Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My very first act of political consciousness was putting a McGovern sticker on the front of my school desk. My teacher immediately stripped it off and threw it in the wastebasket, and the battle lines were drawn for the rest of the year.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
And of course Sylvia Kristel .. some days, weeks ago? the 17 th of October 2012 ...well, she deserves to be mentioned too RIP

sylvia-kristel-dead.jpg
so long good bye farewell then...

Peacoat

Bartender
It's not a recent passing, but to me it seems like yesterday. Duane Allman was killed 41 years ago today in Macon, GA at age 24. He came a long way from 100 Van Avenue. Rest in Peace Brother, we still love you.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Very true. So true, in fact they wrote a song about it :p

[video=youtube;RfpHfq40A_I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfpHfq40A_I[/video]

When Hee Haw came out, the critics at large universally panned it (and perhaps understandably), not recognizing that there was a large market for countrified humor. Those critics are largely forgotten, while Hee Haw has became an American icon.

Hee Haw survived the rural purge and had a long run, from 1969 to 1993, if memory serves me. My family and I still watch it every Sunday on RFD-TV.

Watched it yesterday, guests were Roy Acuff and Jim Ed Brown. Great stuff is right!

Hee Haw was standard fare in our weekly TV watching at home when I was a kid. Great stuff still today.

I'd be crazy of them to take it down! I would hope it's still there.

Sample Motors in Cumming, GA was just up the road. They had a BR-549 sign for years. Haven't been by there lately = wonder if still there.

WH1

Practically Family
RIP Twinkie the Kid!

Twinkie The Kid, a sweet, golden, creme-filled wrangler made of cake thought by some to have an infinite expiration date, is dead. He was 85.

Twinkie's death was confirmed by his caretaker, Hostess Brands Inc.

Born in 1930 to James Alexander Dewar of the Continental Baking Company, Twinkie, as he was known then, was the child of stuffed beginnings in Schiller Park, Ill. His manufacturer switched to vanilla filling as World War II forced the United States to ration bananas, a move that would ultimately prove fruitful for the pubescent pastry.

In 1971, Twinkie made his advertising debut as Twinkie The Kid. Dressed in a 10-gallon hat, kerchief and cowboy boots, "The Kid" would often be seen "with his confectionary comrades, Captain Cupcake and Fruit Pie the Magician," Retroland recalls.

He had exceptional skills with a lasso. In one instance, Twinkie The Kid saved Twinkie Town from a pair of bakery burglars, roping them in without letting the delicious loot hit the ground. His willingness to share treats made him popular with children.

Many believed he could -- and would -- live forever. A popular urban myth holds that the cake's chemical structure affords it a shelf life measured in decades and capable of surviving nuclear war. The reputation for longevity was reinforced in the film "Zombieland", featuring outspoken pastry fanatic Woody Harrelson embarking on a kamikaze mission for the last Twinkie on earth.

During his golden years, Twinkie The Kid's legacy was an issue of national importance.

"In 1999, President Bill Clinton and the White House Millennium Council selected the Twinkie to be preserved in the nation's millennium time capsule, calling it an enduring American icon," according to the Washington Post.

In recent years, Twinkie The Kid's critics lambasted the once respected treat, who went as low as deep frying himself to attract the ever-sweetening tooth of his fans.

Reports indicate that Hostess could sell Twinkie The Kids' remains to the highest bidder, opening the possibility that another baker will stuff and sell him again, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Twinkie is survived by his competitor, the Drake's Coffee Cake.

From AOL News

Last edited:

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Elvis Presley's Memphis haberdasher: Bernard Lansky

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/bernard-lansky-memphis-clothier-to-elvis-dies-at-85/2012/11/16/afb3bd60-2f66-11e2-a30e-5ca76eeec857_story.html

Obit-Elvis%20Clothier_001.r.jpg

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/obituaries/2012/11/16/bernard-lansky-clothier-who-dressed-elvis-presley-dies/M9TE9NwDC2DViL2LQLz95J/story.html

Mr. Lansky picked out the white suit and blue tie that Presley wore when he was buried.

‘‘I put his first suit on him and his last suit on him,’’ Mr. Lansky was fond of saying.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/17/arts/music/bernard-lansky-clothier-to-music-royalty-dies-at-85.html?

Johnny Cash went in one day carrying a can of Prince Albert tobacco and pointed to the picture on the cover, a man in a long black jacket.

“ ‘I want this,’ he said, ‘a black suit,’ ” Mr. Lansky recalled. “I made a cutaway coat with black pants.”

Presley bought his high school prom outfit from the store — black pants, a pink coat and a pink-and-black cummerbund. He bought the outfit he wore on one of his early “Ed Sullivan Show” appearances at Lansky’s — a plaid sport coat and pegged pants — and he bought his first gold-lamé jacket there.

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/interview_lansky.html
lansky-cover.gif

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24