Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dark felt after sanding...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I need help here.: I lightly sanded a moth nibble from a hat.
The hole is gone but the felt on that area turned slightly darker (gray) than the rest of the hat. I managed, by sanding the felt "against the grain" to level the color but not entirely. Is there anything else that I can do to correct this issue? My wife says it is barely even noticealble. But my OCD says otherwise.
Many thanks!

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
It sounds like the surface felt might have lightened due to sun bleaching and/or oxidation. The remedy , therefore would be to sand the rest of the hat. :)

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I'll post pictures tonight.
J.T the hat is relatively new (not vintage)
so I'm wondering if the elements are to be blamed.
I'll try sanding the rest and see what happens. I'm just afraid of making things worse...

munchausen

One of the Regulars
Wear it out and expose the area that was sanded? Although it may weather at a similar rate to the rest of the hat leaving you with the same problem... Or is it possible to collect and glue felt from another section of the hat onto the spot?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
That's a strange one, zet'. Not sure how I'd handle it. Hard to say without seeing it in person as photos would probably not show what you're dealing with. I think I'd try a good brushing, then spray/mist the hat with water all over until fairly wet, then dab whole hat with towel and allow to dry. Then, brush again and see.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano said:
It's a Stetson temple. Not brand new but aside from this issue is mint

Eeeeeeee..... That does make the cheese a little more binding. I have read many posts by others who have had zero trouble with Temples getting wet, in fact some use them as rain hats. I, however, experienced a lot of brim distortion/waviness after my Temple got slightly damp in a light shower. My Temple was bought in '08, I think. I straightened it out and I keep it. I would avoid getting mine wet again though, and I wouldn't buy another one.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I did some research:

"Andykev
03-24-2004, 11:50 AM
The moth bites I have (I like to call them divots, like in golf) seem to do the same thing. I don't sand them. I once asked a hatter how to fix them. He says (no names please..) you use a pin to fluff up the felt in the bottom of the "divot" by picking it up. Then you can "shave" some felt "fuzz" from inside the crown , very gentle scrapings..you'll be amazed at the amount of a fur ball you get. Then put a bit of clear Elmers glue...tiny bit...into the divot and then poke in the fur ball. You can rub it smoothe when dry. I tried this, and it sorta helped, but I was not too agressive. Fedora, if you have "working practice hats" with moth damage..try it. It may work.

Sanding the hole only, IMHO, only weakens the felt and spreads the damage.

I have no idea why the hat hole turns dark. Maybe due to the depth of penetration of the dye when the hat was felted???"

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/archive/index.php/t-653.html

Try not to be too upset. The situation is fixable...;)

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Different stages of pouncing ( sanding) produce different color variations. That's one way to tell where you are on the finish of a new hat. Different grits also make the felt different shades so my advice privately to Aureliano was to go to a finer grit and only sand in the grain direction. That tends to help but not always.
Carlisle, the method Andy quotes works but takes a lot of practice & patience. It's REALLY easy to screw it up. I had to stop doing it because of the time factor plus it doesn't always give a perfect result. On your own hats it's fine, but when I do a hat for someone the expectations are different.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, Art. I just got your email. I'll try that and post results.
Thanks CB too. Btw, the moth hole is gone. It wasn't deep. The change in color was the only issue. This thing is making me itchy.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Art Fawcett said:
... only sand in the grain direction ...

Does this mean that any sanding of a felt hat should be done only in that direction? That makes sense. I've never had occasion to sand a hat myself. I just want to make sure I'm reading this right in case I ever do.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Results...

So, I tried what Art suggested. I lightly sanded the spot where the moth nibble was, I did it in the grain direction and for about 15-20 minutes. Sanding, brushing, sanding brushing. It worked! the color is almost (there's only a minuscule spot that only my eyes can spot. Obsessions...oh my word!)
I hope this experience of mine helps others too. A big thanks to all of you guys that contributed with your tips and opinions and specially to Art who took the time to write me back.:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ