Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating for Fedora Loungers?

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
My fella isn't particularly retro minded, but he doesn't dislike it either. We met in college, and he enjoys participating periodically in vintage events.

If you are looking for ideas as to where to meet a vintage sweetie, here are some ideas:
  • Re-enacting events/groups- even ones from different time periods. A number of people here are also into Ren Faire, Dicken's Fair, and other similar groups.
  • Vintage Themed Dances, Clubs, Events
  • Historical groups and societies.
  • Local vintage stores if you have them. Both the workers and the clientele may be good prospects.
  • If you're into the 50's look, rockabilly events, and car shows may be an option.

And of course there are always online dating sites. My Dad is quite enamored with eHarmony. :eek:

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Drappa said:
I met my husband at work, and he isn't into vintage at all, but is in the military so wears a uniform every day - does that count?;)
I did, however, once many years ago, meet a guy who was dressed similarly to me at a museum I liked to go to. He even gave me his number and I was so excited, until I got home and realised I had lost the piece of paper it was written on. So my tip would be exhibitions and galleries about the relevant subject matter.

Dressed similar to you? I am picturing a guy in vintage drag. probably not what you meant.

If one is into rockabilly, then there is a large dating site. Not sure the name. Not my scene, but nothing against it. it seems to have shifted pretty far away from vintage for most participants, at least guys. Now it is tatoos jeans and wife beaters or black t shirts.

I think Facebook can be a way of meeting people if you look for people listing similar interests. I know you could search like that on my space.

metropd

One Too Many
laotou said:
The best way to date a Fedora Lounger is to cut them in half and count the rings, however, it is messy and somewhat traumatic.
LOL! I think the more cosmopolitan the city is, the better the odds are for most Loungers. Also it helps if you are already in the same environment that will attract like minded people. I think Higher Education is a wonderful way to meet people, and make long term relationships.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
laotou said:
The best way to date a Fedora Lounger is to cut them in half and count the rings, however, it is messy and somewhat traumatic.

lol I love that! lol
But I'm guessing asking to see an ID would be nearly as effective and much, much tidier! ;)

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Looks like rockabillydate.com also includes interest in surf, swing, rockabilly etc. So looks like this would be a great place to look.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Quite a few people find mates at dances, but even in the lindy scene here, there doesn't seem to be a particular interest in vintage anything.

Maybe this should be a negotiable item on one's wish list?

johnnyelvis

New in Town
I notice a lot of girls nowadays have a ton of tattoos too. I hang out in a lot of rockabilly type bars/clubs and this is so common, kind of a bummer IMO what do you think of the tatted up girl thing? I would love to have me a nice vintage girl haha

Puzzicato

One Too Many
laotou said:

LOL

I met my husband through friends. He isn't remotely interested in vintage clothing (or modern clothing. Or anything but the most functional stuff really!) but he shares my interest in understanding traditional techniques for things and he appreciates the value of hobbies. So I will keep him for the moment.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
johnnyelvis said:
I notice a lot of girls nowadays have a ton of tattoos too. I hang out in a lot of rockabilly type bars/clubs and this is so common, kind of a bummer IMO what do you think of the tatted up girl thing? I would love to have me a nice vintage girl haha

Tattoos are a matter of taste. There are those of us in the vintage/retro lifestyle without them. I don't even have my ears pierced.
I'm already taken, but I'm sure there must be more out there like me. :D

Drappa

One Too Many
reetpleat said:
Dressed similar to you? I am picturing a guy in vintage drag. probably not what you meant.

lol Not quite. I was heavily into the 60s-70s then, so we both wore flared jeans and vintage leather jackets/coats, and he did have long hair.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Joie DeVive said:
Tattoos are a matter of taste. There are those of us in the vintage/retro lifestyle without them. I don't even have my ears pierced.
I'm already taken, but I'm sure there must be more out there like me. :D

No problem with those who do have them, but I think they'd conflict with all my projector-lamp burns and soldering-iron scars.

Bustercat

A-List Customer
I'm always wearing at least something vintage, my fiance does sometimes. I think we're more about what we feel looks good than trying to emulate any single era.
I'm getting deeper into it. I can't remember the last time I wore jeans.

We spruce up vintage for every special occasion, usually an early 60's look.
Best part about dressing up like an older generation is it makes it more fun to lose your composure. :p

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
No problem with those who do have them, but I think they'd conflict with all my projector-lamp burns and soldering-iron scars.

Oops!! Maybe what I wrote came out wrong. :eek: I didn't mean that tattoos were a matter of taste as in those who have "taste" don't have 'em.

I meant they are a matter of taste; some like 'em, some don't.
I may admire some of them, but they aren't for me. :D

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
johnnyelvis said:

If I have a needle in me, I am probably giving blood.

W4ASZ

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:

Tattoos or no, the real questions are whether the individuals are familiar with the works of R.F. Burns, and can they explain the mechanism of Armstrong Rotation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ