Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I am most definately not a poet, but while replying to a thread on a different poem, I just had to write something, so I came up with this...

May they be in a better place,
safe from evil's harm.
Not having to fear bursts of sound,
Never hearing those scary, loud alarms.

May those little angels be free to frolic and play,
They are in the arms of God now, speak to them while you pray.
For those young, little Angels,
May they live on and on...
Keeping their families healthy and strong.

When you close your eyes, please think of them,
Imagine their young, sweet laughter.
May their new homes, be full of care-free bliss,
Now, and forever after.

Please, think of them, here on out, no matter what others may say,
Keep their memories in your heart, at home, safe...
So they best not be forgotten, on this frightful, tragic day...
~Justin Seagraves

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
The killing of people is a terrible thing in itself,but when a gutless chickens@#t coward has to gun down a bunch of innocent kindergarten kids for no good reason it really makes one wonder about how far we've come as a society in general?Now we'll here the excuses that he wasn't mentally stable or what ever term is popular at the moment.It doesn't matter what they do or say cause nothing will bring them back and nothing will ever make the families of those little ones whole again.I'm with the rest of you here sending my prayers and thoughts to everyone affected by this disgusting and horrible act....Sincerely Bob Kirschman

scooter

Practically Family
Catherine Patricia "Pat" Weir

Folks, I hope no one minds, but I would like to pay tribute to my mother in law. She was just a few months shy of 89 years old, and she passed away at home with us last night. She had a heart attack 2 weeks ago, and while at one point thought we had beaten it, she contracted a MRSA infection and couldn't overcome it's debilitating effects.

She was a gentle, kind soul, witty and bright. Generous to a fault, she took me, my children and my grandchild into her heart as if we were her own. My wife and I cared for her the last year and a half of her life, and it was my honor and privilege to serve her. I loved her dearly, and I will miss her terribly. She loved a good gin martini, and while I'm not man enough to quaff one the size of hers, I did raise a "dirty martini" shot in her honor last night after they took her away.

It has rained here in Arizona for the last two days, and I am reminded of the great Stevie Ray Vaughn song "The Sky is Cryin', can't you see the tears running down the street'. I know there have been tears aplenty here the last 12 hours. Lift one in her memory if you're of a mind, she was a great lady!

Folks, I hope no one minds, but I would like to pay tribute to my mother in law. She was just a few months shy of 89 years old, and she passed away at home with us last night. She had a heart attack 2 weeks ago, and while at one point thought we had beaten it, she contracted a MRSA infection and couldn't overcome it's debilitating effects.

She was a gentle, kind soul, witty and bright. Generous to a fault, she took me, my children and my grandchild into her heart as if we were her own. My wife and I cared for her the last year and a half of her life, and it was my honor and privilege to serve her. I loved her dearly, and I will miss her terribly. She loved a good gin martini, and while I'm not man enough to quaff one the size of hers, I did raise a "dirty martini" shot in her honor last night after they took her away.

It has rained here in Arizona for the last two days, and I am reminded of the great Stevie Ray Vaughn song "The Sky is Cryin', can't you see the tears running down the street'. I know there have been tears aplenty here the last 12 hours. Lift one in her memory if you're of a mind, she was a great lady!

You have honored her memory wonderfully so. She was obviously as fortunate to have you a part of her world as you were to be a part of her's. I wish you and your family the best and many happy memories.
:D

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Sen. Inouye was a great American, RIP.

I don't know if everybody knows the story of how he got awarded his Congressional Medal of Honor, but it's a harrowing one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Inouye#Military_service_.281941.E2.80.931947.29
On April 21, 1945, Inouye was grievously wounded while leading an assault on a heavily-defended ridge near San Terenzo in Tuscany, Italy called Colle Musatello. The ridge served as a strongpoint along the strip of German fortifications known as the Gothic Line, which represented the last and most dogged line of German defensive works in Italy. As he led his platoon in a flanking maneuver, three German machine guns opened fire from covered positions just 40 yards away, pinning his men to the ground. Inouye stood up to attack and was shot in the stomach; ignoring his wound, he proceeded to attack and destroy the first machine gun nest with hand grenades and fire from his Thompson submachine gun. After being informed of the severity of his wound by his platoon sergeant, he refused treatment and rallied his men for an attack on the second machine gun position, which he also successfully destroyed before collapsing from blood loss.

As his squad distracted the third machine gunner, Inouye crawled toward the final bunker, eventually drawing within 10 yards. As he raised himself up and cocked his arm to throw his last grenade into the fighting position, a German inside fired a rifle grenade that struck him on the right elbow, severing most of his arm and leaving his own primed grenade reflexively "clenched in a fist that suddenly didn't belong to me anymore".[10] Inouye's horrified soldiers moved to his aid, but he shouted for them to keep back out of fear his severed fist would involuntarily relax and drop the grenade. As the German inside the bunker reloaded his rifle, Inouye pried the live grenade from his useless right hand and transferred it to his left. As the German aimed his rifle to finish him off, Inouye tossed the grenade off-hand into the bunker and destroyed it. He stumbled to his feet and continued forward, silencing the last German resistance with a one-handed burst from his Thompson before being wounded in the leg and tumbling unconscious to the bottom of the ridge. When he awoke to see the concerned men of his platoon hovering over him, his only comment before being carried away was to gruffly order them to return to their positions, since, as he pointed out, "nobody called off the war!"[11]

The remainder of Inouye's mutilated right arm was later amputated at a field hospital without proper anesthesia, as he had been given too much morphine at an aid station and it was feared any more would lower his blood pressure enough to kill him.[12]

Although Inouye had lost his right arm, he remained in the military until 1947 and was honorably discharged with the rank of captain. At the time of his leaving of the Army, he was a recipient of the Bronze Star Medal and the Purple Heart. Inouye was initially awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for his bravery in this action, with the award later being upgraded to the Medal of Honor by President Bill Clinton (alongside 19 other Nisei servicemen who served in the 442nd Regimental Combat Team and were believed to have been denied proper recognition of their bravery due to their race).[13]

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
This is from a page called Traces of Texas on FB.

"It's sort of a sad day for ol' Traces. Larry L. King, one of my literary heroes, has passed away. He was probably most famous for "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" but I always liked his essays, magazine articles, and interviews better. He was part of a group of 6-7 Texas writers that gained national prominence in the 1960s ---- Bud Shrake, Billy Lee Brammer, Gary Cartwright, Dan Jenkins, Larry McMurtry etc.... and it saddens me to learn that he's now joined Brammer, Shrake, Grover Lewis, and others in that great byline in the sky. If you get chance to pick it up, his collection "Of Outlaws, Con Men, Whores and Politicians" comes highly recommended. I see that you can pick it up used for one penny at Amazon.com."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...3cf9b0-1ee8-11e2-9746-908f727990d8_story.html

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up

no........so sad :( RIP Jack Klugman..........sad...

gty_jack_klugman_ll_121224_wmain.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran