Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Bea Wayne and Kitty Kallen. But Patty and her sisters held a very special place in our culture. Can anybody tell me if the sisters ever completely reconciled after their famous split up?
They were SOOOO great.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Bea Wayne and Kitty Kallen. But Patty and her sisters held a very special place in our culture. Can anybody tell me if the sisters ever completely reconciled after their famous split up?
They were SOOOO great.

Patty went solo in 1953, but they reunited in '56, so they must have been relatively amiable at that point.

wsc

New in Town
I recently found out she was still alive and almost commented on it but figured it might be bad mojo to start a thread about golden era stars still among us...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Ed Koch, New York's controversial but iconic mayor from 1977 to 89. He presided over some of the City's most difficult days, and received a ton of criticism at the time. But he and the City weathered the tough times, and he became a beloved symbol of New York's good humored resiliance in the face of adversity. His slogan was, "How'm I doin'?" He did pretty well, all in all. He was 88.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lavonne "Pepper" Paire-Davis, a gritty catcher/infielder whose professional baseball career nearly the entire life of the All American Girls' Professional Baseball Association, has died at the age of 88. A former California shipyard worker, Davis joined the AAGPBL in 1944 and played thru the 1954 season, sparking five pennant-winning teams along the way.

aagpepperph.JPG

She was the inspiration for the character played by Geena Davis in the "League Of Their Own" film.

Lavonne "Pepper" Paire-Davis, a gritty catcher/infielder whose professional baseball career nearly the entire life of the All American Girls' Professional Baseball Association, has died at the age of 88. A former California shipyard worker, Davis joined the AAGPBL in 1944 and played thru the 1954 season, sparking five pennant-winning teams along the way.

aagpepperph.JPG

She was the inspiration for the character played by Geena Davis in the "League Of Their Own" film.

This TV (5.3 open air in LA has been playing "A Leaue of Their Own" since Monda I think.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Natalie Latham, the founder of the 1940 "Bundles for Britain" campaign has died at the age of 103. A Massachusetts-born heiress to a refrigeration fortune, Latham was a society woman looking for something worthwhile to do with her time and money when she decided that Americans ought to lend more than just moral support to their British cousins. The "Bundles" campaign eventually encompassed over a million volunteers from coast to coast, and sent everything from hand-knitted socks to medical equipment to the embattled UK, all labeled "From Your American Friends."

Flush with success from the Bundles campaign, Latham next founded "Bundled For America," devoted to helping Americans in need, a project that continued thruout the war era. After the war, she married a Scottish lord and as Lady Malcolm Douglas-Hamilton became a leading spokeswoman for Scottish-American friendship.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The last of the Philadelphia Bobbies, one of the best women's baseball teams of the twenties -- they were called the Bobbies because all the players wore bobbed hair. Unlike the Bloomer Girls, a number of whom actually *were* men.

Peacoat

Bartender
Country music star Mindy McCready was found dead Sunday at her home in Arkansas from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. She was 37. This after years of struggles with alcohol, drugs and mental illness.

McCready leaves behind two boys, one of whom is 10 months old. The infant's father, record producer David Wilson, killed himself last month.

Doesn't get much worse than this. PC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran