Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
RIP DON GALLOWAY

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/14/arts/television/14galloway.html

galloway-obit.190.jpg

he played JoBeth Williams’s disdainful husband in “The Big Chill” — but made his name in prime time.
he spent eight seasons on “Ironside,” from 1967 to 1975, as the earnest and loyal investigator Sgt. Ed Brown. He also appeared in three dozen other series, including “Marcus Welby, M.D.,” “Love, American Style,” “Fantasy Island” “Hotel” “Charlie’s Angels,” “Dallas,” “MacGyver” and “Murder, She Wrote,” making him one of network television’s most familiar guest stars.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab

Rufus

Practically Family
Very sad to hear about John dying.
A beautiful voice, an incredible player, a great wit, and a debauched fiend. At least the knew how to live.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Habitat for Humanity founder dies

The Fullers sold all their possessions, gave money to the poor and began searching for a new direction. They found Koinonia Farm, a Christian community near Americus in rural southwest Georgia, the biography said.

Along with Koinonia founder Clarence Jordan and a few others, the couple initiated several enterprises, among them a housing ministry that built modest homes on a no-interest, nonprofit basis and made them affordable to low-income families.

Homeowner families were expected to use their own labor to help defray costs on their home as well as homes for other families. Money to build homes was placed into a revolving fund, enabling more to be built, according to the biography.

In 1973, the Fullers moved to Africa to test their housing model, the biography said. Their project was launched in Zaire -- now the Democratic Republic of the Congo -- and was a success. "Fuller became convinced that this model could be expanded and applied all over the world," the biography said.

When Fuller returned to the United States three years later, he met with a group of associates to create Habitat for Humanity International. According to its Web site, Habitat has provided shelter for more than 1.5 million people in more than 3,000 communities.

LD

pigeon toe

One Too Many
mike said:
We live in a sad lonely world. The amount of important and truly heroic people that have died in the last year or two makes for an empty uninspiring world. :(

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/cramps-frontman-lux-interior-dies-1003938315.story

I am SO upset about this. I always thought I'd get to see The Cramps again. I saw them on Halloween probably 5 years ago when I was still in high school. They put on the best show I've ever seen. He was an amazing performer. I'm super sad about this.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Les Paul

No, he hasn't passed yet but at age 93 he's not too long for this world and he still performs every Monday night at Iridium in Manhattan. He's an affable raconteur, to boot.

And he is, after all, Les *Freakin'* Paul!!!

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
No, he hasn't passed yet but at age 93 he's not too long for this world and he still performs every Monday night at Iridium in Manhattan. He's an affable raconteur, to boot.

And he is, after all, Les *Freakin'* Paul!!!

GEEEZ, you scared me!
Shearer met him last year. She was impressed to meet someone who played for FDR.
3254178353_37700ece29.jpg

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Thanks for posting that, Mike.

I feel as sad about Lux going as I did when Bo Diddley died and Link Wray before him. Those three men were music to me for a long, long time.

Lux and Ivy, along with Lenny Kaye and a few others, were responsible for keeping fresh in people's minds great tunes and a whole swathe of pop culture that would otherwise have been forgotten by the 'good taste' pop elite.

RIP Lux...

...or is it? :eek:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
English actress Kathleen Byron died last month

Unforgetable as lust-crazed Sister Ruth in Black Narcissus, and a fascinating presence in many other films over an amazingly long career:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/jan/19/kathleen-byron-obituary

I had just shown a friend A Matter of Life and Death last night, and pointed out her small role as the angel in charge of the aircrew section. She makes quite an impression with only a couple of minutes of screen time. (Only one of the many pleasures in this wonderfully clever film from the great Powell & Pressburger team.)

H.Johnson

One Too Many
RIP Colonel David Smiley

Colonel David Smiley has died aged 92.

This heroic man's exploits in war and peacetime defy description.

Born into an aristocratic and wealthy family, he was a combination of Lawrence of Arabia (he once led a Bedu cavalry charge) David Stirling (they were friends and served together in SAS), Michael Foot (served with him in SOE), Mike Hoare (became a 'soldier of fortune' when denied promotion to brigadier in 1961) and Egon Ronay (became an inspector for the Good Food Guide).

A truly amazing chronical. His like will probably not be seen again.

Adieu, Colonel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24