Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

De-itching Pendleton shirts?

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
This is why I'm not a fan of wool. Cause the stuff does not feel good wearing. I still happen to own like three wool button ups though ~_~

Peacoat

Bartender
I'm not allergic to wool, so the itchiness doesn't bother me. I do wear a long sleeve shirt under it, though. I would follow Carlos' recommendation above. That sounds like the ticket for wool. I wash mine in Woolite, which is designed for fabrics such as wool and is readily available here in the US. I may scout around for the Mitchell's Wooly Wash and see if it is available locally.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Put a cup of white distilled vinegar in your rinse water. Not guaranteeing it won't itch, but it will make it softer.

Miichael

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Banana Republic (I know, I know) sells long-sleeved black t-shiirts that are very comfortable. I've bought about eight of them over the last few years and they work nicely with woolen sweaters, shirts, etc.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Thanks for the washing tips, chaps!

And those Banana Republic tips are quite smart. Wonder if these, from Berry on the Drums – new at the estimable Rivet & Hide in London – are really three times as good.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the washing tips, chaps!

And those Banana Republic tips are quite smart. Wonder if these, from Berry on the Drums – new at the estimable Rivet & Hide in London – are really three times as good.

I'm all for "buying the best you can afford" but i honestly don't see how spending £100 on a T shirt makes sens!
A weeks supply of those is the budget for a leather jacket! To me these are so far past the point of diminishing returns, i don't see it.

It's like spending £86.50 on a pair of underwear, who does that?

https://www.hanro.co.uk/hanro-men/h...nd-cotton/sea-island-cotton-boxer-shorts.html

Last edited:

homesicksteve

Familiar Face
You think I should wash in lanolin? You're probably right.

They are rather fine shirts, though – just itchy.

The Lanolin I have is like congealed engine grease. Washing yourself in it may be a challenge !

https://twigandhorn.com/blogs/news/65351875-why-lanolize-your-wool-garments
http://babeegreens.com/how-to-lanolize-wool-and-cashmere/

Ignoring the above, I dissolved some Lanolin in hot water & added to washing machine. This made a big mess & is NOT recommended !

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
The Hanros are actually really comfortable...

Thing about cheap(er) t-shirts is that they begin to sag and bag. Plus they tend to be made by kids in China.

Schwanen a good alternative.

Ordered the sheep stuff: thanks, @Carlos840.

Hope it helps. I have used it safely on both wool and cashmere, in the washing machine on wool program.
Be careful with non sheep wool fabrics though, my cousin used it on alpaca and it pretty much ruined it.
I think it was because of the high lanolin content, it clumped all the fibers together. Never had that happen on fabrics made from sheep wool though.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sir Jacket, I find that after I wear a Pendleton shirt two or three times I don't really notice the itch anymore. If that doesn't work for you I'm sure that one of the wool detergents mentioned above will help. I recently hand washed a Filson Mackinaw vest using Woolite Dark and it was much softer afterwards.

I get a long version of a decent brand (also tagless) from Macy's on sale. Some crew, some V and they last a decent amount of time. Once they get a little dingy, it's shoe-polishing duty...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner