Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating Vintage Stetsons by Price

duggap

Banned
DOUGLAS said:
Not only scary but embarrassing that they don't know or care about their own history. A very lax way of running a company who has thousands of customers
I agree with you Douglas, but the history started getting lost the very first time the rights to the Stetson name were sold.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
1955 Boss of the Plains...

Here's a 1955 ad that gives prices for a 3 1/2" brim Boss of the Plains in various qualities of felt. I thought this ad might also be of more general interest, since the hierarchy of Stetson western felts is a topic of discussion here on the Lounge from time to time.

1955BossofthePlains.jpg

Prices.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
My "Standard Quality" Stetson is such a high level hat, I suspect that the phrase did not mean "basic quality" but rather "the standard by which others will be measured" (sort of like "world class" today). In the above posts we have seen "Standard Quality," "No. 1 Quality," and "Extra Quality." Does anyone know, for sure, if any two or more of these were marketed at the same time, or if they were name changes, all used for the same grade hat, but at different times?

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I may be completely incorrect but it seems to me the quality ranges in the advert that JtL has posted were originally for Open Roads and other western types of styles. These are the types I mostly see with those grades. The Royal and Royal Deluxe along with Standard and Imperial were for dress hats and fedoras.

I do have a few 3X fedoras but they may be a later vintage.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Royal DeLuxe Stetson

I only own one hat that was sold at the Stetson retail store. It was sold april 18 1952 for a price of $12.50. It is called a Belmont. I do not own a camera, but hope this helps.

I thought we'd decided on this long ago. Standard and Extra (along with "Select Quality" which no-one seems to have mentioned yet) preceded the Royal/Imperial designations.

This from the late 1920s or early 1930s, and both precede the logos shown above (no liners in these ones):

StetBlack3.jpg

This from the same era:

BlackStetson5.jpg

BlackStetson8.jpg

bk

DOUGLAS said:
I may be completely incorrect but it seems to me the quality ranges in the advert that JtL has posted were originally for Open Roads and other western types of styles. These are the types I mostly see with those grades. The Royal and Royal Deluxe along with Standard and Imperial were for dress hats and fedoras.

This is what i've always understood.

bk

Viper Man

Banned
40s - 50s Royal Stetson

Got this one in auction recently for a steal. The seller claimed it was black and it was sort of... After I cleaned the two inches of dust off of it with a lint brush and magic sponge, it was actually a deep, dark brown. 2 1/4 inch brim and ribbon. The edge is bound and the felt seems more substantial and impressive than my Stetson 15 3 X which I believe to be from the 50s. This hat has an original price tag of $10 leading me to believe that is older. Also, it doesn't appear to have had the plastic in the crown of the liner like my 15 does (for comparison, you can see that hat in the 3 X Mess Hall thread). Although they seem to be from different decades, both hats have bows in back.

303713598.jpg

303713594.jpg

303713592.jpg

303713601.jpg

303713600.jpg

303713813.jpg

303713832.jpg

303713823.jpg

303713819.jpg

303713817.jpg

Sorry about the image quality, I had to use my web cam for these.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, that is a nice hat Viper Man. If you ever feel the need to let it go remember me.;)

The Select Quality of BKs is also quite a looker.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Sweatband logo off an early '30s Stetson. Notice the depth of the embossing, as well as the detail, and the size of the logo itself.
IMG_3554.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Here's another early '30s Stetson sweatband. Same deep, detailed stamp, even in the very thin leather.
The John B Stetson lettering is interesting in that it differs from the previous one, however. It is all capitals, with the tops of the letters lining up, with the bottom of the J hanging down.

IMG_4765.jpg
IMG_4768.jpg

Viper Man

Banned
DOUGLAS said:
Wow, that is a nice hat Viper Man. If you ever feel the need to let it go remember me.;)

The Select Quality of BKs is also quite a looker.

I agree. Thanks, Douglas. You've got a harem of beautiful hats yourself.

I am fascinated by the evolution of these hats. It is so interesting to see the variety of styles and the changes that these hats underwent over the years.
I think I am going to look for a copy of that Stetson book at my library. lol

Wow! Those 30s sweats above look like belts.

Viper Man

Banned
Thanks, Justdog. Hmmmm, Stetson 20 Silverbelly Open Road? Sweet hat! I have never seen a green box like that, very nice. Do you have any better shots of the sweatband? Typically, the brown sweat indicates an older vintage. Also, did you check behind the sweat for details (original price, re-order, etc.)? Sometime they list the manufacture date there. I would guess mid 40s-early 50s but as stated elsewhere, it's not a science.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman, Thanks for the pics of embossed sweatbands. I have a "Standard Quality" like your first example. I didn't realize it might be that old! :)

Justdog

Practically Family
Sovereighn 20 Silver Belly

Hi:

20 dollars on a paper sticker.

Sold at The Palace Clothing Co. Topeka, Kansas

This store was a dept store that went out in the 70s.

Thats as far as I can date so far.

I asked a few people at Biltmore as well.

Waiting to here from them.

There are a few people there that go back a ways when they made Stetson as well as Biltmores

Thanks

mingoslim

Practically Family
I have the same box . . .

Justdog said:
Real nice hat Viper fits and looks real sweet!

Need help dating this if possible

Any other ifo would be great, age approx date.

Thanks

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d138/justdog/Hats/38fc_12.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d138/justdog/Hats/08e2_12.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d138/justdog/Hats/2978_3.jpg

Actually I have two . . . Is your box "belt" plastic or leather. I beleive that the "leather" band is from the 50s, the plastic fromt he 60s.

As for dating the hat, the inside looks nothing like any of my (five) ORs. I have two twenties, but not with that type of liner. Let us know what you find out . . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy