Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

David Morgan Bushman

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
Does anyone have any shots of the Bushman bashed other than fedora style? I'm thinking of getting one and giving it a Gus.

Regards,

Gooch.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm sure you've already seen them, but the image tab on the Bushman page of DM's website shows the Bushman with both a telescope and a Oreana crease:

1606_open_telescope_sm.jpg
836_1606_sm.jpg

Since those pics are kinda small, here's the link to the exact tab of which I'm discussing.

This is a pic of my Akubra Campdraft with my first try at a Gus crease. I know it's not the same model, but the dimensions of both hats differ only in that the Bushman has a wider brim by about a fourth of an inch. Again, this is my first attempt at a Gus:

CampdraftGus1.jpg
CampdraftGus2.jpg

I think your idea is great, especially since I was planning the same thing lol!

Last edited:

Tone

A-List Customer
Can see why you'd want to try it with a Bushman instead. Nice try, though, with a Campdraft.

Neophyte

Looks good. Your new avatar is cool, too.

Gooch.

Thanks!

That hat has since become a raked telescope with curled brim, but I enjoyed the Gus while it was there. It was hard to keep there, though, as the felt on my CD is really, really soft and malleable (happened by accident).

Neophyte

Can see why you'd want to try it with a Bushman instead. Nice try, though, with a Campdraft.

lol

Yeah, the brim on the CD is just not wide enough to make the Gus look natural. I'm sure the Bushman could swing it, though. Plus, you can attach a chinstrap/stampede string to the Bushman.

Tone

A-List Customer
In Akubrality I think a "BOSS OF THE PLAINS" is probably the ideal Akubra for a Gus in relativity to all specs; but, speaking of the softening up of hats, that does bring up a point of concern for putting this type of crease into an Akubra in terms of longevity for daily wear in that particular style.

One of the fuller open-crowned Akubras can clearly be styled this way, but the question is how long did you want it to hold as such in terms of Western workwear? The mighty Bushman is a fantabulous hat, and holds a fedora crease extremely well, but even that would have a hard time holding a "Gus" crease for daily wear and activity for the long haul.

Neophyte, you do bring up a good point regarding the nature of Akubra felt over time, in mentioning that the style was "hard to keep there", however.

Something to consider, Harry; are you wanting it to hold up Stetson-grade (the hard-shell shellac as on their westerns that hold trickier shapes for much longer); or just wanting to see if the Bushman can be styled that way? Akubras get soft, and styled well can hold that shape for a very long time; but one of these...

You might seriously want to consider a "western" - grade hat for this crease, instead.

Last edited:

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
In Akubrality I think a "BOSS OF THE PLAINS" is probably the ideal Akubra for a Gus in relativity to all specs; but, speaking of the softening up of hats, that does bring up a point of concern for putting this type of crease into an Akubra in terms of longevity for daily wear in that particular style.

One of the fuller open-crowned Akubras can clearly be styled this way, but the question is how long did you want it to hold as such in terms of Western workwear? The mighty Bushman is a fantabulous hat, and holds a fedora crease extremely well, but even that would have a hard time holding a "Gus" crease for daily wear and activity for the long haul.

Neophyte, you do bring up a good point regarding the nature of Akubra felt over time, in mentioning that the style was "hard to keep there", however.

Something to consider, Harry; are you wanting it to hold up Stetson-grade (the hard-shell shellac as on their westerns that hold trickier shapes for much longer); or just wanting to see if the Bushman can be styled that way? Akubras get soft, and styled well can hold that shape for a very long time; but one of these...

You might seriously want to consider a "western" - grade hat for this crease, instead.

Good point regarding durability of crease.

Tone

A-List Customer
Yeah, as fedoras or similarly creased styles, Akubras can hold forever. One of these, though... Well, let us know what you went with!

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
The boss of the plains is tempting, but I'm not sure I can handle an 11 week wait. Do you know of any suppliers that stock this hat?

Neophyte

The boss of the plains is tempting, but I'm not sure I can handle an 11 week wait. Do you know of any suppliers that stock this hat?

That was what kept me from ordering it, too. There's no supplier that currently stocks it, either :(. You could buy another hat sometime during that wait to hold you over ;).

T Rick

Practically Family
What about using the felt stiffener I've seen talked about here recently? Wouldn't that help the Bushman to hold a Gus style bash?

Neophyte

What about using the felt stiffener I've seen talked about here recently? Wouldn't that help the Bushman to hold a Gus style bash?

Yes it would, and would probably help to maintain the crease over an extended period of time. I suppose that all you would need to do is apply the stiffener in the right places.

To clarify, the Bushman and the Campdraft can probably take a Gus crease and hold it. What I meant to but failed to say earlier is that, if you were to go through with your plan, you would need to be a little more careful with the hat, especially after rainstorms. A little tweaking here and there might be necessary. My fawn CD has very little "active" stiffener (I'm betting some steam will bring more life back into the felt) due to constant dousing (before I learned the importance of moderation when creasing a hat), which was why it was hard to keep the Gus crease.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21