Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating Vintage Stetsons by Price

Justdog

Practically Family
Stetson box strap

Hi: The Red Box is leather and the Green box is Fabric.
270286 in the sovereign band s2a61 25 dollars in the stetson 25
20 has no wind button but has wind string 25 has wind button but no wind string.

Justdog

Practically Family
Have a sovereign but do not see it listed here. 20 dollars Serial number posted here as well as the fabric strapped green box? Great post. The 25 I have is 25 dollars on an inside sticker.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
1950zt8.jpg

Did anyone notice that the 3X OR was higher priced than a Strat.
Was a Start a lesser "X" factor?...or what?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
C.J. -- Thanks for posting that ad! The Strat for $10 was a Royal Stetson quality. The next level up would have been a Royal Deluxe for $12.50. The next level up from that would have been a 3X for $15.

Cheers,
JtL

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
This logo is in the panama I just got.
IMG_4666.jpg

Compare it to this early '30s one from another stetson I have. A simplified version of this was in hats for a long time
IMG_3562.jpg

Very different- anyone else ever seen this first logo?

XPLSV

One of the Regulars
I've got the typical second logo imprinted on most of my hats, although I noticed that in my 1949 Sovereign, rather than a hat shop logo on the opposite side, I have the Chestnut Street address listed...did they do direct sales out of a company store??? Or would the hat just be missing a local hattery imprint if they were not a big enough seller?

carter

I'll Lock Up

This is actually a question/suggestion for MK and the Bartenders. Can this thread be placed as a Sticky in the Hats Forum. There is a lot of good information here that is updated by JTL as an ongoing project. Thanks, Carter

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Open Road

1937 -- $6 ("Air-Light" model)
1950 -- $10* (3X Beaver)
1951 -- $12.50 to $100

Cheers,
Jimmy

Old news, I know, but I just picked up what must be a 1950 catalog, showing Open Road prices from $10 (Royal) to $50 (7X). I'll post a better pic of the Stetson page when received, but the seller confirmed the above prices.

!BcZOiu!!mk~$(KGrHqMH-EMEquj!V8QNBK0Vczn)1g~~_3.JPG

Justdog

Practically Family
RD

That is enlightening. Have a few RD.s. Most of them 12.95. One marked down to 6.95. Quite a versatile line.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
I went ahead and deleted all the new date info I'd posted in this thread - I'll continue to gather such information, and if anyone's interested, PM me and I'll gladly share.

fedoracentric

Banned
This may be of interest on the price front. Both of these rate cards are from 1922 and are what retailers paid...

StetsonHatsPriceList.jpg
LangerbergHatsPriceList.jpg

The interesting thing to me is that Stetson made a hat called the "Chamois" but didn't put the name Stetson on it. Anyone know anything about this deal?

Very nice reference... thanks for posting. No.1 quality, nutria and real nutria (interesting that clear nutria is not shown) appear on occasion. I have yet to see a high quality beaver hat from that era. Perhaps the price explains the reason why.

fedoracentric

Banned
Yeah, with a price per dozen of $288 for a 7X beaver Stetson in 1922, that breaks down to a bare cost of 24 dollars a piece and that doesn't include profit for the seller! That was a ton of cash when the average hat was selling for a few bucks each.

No wonder we hardly ever see any 4X, 5X, and 7X Stetson hats from the early days. Comparatively few were sold in the first place so we have far fewer chances to find them still in existence.

I have a Royal Deluxe that still has the tear off price tag around the size. It is printed with $12.95. I am thinking this hat dates from the late 1950s? It is the one in my avitar, my first vintage. Kind of my collection nexus hat...

As a bump to this old interesting thread and to ask a question.....I recently purchased a early Premier Quality Derby with a logo that was used app. 1900-1915 when they changed. I will be photographing and posting pictures soon.....Now ALL the tags are present plus a couple I am not familiar with along with a Price tag behind the sweat.....it states 29.00......now would that really have been the price for even a premier Stetson back then? Seems high to me....perhaps late resale??? Though that seems unlikely for a used hat too.....tag has age to it like the others.....
M
1900 Stetson Medalion Premier.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
As a bump to this old interesting thread and to ask a question.....I recently purchased a early Premier Quality Derby with a logo that was used app. 1900-1915 when they changed. I will be photographing and posting pictures soon.....Now ALL the tags are present plus a couple I am not familiar with along with a Price tag behind the sweat.....it states 29.00......now would that really have been the price for even a premier Stetson back then? Seems high to me....perhaps late resale??? Though that seems unlikely for a used hat too.....tag has age to it like the others.....
M
View attachment 90468
that could be per dozen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy