Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
Patrick McGoohan, of The Prisoner, Danger Man/Secret Agent, etc.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/7829267.stm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUx3vj3lmT8

And earlier, the inimitable Hell Drivers. Should be compulsory viewing for students of 1950s Britain (and the cinema, for that matter). McGoohan's boss character is played with a fearsome menace that is scarcely matched.

A fine character actor. IMO he could give lessons to some of the other actors in this production who went onto greater things.

donCarlos

Practically Family

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nancy Bird Walton AO, OBE, JStJ 1913-2009

Pioneering Australian aviatrix who became a fully qualified pilot at the age of 19 in 1934. She was instructed by the legendary aviator Sir Charles Kingsford Smith near Sydney, and and in 1935 opened an air ambulance service in outback New South Wales.

In 1936, Nancy Bird entered the Adelaide to Brisbane air race, and won the Ladies' Trophy. In 1938 she decided to take a break from flying. A Dutch airline company invited her to do some promotional work in Europe, and she remained there for several years, returning to Australia after World War II began to train women in the piloting skills needed to back up the men flying in the Royal Australian Air Force. At the age of 24 she married Englishman Charles Walton, and had two children. He preferred to call her "Nancy-Bird" rather than "Nancy", and she became generally known as "Nancy-Bird Walton". In 1950, she founded the Australian Women's Pilots' Association, of which she was president until 1990. In 1958, she decided to return to flying after a twenty year absence.

Despite the rsiks involved in early aviation, Nancy Bird was never involved in an accident. Her tireless work for charities and the needy resulted in her being invested as an Officer of the British Empire (OBE) in 1966, and she was later appointed an Officer of the Order of Australia (AO). The National Trust of Australia declared her an Australian Living Treasure in 1997.

The first Airbus A380 delivered to Australian national airline Qantas in 2008 was named in her honour.

Nancy passed away at her home in Mosman, on Sydney's North Shore, January 13, 2009, aged 95.

MrBern said:
3197820210_323c4f7817_m.jpg
3077758530_438d6556e6.jpg
3197846830_54f86c040c_m.jpg

Very sad. Kids know him now as the grandfather in th super-wheelchair in SPYKIDS.
He's great as a paratrooper with Van Johnson in Battleground, but really he was one of the great screen latin lovers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d4HVq7MwQg

Don't forget that children also know him by his Villian character on Kim Possible: Senor Senior Sr. and his son Senor Senior Jr.;)
As seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC7Q5L3ejrg
Obviously his voice. :D

Peacoat

Bartender
Freddie Hubbard

And what a talent he was. Although obviously known for his jazz, I discovered him through his blues playing in the late 60s, and early 70s.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
"She who must be obeyed . . . "

All fans of dear old Hoprace Rumpole, barrister at the Olde Bailey, will be saddened to know that his creator, John Mortimer, passed away at 85. He was also famous for a wonderful autobiographical story "Voyage Round My Father", which starred Laurence Olivier as his irascible progenitor.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...R?SITE=1010WINS&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
Let's all have a glass of port in his honor.

filfoster

One Too Many
Rump hole

dhermann1 said:
All fans of dear old Hoprace Rumpole, barrister at the Olde Bailey, will be saddened to know that his creator, John Mortimer, passed away at 85. He was also famous for a wonderful autobiographical story "Voyage Round My Father", which starred Laurence Olivier as his irascible progenitor.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...R?SITE=1010WINS&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
Let's all have a glass of port in his honor.

Is Leo McKern, the actor who memorably played Rumpole still living?

Foofoogal

Banned
http://www.branduardi.info/images/wind.jpg

When I was just starting my business I went to alot of sales. One day I ran across a junky old house. I was digging around and found a large stack of large pictures.
For $4.00 I found this Andrew Wyeth print. It is called "Wind From the Sea" This does not do it justice. Mine is old and in a large original frame and not cut off like this.
Every Spring I put out my lace curtains and hang it on the wall. It takes me away to a simpler time. You can literally imagine yourself in that room with that window. It is marvelous.
Some of my finds I keep for myself and this is one.
RIP Andrew Wyeth. Thank you for my gift of art.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Wyeth family are local folks here -- Andrew could often be seen in the summer standing in line among the rest of the locals at Wasses Hot Dog Stand, just down the street from where I live, and nobody ever made a big deal over him because he wanted it that way. A colossal talent, a humble man.

warbird

One Too Many
The snooty artist elites and their critics often said Wyeth was not a true painter, but an illustrator. I always found that to be absurd of Wyeth and a personal favorite, Rockwell. They were artists as much as any painter and were able to convey emotion, sentimentality and a uniqueness to the world around them. I have a particular dislike for the bourgeois determining for us what we find artistic and whether we should like something or not.

In the end those critics will not be remembered, but Mr. Wyeth will be and congrats to him for it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My favorite Wyeth --

patriot.jpg

"The Patriot," a portrait of logger Ralph Cline, from the next town over, donning his World War I uniform for a Memorial Day parade. A real person, with a real face and a real story -- impeccably captured here.

rcline4.jpg

The real Ralph Cline.

Brinybay

Practically Family
A bit belated, but none-the-less...

She passed away a year ago. Just to make this interesting, I'll let you guess who. My Dad always said she was a real "looker" (old-fashioned term for saying a woman was beautiful). Of course, as a kid watching her on TV, I had no idea what he meant or that indeed she was a "looker". Here she is in 1940.

YDC.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24