Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dear Wested Owners:

Bammerman

New in Town
I've seen a fair number of posts on this forum about Wested's jackets, and I've looked at their website. As a result, I'm seriously thinking of buying a Wested IJ jacket. But the pictures aren't very good on the Wested website, so I'm wondering if any of you Wested owners have some photos you could post, or direct me to. Also - I'm leaning toward a horsehide jacket, based on pictures and descriptions on this forum of jackets by various other makers - but I've never actually seen a horsehide jacket in the flesh (in the hide, actually). How does horsehide "feel" - I mean both to the touch, and how it feels on your body as you're wearing it - compared to other leathers such as cowhide, lamb, goat? Many posters seem to feel that horsehide is more desirable in some way - what's that all about? Thanks for your comments.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Bammerman said:
I've seen a fair number of posts on this forum about Wested's jackets, and I've looked at their website. As a result, I'm seriously thinking of buying a Wested IJ jacket. But the pictures aren't very good on the Wested website, so I'm wondering if any of you Wested owners have some photos you could post, or direct me to. Also - I'm leaning toward a horsehide jacket, based on pictures and descriptions on this forum of jackets by various other makers - but I've never actually seen a horsehide jacket in the flesh (in the hide, actually). How does horsehide "feel" - I mean both to the touch, and how it feels on your body as you're wearing it - compared to other leathers such as cowhide, lamb, goat? Many posters seem to feel that horsehide is more desirable in some way - what's that all about? Thanks for your comments.
Well, Bammerman,
You have asked the right fellow because I own a Wested horsehide and I rather love it. It has heft, is a bit dark in color, and is extremely strong. Here are some photos:

To me, horsehide is desireable because many of the flight jackets of the 1930's were made of it. It is also very strong and not too many people have them, which is always fun. I have another Wested made of lamb and it is luxorious, but not so tough.

Horsehide feels a bit heavy when you are wearing it, but comfortably so. If you have ever worn a motorcycle jacket, this is how it feels.

So much more information on horsehide and Westeds can be found here at Club Obi Wan.

Let me know if you want to know anything else about this jacket. I would be happy to help.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I can't claim to be an expert,....

Bammerman said:
I just know what I like. :)

I wanted a horsehide jacket because it was the first type of A2 jacket produced, I had never had one, so I wanted the authentic feel. Horses were common on farms across the country until around the 1940's when farms were becoming more mechanized. Thus, horse was more readily available for leather goods.
Horsehide can be quite a bit stiffer than goat, so it drapes differantly, it tends to stand out away from your body when worn. At first this seemed strange, but it's breaking in nicely, getting lots of character, and I like the feel of it. Also, a big plus to me is that it is retaining that new leather smell much longer than any goat or lamb jacket I have ever owned. I don't know if that's a characteristic peculiar to horsehide or not, but I love that smell!

Bammerman

New in Town
Thanks, all

...for the replies. I think that's the jacket for me, all right. I particularly appreciate the direction to Club Obi Wan, where I found many instructive threads. Now I just have to decide which of my fountain pen collection to auction off on eBay to pay for this jacket!

(Historical note: one day in 1991 or 1992 I was interviewing Indian student visa applicants in New Delhi and one of the young women told me I looked just like Harrison Ford. It may or may not have been flattery (I can't remember whether she got the visa, in any case) but it did reinforce my ideal image of myself as an Indiana Jones type! Which of course I'm nothing like in real life. But don't they say that clothes make the man? There must be something to that.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21