Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating for Fedora Loungers?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
My big brother knew what he was talking about. Just stay single.

I'm enjoying being single at the moment but there's something to be said for female companionship.

For now it's singlehood for me...

vintage68

Practically Family
Paisley said:
I tried e-harmony some time ago and didn't like it. My experience in a nutshell:

You set your preferences, and then they ignore them. You say you want someone between 35 and 45 in your metro area and they hook you up with a father of three little kids in Manitoba, a bunch of 50-year-olds across the country, a whole bunch of scary-looking IT guys, and a dude with photos of himself in chain mail who says one of the things he can't do without is AA. You can't make up stuff like this.

My big brother knew what he was talking about. Just stay single.

That was my experience as well, except of course I'd get women that were "not so much."

Gotta disagree with you about being single though. Life, like dancing, is best with a partner :)

sixsexsix

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
My preference is to have a partner but live alone. Best of both worlds.

This

I'm not even going to comment on the whole tattoo thing, it has been rehashed a million times - I don't really see the point. Some people like them some don't. Some people like blondes, some like brunettes. Who cares?

johnnyelvis

New in Town
Grant Fan said:

Ok I don't know if you wanted a girls opinion but I am gunna give it. I consider myself a nice vintage girl, and I have one tattoo, and another on the way at the start of August. However the current one is on my upper thigh even when i wear modern shorts (the really short kinds) you can't see it (the new one is going to be in the same spot on the other leg) . So really the only time the public sees them is when I am in a swim suit. Or well if I am like hey look at my pretty leg. But my one tattoo and the one on the way both have very important meanings to me.Perhaps you should ask ladies to explain why they have their art and you might find that it isn't as much of a bummer once you know what it means. My boyfriend was a bit bummed when I got my first one but when I explained to him what the tattoo meant and he really loved it. I don't know I guess it doesn't bother me. It has never really been taboo for men to have tattoos and I find that I think us ladies are enjoying the fact that it is socially acceptable to have them now. But like many have said before me it is a matter of aesthetic preference, I for one find tattoos fascinating, but I also understand why they aren't for some people. Wow sorry that was a lot.

I think it may have came off wrong in my original statement about tattoos...Small ones here and there and hidden isn't that big of a deal, but what bothers me are the full sleeves and neck and chest etc., and I have seen these on beautiful girls before, I think sometimes it takes away from a girls natural beauty...I love the way they look and the artwork I would have a ton if they were not permanent.

Being an old-fashioned guy, I've always hoped to get married, settle down, have a family, a station wagon, a color TV set, a yard, the whole American Dream thing haha. The only ones I've got is the color TV's and the Wagon. I find it tough to date because of being a vintage type guy in style and beliefs.

Seems most women aren't interested in anyone who is even the slightest bit eccentric, or that doesn't fit into one of the 'labels' of what women are looking for these days. If you aren't a 'country boy' or a 'prep' or a 'emo' or something along those lines, they don't want ya.

I also get tired of hearing "you're too nice" what kinda thing is that to say? Shouldn't you be nice and sweet to a woman whom you are trying to woo?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
MissHannah said:
My preference is to have a partner but live alone. Best of both worlds.
I agree. But it's so hard to pull off for any lenght of time. First they get a drawer, then space in a closet and the next thing you know their name is on the mailbox.....:(

waffle

One of the Regulars
eh, I have no aspirations to get married anytime soon, but I'm all for good, healthy relationships and some fun.. maybe i'm still too immature for my age?

considering that age is 27, maybe i should look into growing up some.. eh.

off topic, kinda, but there are some very good looking women in this forum, i must say. ;)

MissHannah

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
I agree. But it's so hard to pull off for any lenght of time. First they get a drawer, then space in a closet and the next thing you know their name is on the mailbox.....:(

It's fine as long as you both feel the same way. I've lived alone for 13 years (apart from a disastrous 2 years when I was forced to share with a friend for financial reasons) and my boyfriend has lived alone for 5 so we're both very independent. We've been together for 3 years but living in different cities, he is moving up here to London in a couple of weeks and a lot of people look at me a little strange when they hear he won't be moving in with me. But we know what works for us. I'm 37 and he's 40 and he's been married before - we don't have any illusions about our needs. In an ideal world I imagine us as a white haired old couple who live a couple of streets apart and still go on dates :) Living apart might keep the romance alive a little longer. I think you just have to work out what makes the relationship work regardless of convention.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
MissHannah said:
It's fine as long as you both feel the same way. I've lived alone for 13 years (apart from a disastrous 2 years when I was forced to share with a friend for financial reasons) and my boyfriend has lived alone for 5 so we're both very independent. We've been together for 3 years but living in different cities, he is moving up here to London in a couple of weeks and a lot of people look at me a little strange when they hear he won't be moving in with me. But we know what works for us. I'm 37 and he's 40 and he's been married before - we don't have any illusions about our needs. In an ideal world I imagine us as a white haired old couple who live a couple of streets apart and still go on dates :) Living apart might keep the romance alive a little longer. I think you just have to work out what makes the relationship work regardless of convention.

"Maybe you could have your own apartments in "Princess Court" opposite Harrods!"

princes-court.jpg

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
I met my first wife through a blind date. When we got married, the trouble started from day one. Yes I made a huge booboo. I was too much in a hurry. I was 26 and in love. :eusa_doh: My second attempt was at age 52. I met my second wife through Matchmaker International. This one is definitely for keeps. I was one of the lucky ones. Believe me, they gave me my share of ding a lings but that was primarily to educate me in what was out there and what was not.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I use OkCupid.com to get my dates. It works for me. I don't go out looking specifically for girls in old fashioned outfits, but I have seen a fair share of girls wearing fedoras there. As always, your mileage may vary. I'm dating someone I met on it now. See how that goes. Just gotta be insane. By insane, I mean, you'll have to do the same thing over and over again, expecting different results every time, and somehow remain optimistic while doing so.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Puzzicato said:
I agree with this!

I also like my uncle's saying that the key to a happy marriage is apathy and low expectations ;) he's been married 25 years!

That's pretty much been the key to my long term relationship ;) !

Grant Fan

Practically Family
johnnyelvis said:
I think it may have came off wrong in my original statement about tattoos...Small ones here and there and hidden isn't that big of a deal, but what bothers me are the full sleeves and neck and chest etc., and I have seen these on beautiful girls before, I think sometimes it takes away from a girls natural beauty...I love the way they look and the artwork I would have a ton if they were not permanent.

Ahh I understand, and can definitely see how that would be distracting.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Puzzicato said:
I like the way Helena Bonham-Carter and Tim Burton have done it - adjoining houses!

I think that is pretty smart. But for me it would just be turning a room into my closest then I would be the happiest girl ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk