in fear of damaging it.

If you had an older species of convertable i'd advise to get an original Irvin.

I'm not crazy (please believe me) but I can feel the synergy between Jacket and Car- The Jacket may have exactly 30 years on the car but they speak the same language- I think it's the abundance of toggle switches and black and white Smiths dials. These days the jacket is happy to stay on the ground but it loves going for a blat.

P6290062-1.jpg

DSC_0735.jpg

P6290081-1.jpg

DSC_0732-1.jpg

Philrs

New in Town
Guys, the call of the Irvin was just impossible to resist. If it does not fit the car, I will sell it and buy another....

car

no, jacket of course! :)

Seriously, I am 6 3" and bought an Eastman Irvin 1940 size 46. I hope that I made the right choice!

Philrs

New in Town
Saying this, I like the ANJ-4 and the B-2 very much! Thanks for posting John and others because I opened my eyes to options I did not even know existed.

This will become (another) expensive hobby!

Windsock

A-List Customer
aswatland said:
I think you did. Was this the bargain one on ebay?
I think it was. That's the one I spotted just after my post and was sold by the time I refreshed my screen.

If it is you who bought it Phil, I suspect the 46 will be spot on for you as i'm 6'2" plus and I have tried and sold an ELC sz48 as it was nothing like the fit of my originals. Too much excess material. I'm sure the 46 is what I would also need.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Philrs said:
Seriously, I am 6 3" and bought an Eastman Irvin 1940 size 46. I hope that I made the right choice!

I have an ELC 1940 Pattern as well and love it. I think you'll be a very happy man!

Andrew,

Fantastic photos, those '69 Mk.II Bs are brilliant and the perfect jacket to accompany her ;)

And you make an excellent point, English sports car = English flying jacket.

Windsock

A-List Customer
Smithy said:
Andrew,

Fantastic photos, those '69 Mk.II Bs are brilliant and the perfect jacket to accompany her ;)

And you make an excellent point, English sports car = English flying jacket.
hehe, I thought you'd appreciate them TS.

When you find time to visit you can take her for a test drive (the car that is as you've already done that with Jacket 04) :)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Windsock said:
hehe, I thought you'd appreciate them TS.

When you find time to visit you can take her for a test drive (the car that is as you've already done that with Jacket 04) :)

You're on!

So she's all fixed and you're got her back again?

Windsock

A-List Customer
Smithy said:
You're on!

So she's all fixed and you're got her back again?

1. No 2. Yes!

Tim all the shiny bits are back where they belong but as it sat unloved for 4 months whislt they got all those goodies together I found I had no brakes and no battery! That's all fine now plus I just won a new set of wheels in great nic last week on Ebay so it's slowly improving. Just the seats and sills to go.

Sounds like a lot but not bad a 42 year old lady and she really hasn't complained in the 13 years i've had her. It's been perfect weather here the last two months for early evening topless Irvin driving on the coast road home from work.

Now that we've hijacked your thread Phil, sorry!! However, you will not regret the ELC and perhaps this will become the thread for Irvins and topless Brit steel driving. Post shots when you get it.

Philrs

New in Town
Windsock said:
Now that we've hijacked your thread Phil, sorry!! However, you will not regret the ELC and perhaps this will become the thread for Irvins and topless Brit steel driving. Post shots when you get it.

No worries. Yes, I will post shots when I get it.

Philrs

New in Town
John Lever said:
Isn't the Morgan a new design and not one of the older ones ?

Yes, it is their 2000+ design. A modern classic car. A rare one as well, with only about 700 built. 330bhp, 1.1 ton, all aluminium chassis, bespoke interior and a race-car derived suspension! An absolute joy to drive!

John Lever

One Too Many
Philrs said:
Yes, it is their 2000+ design. A modern classic car. A rare one as well, with only about 700 built. 330bhp, 1.1 ton, all aluminium chassis, bespoke interior and a race-car derived suspension! An absolute joy to drive!
Nice car.
Still think it was worth pushing the boat out for a £150k car....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails