Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dance Lessons

benstephens

Practically Family
I am trying to learn to dance. At the moment, apart from a little instruction from people I know I have been learning on my own. The dances I am trying to master are easy being the Social Foxtrot, Waltz, Quickstep and Polka.

I was wondering, is it worth going to lessons, Or could I end up getting terribly confused?, just wondered if those that can dance had any tips?

Kindest regards

Ben

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I can remember back in 6th Form at school when you went to your first school ball, we were sent off to dancing school to learn pretty much those steps. It definitely helped me, I've forgotten one or two but can still waltz, foxtrot when I have to and that's 18 years after learning.

My opinion is lessons are worth it, apart from that there's the social aspect of learning to dance with others.

Nashoba

One Too Many
I absolutely think it's worth it! I convinced my husband we should take a class back in college. And While I wasn't a big fan of the format (I wanted to learn with my husband and half the time I wasn't allowed to dance with him because they kept forcing us to change partners) I think it helped my husbad's coordination a bit. He's a terribly clumsy dancer always has been, which breaks my heart because I love to dance. The class helped but now he can't remember any of the steps anymore.....

Edward

Bartender
Nashoba said:
(I wanted to learn with my husband and half the time I wasn't allowed to dance with him because they kept forcing us to change partners)

Lessons are definitely the best way to learn IMO, but I agree with you on this.... I took lindy hop classes some time back, after being bullied into it by a now long ex-girlfriend; I wish now I'd been able to take more of it in, but I am cripplingly shy at times, and being forced to dance with strangers really killed me being able to take it in. I'd love to learn how to swing and jive properly - I might even actually dance when I go out instead of clinging to the wall and declining the (very rare) offer I do get once in a while if i knew what I was doing. Not being able to go to a class with a friend and learn with somebody I nknow is a killer for me, though. Don't really see the advantage in learning with stranger anyhow - I mean, I'd rather die than approach a stranger to dance in a club. (Small wonder I'm single, eh? :p )

benstephens

Practically Family
I am the same, when I tried to learn to lindy they kept moving me around, and I could not learn at all.

However, taking peoples advice here, I have booked some private lessons, and then in September I am going to start some social lessons on a weekly basis, by then hopefully I will be more confident as I know the basics so should find it easier.

Ben

benstephens

Practically Family
I am looking forward to it. I go to a lot of dances, and can just about social foxtrot, but tend to get nervous with people I do not know.

Thankyou all for the advice, it is very helpfull.

Ben

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Lessons can be a painful wringer at times, but it's one of those hard things you're glad you did in the end. Even if you pick up just one technique or have one encouraging person keep you going, it's worth it. I've been dancing for around 5 years now and I'm still intimidated by lessons, but I end up, at the end, glad I did it. Nothing beats having your muscles be TRAINED to learn so that you yourself stop thinking about it and botching it. (guilty here of that DAILY). Keep on! We need more leads, wherever they may be! :eusa_clap

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Ben, I stongly suggest taking lessons. There are weight shifts, leading techniques, and dozens of little details that will improve your dancing, but you won't learn them just from watching.

I also suggest dancing with a variety of people. Why? Leading and following is a language. When you are learning a language, it's necessary to converse with people fluent in that language. First, it's hard to learn if both you and your partner don't know what you're doing. I've watched people who dance only with their spouse (or whoever), and they don't seem to progress very far. Second, you don't really learn how to lead or follow without other partners; the follow just learns how to anticipate what her partner is going to do. Third, if you do dance with some great partners on a fairly regular basis, you'll have some awesome dances! Have you ever had the thrill of a victory that required all of your physical and creative energies? That's what it feels like. (I remember individual dances, some from years ago, like that.) You won't get it with a so-so parter--and you yourself need some skill to pull it off. Finally, once you're pretty good, you can dance with newbies and give them some fun times and help them learn.

Check out my thread called "Learning to Dance." It's in the Golden Era section; probably on page 2 by now. It's geared toward swing dancing, but most of the suggestions should apply to any kind of dance.

Good luck.

Zig2k143

Practically Family
I agree me and my lovely are taking lessions and they are a blast and I really didn't think I'd be able to dance....

If your a single male go anyway the classes usual need more men then women. You end up dancing with everyone.

My lovely gives me a kiss whenever she gets back to me. I just hope she doesn't kiss the rest of them men. ;)

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
benstephens said:
I am the same, when I tried to learn to lindy they kept moving me around, and I could not learn at all.

However, taking peoples advice here, I have booked some private lessons, and then in September I am going to start some social lessons on a weekly basis, by then hopefully I will be more confident as I know the basics so should find it easier.

Ben

While I can understand why people might be shy and want to stay with one person. But way too many people learn to dance with only one other or only a group of people and end up very unable to lead and follow. they just rely on knowing the same steps and how to do them together. It is not at all the same as really leading or following. That is the highest and best part of dancing.

Nashoba

One Too Many
I was really frustrated because my husband needed to learn how to lead more strongly and that didn't happen. I have the tendency to lead when I don't have a strong partner which frustrates him. I've gotten so used to leading that my grandpa actually scolded me when I was dancing with him last weekend. Told me that he was the man and he would do the leading, thank you very much! lol

Edward said:
Lessons are definitely the best way to learn IMO, but I agree with you on this.... I took lindy hop classes some time back, after being bullied into it by a now long ex-girlfriend; I wish now I'd been able to take more of it in, but I am cripplingly shy at times, and being forced to dance with strangers really killed me being able to take it in. I'd love to learn how to swing and jive properly - I might even actually dance when I go out instead of clinging to the wall and declining the (very rare) offer I do get once in a while if i knew what I was doing. Not being able to go to a class with a friend and learn with somebody I nknow is a killer for me, though. Don't really see the advantage in learning with stranger anyhow - I mean, I'd rather die than approach a stranger to dance in a club. (Small wonder I'm single, eh? :p )

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The approach I take in class is to not do anything until my partner leads it, even if I know what I'm supposed to do as the follow.

One more reason for following instead of back-leading or just knowing the motions: Suppose your partner is in the middle of a move and sees that you're about to run into someone. He needs to lead you out of the way, and you need to follow.

Or he may have a new move he wants to try out!

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
I am getting ready to retake a beginning ballroom dance class.
I have been running for 12 yrs or so and I tend to greatly over stride!
Told to move left foot forward 1 foot and I do 3feet!.

So back to the beginning. Will say that I do lke the classes and did in theory learn alot. LOl! Just need to stop running over my partner.

K

killertomata

I'm glad someone posted about dancing. I've been wanting to take dance class (swing) for years and years but I'm ridiculously shy, and now that I have a boyfriend into the same music and such, he can't dance. He's a disabled vet and can barely walk much of the time.

But I'm happy to read about other people's experiences with dancing.

Anyone else here ridiculously shy but manage to take a class with total strangers anyway?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
killertomata said:
I'm glad someone posted about dancing. I've been wanting to take dance class (swing) for years and years but I'm ridiculously shy, and now that I have a boyfriend into the same music and such, he can't dance. He's a disabled vet and can barely walk much of the time.

But I'm happy to read about other people's experiences with dancing.

Anyone else here ridiculously shy but manage to take a class with total strangers anyway?

(Raises hand.) To be fair, though, my problem was never dancing with strangers. Even blues and Argentine tango (dances where you are connected from your shoulder to your thigh) are just dances to me, nothing more. But I do get nervous dancing with or in front of people who are way better than I am (my teachers, for example).

Since I don't have this particular hangup, I have a question for those who do: what do you imagine would happen if you danced with strangers? Are you afraid of what they would think of you, or a mistake you might make? Having been to dozens of classes, hundreds of dances, and danced with hundreds of partners, I can tell you with pretty good accuracy, I think, the likelihood of your fears being realized.

Nashoba

One Too Many
Paisley said:
The approach I take in class is to not do anything until my partner leads it, even if I know what I'm supposed to do as the follow.

One more reason for following instead of back-leading or just knowing the motions: Suppose your partner is in the middle of a move and sees that you're about to run into someone. He needs to lead you out of the way, and you need to follow.

Or he may have a new move he wants to try out!

I do try...I'm just not very good at following. Call it a bit of a personality flaw....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo