Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dapper in '34

rjbaal

New in Town
Here's a pic I came across when reviewing old files on my Computer.
Gramps.jpg

Was the contrast look (ie matching vest and jacket with contrasting trousers) a common style in '34?

Ps the pic is of my granddad!

anon`

One Too Many
I've seen a fair number of fashion plates, and somewhat fewer photos or movie wardrobes where all three pieces are "odd" (that is to say, unmatched). I see nothing wrong or out of place with this particular getup (assuming it is odd trousers paired with a matching waistcoat and jacket), but it's equally possible that the waistcoat and jacket are similar enough to look the same on B&W film.

Either way, I'd wager that this particular look was on the uncommon side of things based on how many examples of it I've seen, but I certainly think it's a good look!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's a casual look!!!

Not for business or social events. But a great way to use the un-worn-out parts of a suit, and typical of at-home wear.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
very slick. I went through London with vest and jacket matching though with odd trousers... unfortunately I think those in the financial district thought I was odd... them with their matching three piece suits and all. Anywho... it looks fine.

flat-top

I have an amazing three piece suit, but the pants do not fit. The jacket and vest are perfect. It's been sitting in my closet for years unworn.
This picture gives me some inspiration to try something new (or old) with it!
Thanks!

Miss 1929 said:
Not for business or social events.

I have never heard of such an injunction. This is the perfect outfit for a spring/summer social gathering - probably one that was occurring outdoors of an afternoon. (As Tomasso so vividly illustrates. Always a chap to be counted upon to back one up, is Tomasso.)

In fact, the odd combination was the standard promenading outfit for the younger to middle aged gent of the 1930s, from what i can tell from period magazines. Can't get much more social than the promenading scene.

bk

Miss 1929

well, I can be wrong

Except for the summertime white slacks with navy blazer look, as seen on the President, I have always seen it said in how-to-dress articles and dressing sections of etiquette books, that for anything beyond casual, a gentleman wears a suit. Contrasting separates are not a suit.
I mean social occasions as in weddings, dinners, luncheons etc., not hanging out at the bar or going to the races etc., as those are casual and sports! affairs.
But I am very old-fashioned!

Boulevardier

New in Town
Thanks for the very dapper postings. I wore white trousers with matching vest and jacket to a garden party on the day of the Preakness (May 18, I think) and got rave reviews from the ladies present.
White bucks work well but so do spectator shoes and consider adding a summer hat.
This was big in the Thirties. Maybe Fedora Lounge can bring it back!

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for sharing the photo

His look not only something that was done in the day but he pulls it off magnificently.
The fit of the clothes and his casual elegance are admirable.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

JimInSoCalif

One of the Regulars
rjbaal said:
Here's a pic I came across when reviewing old files on my Computer.
Gramps.jpg

Was the contrast look (ie matching vest and jacket with contrasting trousers) a common style in '34?

Ps the pic is of my granddad!

I don't know because that was the year I was born, but your granddad looks very dapper to me. Thanks for posting the photo.

Cheers, Jim.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I see you're in NY, rj, and am guessing your gf was from here too. You couldn't get away with looking this elegant and prosperous just anyplace - not even in 1934. He was what used to be called a sharpie!

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I never particularly liked this look with the matching vest and jacket but odd pants. To me, it seems like the pants wore out and the wearer just threw on the first contrasting pants he could find with it. I much prefer a matching vest and pants paired with an odd jacket, as a style. There's more balance from top to bottom that way, IMHO. Just as it works to wear a an odd vest with a suit.
With mismatched jacket and pants, they are at least in balance. This look just becomes too top heavy to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana