Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

D1 or Irvin

Philrs

New in Town
Dear all,

I am considering buying a warm jacket for a specific function: driving an open top car (including some nice sunny days in the Winter). I like the looks of the Irvin (aeroleather or Eastman) but am concerned that it might be too bulky (I am 6 3" and the car is a tight Morgan Aero 8 S1). I came across the D1 and like its appearance and it is also less bulky.

I am aware that there are many experts here and so would appreciate your views on this simple question: For the function referred to above, should I buy an Irvin, or a D1 (and if the latter, which one. I am aware of the aeroleather jacket, so views on this or others very much welcome).

Thanks a lot for any input you might have.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Think about it this way:
The Irvin was made for pilots - working in tight cockpits.
The D1 was made for groundcrews walking around on the ground.

Now which do you really, really want?
;)

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would recommend either an Eastman Irvin or B-6. The B-6 is made of thinner sheepskin than the Irvin and was used by USAAF fighter pilots and bomber crew. The Irvin will be more bulky and they tended to worn in the air by bomber crew and on the ground (some of the wartime winters were especially cold!) by fighter pilots as the cockpit of a Spitfire or Hurricane were cramped.

Philrs

New in Town
Spitfire said:
Think about it this way:
The Irvin was made for pilots - working in tight cockpits.
The D1 was made for groundcrews walking around on the ground.

Now which do you really, really want?
;)

Spitfire: Seeing the picture of you in Rome with the Irvin only enhanced my desire to buy one! But really, getting in and out of the Aero 8 S1 might be more difficult than the equivalent task in a Spitfire given that I am 6 3" (I am serious, it is *really* cramped in there). Same when I drive, I have about 3-4 inches between my hand on the steering and the door panel.

Philrs

New in Town
aswatland said:
I would recommend either an Eastman Irvin or B-6. The B-6 is made of thinner sheepskin than the Irvin and was used by USAAF fighter pilots and bomber crew. The Irvin will be more bulky and they tended to worn in the air by bomber crew and on the ground (some of the wartime winters were especially cold!) by fighter pilots as the cockpit of a Spitfire or Hurricane were cramped.

Andrew: Thanks for your input. The advantage for me to buy an Aero is that I live in Scotland and so could literally drive over there (a pleasant 1.5 hour drive), get it properly fitted, even choose the shearling for the Irvin (maybe a darker brown one, such as your rare Irvin! ;-))

Any objection against an Aero Irvin. I have done my homeworks, read the threads, and it looks as if (please correct me if I am wrong) the later design of the Aero sleeves has improved? As I would have the jacket made to measure and fitted, should I ask them to do something specific for me (e.g. other Zips)? This is how I could enormously gain from the knowledge accumulated here! I could make the jacket quite special!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Trying on an Aero Irvin is a good idea. ELC make the most authentic Irvins, but if you are not bothered about authenticity an Aero Irvin is a good move. You could also check out their other shearling jackets at the same time.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Philrs said:
Morgan Aero 8 S1

Pictures please Phil!

I am a bit of a fan of Moggies, although the wife's dream (and I am along the same lines) is the old school Plus 8.

I am 6' 1'' and used to drive our NB series MX-5 in a fairly bulky flying jacket (it was before I picked up my ELC Irvin) but I could have worn an Irvin in that.

Having been in a Moggie I'd say it's probably more how big you are in the shoulders and girth which will determine wearing an Irvin in a Moggie. If you are a stocky lad, Andrew might have a point.

Cheers and don't shoot the driveway shingle onto the front lawn!

Tim

Philrs

New in Town
Smithy said:
Pictures please Phil!

Tim

Will do if you give me a pointer to pic attachment. Did not see one in the FAQ, but could have been temporary blind...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Philrs said:
Will do if you give me a pointer to pic attachment. Did not see one in the FAQ, but could have been temporary blind...

Should be above the text box thingy, looks like an icon with a mountain in it, sixth from the right.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Philrs said:
Spitfire: Seeing the picture of you in Rome with the Irvin only enhanced my desire to buy one! But really, getting in and out of the Aero 8 S1 might be more difficult than the equivalent task in a Spitfire given that I am 6 3" (I am serious, it is *really* cramped in there). Same when I drive, I have about 3-4 inches between my hand on the steering and the door panel.

Which suddenly reminds me: The Irvin I wore in Rome was from WPG (What Price Glory) - they do not cost as much as ELC or AERO, are in a thinner sheepskin and not at all as bulky. They are pretty close to the originals too and I think Jerry has solved the beginners problems with them. (Zippers that did not work etc) Could be a solution.
I know how it is - being 6 3" myself....but without a Morgan!

I also had a Irvin made up by Aviation Leathercraft some years ago in a thinner sheepskin as well. It is not bulky either.
So just maybe you could talk the guys at Aero into finding some special sheepskins with a slightly thinner fleece.

And yes - when talking about originality: Eastman are the best, no doubt there - but AERO most certainly has improved too. The sleeves are right now. You can have original zippers installed etc.
I would say they are number two on the list.
And they are pretty close to you!

Good luck with the project. Keep us posted!

Edward

Bartender
If you have the option of driving over to Aero, see if they have anything in stock you could try on... For something less bulky to an Irvin or B3, if that's the way you go, I would second Andrew's suggestion of a B6. The B6 repros tend to be only a very little bit more than the D1, but much more jacket for the money, IMO. Same lighter fleece and less bulky shape (the middle way between an A2 and a B3, if you will) as the D1, but that bit more fitted, with side zippers etc than the D1. Also the B6 was the only fleece jacket the USAAF issued ever to have epaulettes... they're a nice detail, IMO. D1 of course, if you find one used, would still be a nice jacket.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
There's always the option of a B3 if you're so inclined. I'm the size of a ball turret gunner and that venue is really cramped. The B3 or the B6 which is a bit thinner is what the BTG's wore all the time. BTW, I fit perfectly inside a ball turret.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
B-6 or D-1. Irvins are too bulky IMVHO. That's assuming you want practicality over swank and pose of course. If you want pose then go Irvin. There's a reason the USAAF went for the B-6 and fabric jackets over the more bulky shearlings for tight fighter cockpits. The RAF didn't have the option of a choice in jackets. It was Irvin or nothing.

Some (but not all) who recommend aircrew jackets tend to be aircrew Walts ;) They would be looking at the Morgan to show off the jacket rather than the other way around lol

Whatever you decide will look fine.

Dave

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Dudleydoright said:
Some (but not all) who recommend aircrew jackets tend to be aircrew Walts ;) They would be looking at the Morgan to show off the jacket rather than the other way around lol

Dave

lol lol lol

Svank and pose is everything! Philrs is driving a Morgan! Not an Opel!;) ;)

Papa M

A-List Customer
How about going non-leather with a B-10. It gives warmth, flexibility, and a great look.

I think Aero have still got some at a bargain price.j

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
If suggesting a B-10 it must be an Eastman, Aero's are way off the mark IMO. To throw in my tuppence worth, I also would go for a B-6, style and practicality.

Windward

Practically Family
Philrs said:
Dear all, I am considering buying a warm jacket for a specific function: driving an open top car (including some nice sunny days in the Winter).

What about (customized) Front Quarter Horsehide jacket with shearling lining and mouton fur collar - e.g. vintage brown with off-white 1/2 inch shearling?
Just an idea . . . .alternative would also go with a B6 in an open car - will be such a great fun for you and the jacket will be break in easily!!!

Papa M

A-List Customer
havocpaul said:
If suggesting a B-10 it must be an Eastman, Aero's are way off the mark IMO.

I've not seen the Aero. Your comment perhaps explains why they are selling them off cheap.

My B-10 is a Buzz Rickson and it is one of my absolute favourite jackets.

Philrs

New in Town
Thank you all for your suggestions! As I will definitely go to Aero because they are so close, they already offered to show me examples of an Irvin, D1, and I could also ask for B1 and B6, and then buy them all! Ah!

:eek:fftopic:

Meanwhile, as requested here are two pictures of the car that I bought to nicely complement the jacket.

IMG_6298.jpg

Tmp00009.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That's a corker Phil! Bet you have great fun "popping down to the shops" in her.

Thanks for the pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo