Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STETSON Royal Deluxe Fedora Western Neutral Beige 1950 size 7 3/8 W/Box

never said it was worth $500 but I don't understand the attacks on the OP & comparisons to Timothy's pricing. Timothiescloset does what he does & most of us on FL pay little attention.

I didn't get that either. A hats worth is like anything else, and I'm repeating myself; the value is determined by what those who are interested in a purchase are willing to pay. Not by those who throw out arbitrary statements about value and shipping costs and other sellers when they don't have a dog in the hunt. I've seen a 6 7/8 Whippet sell for nearly $500 and the buyer, a member here, was raked over the coals for spending so much. All it takes is for two to want it. The OP didn't say what research he did only that from what he could find, $500 seemed reasonable. I guess this is what he gets for asking for feedback.

Based on the OP’s other items for sale on eBay I would think the seller is just that. An eBay seller who was looking for information to help sell the hat for the most possible - which is fine. Or an eBay seller wanting to get more potential buyers to look at the hat - which is also fine. But most likely not a hat person. I think the OP received honest answers and opinions to the questions asked.

Agreed. I see no disrespect given to OP. He got a fair assessment of his hat.

I didn't get that either. A hats worth is like anything else, and I'm repeating myself; the value is determined by what those who are interested in a purchase are willing to pay. Not by those who throw out arbitrary statements about value and shipping costs and other sellers when they don't have a dog in the hunt. I've seen a 6 7/8 Whippet sell for nearly $500 and the buyer, a member here, was raked over the coals for spending so much. All it takes is for two to want it. The OP didn't say what research he did only that from what he could find, $500 seemed reasonable. I guess this is what he gets for asking for feedback.
I've probably paid $30 - $40 shipping a time or two to have a nice vintage hat in it's original box double boxed for protection from being taped up & further box damage.

Agreed. I see no disrespect given to OP. He got a fair assessment of his hat.
How can you establish a value on something you know nothing about? I would never dream of going on the Fez thread & telling someone their price is too high for their Fez & blaming Timothiescloset? I know nothing about Fez hats.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Getting kinda Facebook-y in here.

Yes, I mentioned timothiescloset because it didn't seem unreasonable to me that somebody selling their hat on eBay might start by looking at the prices of other hats on ebay. And since his paid listings show up all over my search results, it didn't seem like a great step in logic to think the OP had seen them as well.

I don't know why this seems to have struck a chord today as opposed to all the other times he has been referenced when folks come to the lounge for hat info.

How can you establish a value on something you know nothing about? I would never dream of going on the Fez thread & telling someone their price is too high for their Fez & blaming Timothiescloset? I know nothing about Fez hats.

Well, I didn't so there's that. A $500 price tag on any hat is something to give you pause. Only one person, I believe, put a personal value on it, saying they would pay ~$200 for it. The caution against pie-in-the-sky thinking is a good piece of advice for somebody to give. Most folks asked for more info. He got good advice, which was honest and respectful.

How can one establish a value on something one knows nothing about?

Well, I didn't so there's that.
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you did. Fixed it.

Think I'll go hang out on the Lamborghini forum now & tell them how they paid too much, & talk about my old 1963 Chevy Biscayne.

IMG_7118.JPG

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Fun discussion.

I don't see where anyone attacked anyone, there might be a little edge on a comment or two but certainly nothing rude. The assessments look quite fair to me, especially given that folks are reticent to give prices out to sellers.

Speaking very generally:

$200 is a pretty high barrier for Stetson vintage hats right now. Those that break it are usually pre-50s, 7X or 100s, or size 7 1/2 r higher. Whippets and Playboys seem to break the $200 rule left and right for some reason.

Higher than $300 have been pre-40s, some 7Xs, and Stetson 100s.

Over $400 that Ican recall have been Stetson 100s

Stetson 20s and 25s from the '50s seem like they often fall under the radar; one exception would be the Sovereigns with the more unique liner.

There certainly are more exceptions, two buyers can sometimes go at one hat pretty hard. As for my reference, although I miss some I have been diligently watching vintage Stetsons for almost a year now.

Maybe someone else is seeing differently? I'd be interested in other opinions.

Full Disclosure: I have referenced Timothy's Closet myself for the same reason.

Daniel

Last edited:
Fun discussion.

I don't see where anyone attacked anyone, there might be a little edge on a comment or two but certainly nothing rude. The assessments look quite fair to me, especially given that folks are reticent to give prices out to sellers.

Speaking very generally:

$200 is a pretty high barrier for Stetson vintage hats right now. Those that break it are usually pre-50s, 7X or 100s, or size 7 1/2 r higher. Whippets and Playboys seem to break the $200 rule left and right for some reason.

Higher than $300 have been pre-40s, some 7Xs, and Stetson 100s.

Over $400 that Ican recall have been Stetson 100s

Stetson 20s and 25s from the '50s seem like they often fall under the radar; one exception would be the Sovereigns with the more unique liner.

There certainly are more exceptions, two buyers can sometimes go at one hat pretty hard. As for my reference, although I miss some I have been diligently watching vintage Stetsons for almost a year now.

Maybe someone else is seeing differently? I'd be interested in other opinions.

Full Disclosure: I have referenced Timothy's Closet myself for the same reason.

Daniel

For my part, I generally agree. I shake my head at the prices some of these go for, but I also recognize my philosophy is different. Some collectors are willing to do and pay anything to get what they want. For me, the hunt is what gives me satisfaction. Plus, I'm a skinflint, so doling out the premium prices is against my nature.

I get satisfaction not only having the item, but also from how I obtained it. I'm damned proud I have a near-pristine Whippet I paid 1/10 of the recognized "going price" for. Same with all my hats. It took me a few years to acquire a vintage Strat, but I nailed it for $75. That's what I like.

And I don't mean to disparage those who do it differently. We're all out to have fun with this hobby. If it gives you joy, you're doing it right.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was actually trying to add a little reality to the discussion. I know we all want to find a great hat and pay as little as possible for it, but there's no way I'd list a nice hat like that for a $50 starting bid. I suggested a starting bid of $200 to make sure the seller's bases are covered but admitted I wouldn't sell that hat - IF it were mine - for less than $225 - $250, plus shipping charges.

Clearly, it's a super nice hat and I'd love to have it but I can't afford $500. Does that mean it's not worth $500? Heck no! I went to look at the link and there's a Make An Offer button there for anyone who wants to dicker in price. I considered this myself, but I'd have to sell 2 or 3 hats to cover the cost...

I previously listed what I consider to be an extremely nice, high quality, Montecristi semi-calado. I listed it for less than what I think it's worth and got zero offers. And that's fine, and it goes to show yet another point when selling a product above a certain price point: the higher the price, the fewer buyers there are who are willing and ABLE to pay for that product.

Me and my expensive Panama hat? Not going to give it away so I've decided to send it to Mike Miller and have him block, crease and finish the hat to my custom specifications with leather sweatband and a thin-to-medium ribbon or pug.

I don't think anyone here was trying to be rude to the OP; just giving their opinions about the value of the hat. The receiver always retains the right to do what he wishes with the offered opinion(s)...

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Well, i knew this thread was going to have a lively discussion and it has!!
I’m def gonna keep an eye on this auction now.
A couple things come to mind.

First, the original poster asked specifically what everyone thought about the hat and it’s value. Therein lies the floodgate.
I believe he got it!

Second, he is new, has posted asking about other hats, and is 84.
He seemed very enthusiastic about being here and to that i say:

“Welcome Bambolino and thanks for trusting enough in our opinions to ask about such a fine, fine hat. I think any of us would love to own that hat”.

Noticing that he has not replied to our many posts, i hope he understands that many strive to respond with the truth in hats and some of those responses are straight and to the point. After all, false praise is worse than no praise. That’s the beauty of an honest answer which if i was 84 i would expect no less.

Lastly, $500 is a helluva hat in my eyes. I hope you get that for it. If not, at least you have an audience here should you care to stick around.

Be well. Bowen
Ps: Again, welcome to the lounge Bambolino, keep coming back!!

Nicely said, Bowen. I want the forum to be respectful and tactful, but I don’t know why some feel it necessary to police it for what they think are too pointed responses or when they adopt a proprietary attitude on the forum or a thread. None of the comments were mean spirited or rude and the OP asked for our opinions.

I’ll repeat myself and say that the hat is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If there isn’t a hurry to liquidate it, there’s no harm is starting high. I didn’t give a dollar amount because I didn’t have a clue on that exact hat, and I’d be happy for the guy if he got his full asking price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I find it interesting when one doesn't "have a clue" on whether a Sovereign Twenty even exists or not & stops just short of calling it a Frankenhat because of the liner & sweet. Why not take a minute to do some research & documentation as Daniel did instead of venturing an uninformed opinion? As I said I wouldn't dream of offering such an opinion on the Fez thread among others, but that's just me. Owning a hundred hats does not make one an expert.

And I would agree with Doug. No way would I list this hat at auction with an opening bid at $50 to see what the market will bear. This is not a common hat & probably never was.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Greetings All again:
I been giving this hat some thought. Not from a $ value perspective but from the uniqueness perspective.
I have to go with HJ on this one in that this hat is unique and therefore probably rare in several different ways. Each of which would reflect on one’s dollar valuation.
One thing i learned about Stetsons (et al) is that as soon as you nail one down, up pops another to throw a wrench in the works. Isn’t that what we really like anyway? That “one” that’s different then all the rest. At least i do. I think Stetson did a pretty good job of creating some of their own Frankenhats.
This hat is anomalous, with respect to all the hats posted on the Sovereign Twenty thread in my opinion by:
1. 3 cord ribbon
2. Size tag numbering
3. Liner sweatband configuration
Together, in short, i’ll go out on a limb and say, we got a “tweener”, and a nice one being so unique.
To not prolong the dialogue i summarize by the following:
The stars in the sweat band and a liner with a maple leaf are often seen on transitional Stetsons. The size tag has the number and fraction indicative of a specific timeframe, i believe. The liner style is different than the Sovereign Twenty OR i posted and is posted in 2015, yet is similar to other Sovereign Twenty liners. Transition might explain that better than “wrong liner”.
The 3 cord ribbon is very unique, i believe as i only recall seeing it on one of my 3X starred Last Drops and a weird Clear Nutria Boss.
All this litany leads me to believe this is a transitional Sovereign Twenty or a Special order Stetson.
So, Bambolino (et al), for what it’s worth, that’s my take on your awesome hat, and if it were my size and i were buying hats, i’d make you a serious offer in a hot minute.
Be well. Bowen
Ducking now!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Meh.

Absolutely, I will cop to my ignorance on the Soverign Twenty.

That's why I didn't offer a specific dollar figure for the hat. So, no, I did not evaluate something I knew nothing about it. Perhaps that was not grammatically clear. I will endeavour to be more precise in the future so as to avoid these mixups.

I did suggest that $500 was high, something which everyone seems to agree with.
I never said it was worth $500...

I will defend my initial wording as a fair statement based on my observations of completed auction prices. As I said, I had recently seen a Stetson 100 with full case and inserts sell for around $500. "On paper," so to speak, this is a 'better' hat in a nicer box.

as far as the hat, I actually do think it could be sold for $500 if the OP willing to let it sit there for a while.

Last edited:
Meh.

Absolutely, I will cop to my ignorance on the Soverign Twenty.

That's why I didn't offer a specific dollar figure for the hat. So, no, I did not evaluate something I knew nothing about it. Perhaps that was not grammatically clear. I will endeavour to be more precise in the future so as to avoid these mixups.

I did suggest that $500 was high, something which everyone seems to agree with.

I will defend my initial wording as a fair statement based on my observations of completed auction prices. As I said, I had recently seen a Stetson 100 with full case and inserts sell for around $500. "On paper," so to speak, this is a 'better' hat in a nicer box.

Now, if you'd like to continue to indirectly address me and parse my words and intent for your projected intentions, I say, welcome to social media HJ.

as far as the hat, I actually do think it could be sold for $500 if the OP willing to let it sit there for a while.
Jared,

Two final comments:

1) I really don't think a sales price comparison with the sale of one Stetson 100 holds any value. Seems to me they are not similar hats regardless of felt quality or case. What one may be worth has no intrinsic value on the worth of the other.

2) My comment concerning uninformed opinions was not directed at you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21